The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Tritonaudio FetHead vs. FetHead Germanium
Old 3rd June 2020
Tritonaudio FetHead vs. FetHead Germanium

Hello there,

in case anyone is interested: since I couldn't really find a good comparison between the two FetHead Versions, I made one myself.

I recently bought a matched stereo pair of the Nohype Audio LRM-2b ribbon mics. I love these mics, they sound great on almost anything, but of course the preamps of my Focusrite Clarett 4Pre Interface have to be pushed to literally their limit when recording a picked nylon guitar with them.

So I bought the two FetHead versions and made some tests with the ribbons, each with a FetHead and with different instruments. I think the difference is subtle but audible. Generally, for me the germanium version made the sound a bit more "open", with more high mids and a little less bass. BUT also it had less gain than the normal version although it should even have 2 dB more (29 vs. 27 for the normal version), and to my ears a little bit more noise.

What do you think? Do you hear a difference? Which version do you prefer?

Guitars and shaker played roughly in 50-70cm distance to the mics, double bass ca 1m, voice maybe 30cm. Please excuse my blatantly low singing skills. Chain: LRM-2b as close as I could put them near each other, into the different FetHeads, into the Clarett 4Pre, "Air" setting of the interface off, no further processing.
Attached Files

doublebass_germanium.wav (3.70 MB, 972 views)

doublebass_normal.wav (3.70 MB, 960 views)

nylonguitar1_germanium.wav (6.31 MB, 1012 views)

nylonguitar1_normal.wav (6.31 MB, 999 views)

shaker_germanium.wav (861.4 KB, 977 views)

shaker_normal.wav (861.4 KB, 983 views)

steelguitar_germanium.wav (2.19 MB, 1007 views)

steelguitar_normal.wav (2.19 MB, 1009 views)

voice_germanium.wav (2.24 MB, 1041 views)

voice_normal.wav (2.24 MB, 1031 views)

Old 3rd June 2020
Here's a quick mixdown of voice and guitar with the 2 respective versions, both tracks now with lowcut at 80Hz and normalized.
Attached Files

night_and_germanium.wav (2.24 MB, 1079 views)

night_and_normal.wav (2.24 MB, 1076 views)

Old 4th June 2020
Update: after like 5 or 6 times connecting and disconnecting the FetHead Germanium to mics, the plug disconnected from the housing... All in all the germanium version doesn't hold up to its promises: gain is lower than it should be, noise is quite a bit more, and now it broke! I don't know when that will happen to the normal version...
Old 28th June 2020
Here for the gear

hey roman_, thank you so much for sharing this!
i am in very similar situation, but i plan to use the fetheads to do stereo recordings, so i want them to be a pair of the same type, and this thead is a life saver.

i'm gonna put some time in listening to the recordings you uploaded.

however, did you contact triton about the the germanium one that broke, and in case, did they repair it or something?
📝 Reply