The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Cannot delete "unused except whole files" in Pro-Tools 7.0... why? Studio Headphones
Old 29th June 2007
Lives for gear

Cannot delete "unused except whole files" in Pro-Tools 7.0... why?

Hello.
I am having a problem with clearing out "unused except whole files" from sessions in pro-tools 7.0. I select the unused except whole files, but when I press clear, the program only gives me the option to remove from session, not to delete from hard drive... why is that??? Only when I select "unused" I get the option to permanetly delete from hard drive. Is there something I´m missing here- I remeber this function being pretty easy to execute in previous versions of pro-tools.
Please help me out a.s.a.p.
Thank you!
Old 29th June 2007
Lives for gear

Yes, you're missing something.

PT makes "regions" in files. When selecting "unused except whole files" only unused regions are selected, and these are just references to files and to parts of files, but not files themselves. So you'll only remove the info where that region starts and ends, but this info isn't stored in the audio file (it's stored in the session file) - so you can't delete it as you can delete a file. Will be deleted from the session file though. Removing unused regions will help in keeping your project organized.
When, in contrast, you permanently delete an audio file from disk, you are freeing some disk space. Deleting unused files will not only help in keeping your project organized, but also in keeping disk space available.
Old 29th June 2007
Lives for gear

^ good explanation, mate.

I really didn't feel like typin' all dat.
Old 30th June 2007
Lives for gear

Ok, so how do I then delete unused files to free up hard drive space?
Old 30th June 2007
Gear Maniac

try this..

check out any alternate playlists. That got me once!
Old 30th June 2007
Gear Nut

Press:

(SHIFT) + (COMMAND) + U

to select ALL unused regions AND files, and then:

(SHIFT) + (COMMAND) + B

to get the dialog where you can choose between just removing them from your region list or deleting them for good. The program won't let you delet parent regions of the ones you are using, but you could erase something that's also a part of a different session, so be careful.
Old 30th June 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernardo View Post
Press:

(SHIFT) + (COMMAND) + U

to select ALL unused regions AND files, and then:

(SHIFT) + (COMMAND) + B

to get the dialog where you can choose between just removing them from your region list or deleting them for good.
...but there is my problem. The dialog box only offers me "remove from session", not "delete from hard-drive".
Old 30th June 2007
Lives for Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einar View Post
...but there is my problem. The dialog box only offers me "remove from session", not "delete from hard-drive".
check the Play lists....

Heres a work around and a safe way to do it

1.Open session

2.Consolidate ALL the tracks

3. Select unused files and remove from session

4. Save Copy In, Check the all audio files box ... (save to another drive if you can)

5. Close session (Dont Save)

6. Open Copy of Session

now you should have only the consolidated tracks in the new session

Look in the new session Audio files folder and make sure all your files are there and no unwanted files

Just be sure not to save the session in case you make any unwanted changes

Old 30th June 2007
Gear Nut

That's because there are no unused whole files in your selection, only regions. You probably already removed the parent regions before (without erasing them), and now they are in your Audio Files folder, but not in your session. Or you may not have anything else to remove. You do know that the regions that appear in bold in the region list refer to the actual whole files, right?

And as long as you keep using the "Select Unused Regions Except Whole Files" thing, you will NEVER select something that can be deleted.
Old 30th June 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernardo View Post
That's because there are no unused whole files in your selection, only regions. You probably already removed the parent regions before (without erasing them), and now they are in your Audio Files folder, but not in your session. Or you may not have anything else to remove. You do know that the regions that appear in bold in the region list refer to the actual whole files, right?

And as long as you keep using the "Select Unused Regions Except Whole Files" thing, you will NEVER select something that can be deleted.
Ok, so I should select unused and delete them? Will I then delete every alternative playlist and hidden (usused) parts of regions in the session..?
Old 3rd July 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einar View Post
Ok, so I should select unused and delete them? Will I then delete every alternative playlist and hidden (usused) parts of regions in the session..?
Unless you have already removed the files you wanted to delete, then I really don't know what you could do to free your space. Maybe clean up your session for good (deleting unused playlists and removing all unused audio, in that order), save a session copy WITH all audio files, start working from the copy and throw away the original folder (but test the session copy before you do that).
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search