The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Whats your desert island vocal compressor?
Old 8th June 2020
Gear Head
Retro 176
Old 8th June 2020
Lives for gear

Cheating with 2; Sta into 176
Old 9th June 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenLMorgan View Post
Cheating with 2; Sta into 176
2 individually great compressors! That’s just being greedy
Old 9th June 2020
Buzz SOC 20
Old 9th June 2020
Lives for gear

Retro STA Level.
Old 10th June 2020
Dave Hill's Titan
Old 10th August 2020
Lives for gear

I've got a STA Level and a 176. Interested in the BG2 and wondering how it compares to them.
Old 10th August 2020
Odd how no one has mentioned an La2a. I guess it's not the fashion right now. For me it's a near essential for getting vocals. 1-2b compression on the way in and maybe another slight amount at mix depending on what I'm going for and it's a record.
Old 10th August 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbirge View Post
Odd how no one has mentioned an La2a. I guess it's not the fashion right now. For me it's a near essential for getting vocals. 1-2b compression on the way in and maybe another slight amount at mix depending on what I'm going for and it's a record.
I predominately use an LA-2A. Agreed 100%.

I think after the whole Cl1b craze, people moved on. Sucks for them.
Old 10th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbirge View Post
The LA2A is many things, but to me not a “desert island” comp. The one I use is a vintage silverface and its prominent color and texture doesn’t work for every voice or every production. I like to use it like you, just a db or two on the way down, but most often chasing an 1176.
Old 10th August 2020
CL1B or Distressor

Both are very versatile, the Distressor maybe even more when it comes to creative mixing.
That said, I kept my CL1B for it’s smoothness and sold my Distressor.

I think it’s a matter of taste. Try them both and keep your favorite.

Last edited by djivano; 10th August 2020 at 08:58 PM..
Old 10th August 2020
Gear Maniac

I was really leaning heavily on my Audioscape Opto, but my V-Comp went in the rack and, oh boy, I’ve never set a vocal in place so quickly in my life.
Old 10th August 2020
POM PYE
Old 10th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomiBabi View Post
I predominately use an LA-2A. Agreed 100%.

I think after the whole Cl1b craze, people moved on. Sucks for them.
I haven’t moved on yet. The LA-2A is incredible, but the attack and release time don’t offer the flexibility of the CL1B. The CL1B also has a magic sheen that I haven’t been able to find from any other unit, something with the highs and air, I haven’t been able to achieve this with EQ. I understand if you may not want this on a grunge track or old school Motown vocal, but I find it gorgeous
Old 10th August 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepilgrimsdream View Post
I haven’t moved on yet. The LA-2A is incredible, but the attack and release time don’t offer the flexibility of the CL1B. The CL1B also has a magic sheen that I haven’t been able to find from any other unit, something with the highs and air, I haven’t been able to achieve this with EQ. I understand if you may not want this on a grunge track or old school Motown vocal, but I find it gorgeous
Great comp no doubt. Like a more modern and more controllable la2a.

BTW, that new TubeTech tilt EQ looks amazing. Prob my next big buy.
Old 11th August 2020
Gear Addict

GML 8900. You can do just about anything with that. Kill it without hearing it or just touch it. Amazing piece of gear.
Old 11th August 2020
Lives for gear

The Atomic Squeezebox. It’s just so good.
Old 11th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagelove View Post
The Atomic Squeezebox. It’s just so good.
I’d be interested to know more about this? Can you shape a vocal with it and really push it forward in a big or unobtrusive way?
Old 13th August 2020
Gear Nut

Langevin DVC. Not really "high end," but clean enough to not ever be all that wrong, with enough mojo to usually be right, or at least right-ish. And never takes more than 30 seconds to dial in, even with the extra little bit of EQ.
Old 13th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggy Neve Slut View Post
I’d be interested to know more about this? Can you shape a vocal with it and really push it forward in a big or unobtrusive way?
Honestly, you can practically do anything with it, except make it sound bad. I’m sure I’m not the first to admit I had to set it to destroy, and then hit the bypass button to make sure it was working. It is the most transparent compressor I’ve ever experienced. It makes an Aphex 651 blush. No ****.
Old 13th August 2020
Lives for gear

Thanks.. you’ve piqued my interest.!!
Old 16th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggy Neve Slut View Post
It’s so clean and transparent, it’s crazy. Allows you to push the vocals right up front... I know a lot of people use this phrase, but it really is completely different from other compressors.
📝 Reply