The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Lexicon LXP15 vs PCM80
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronos147 View Post
Yes!

I think that is the sound I was hearing, and why I turned the modulation off or down on the PCM 90.

FWIW, I sold a Lexicon 200, my main reverb, and replaced it with the PCM 90 (to save rack space ). While it has been a couple of years, my recollection is there wasn't any (or little) modulation on the 200.
Modulation is a personal taste thing... you need to set as you like it, but don't remove it when available. The PCM algorithms often have two sets of "modulation", controlled by different parameters. One is more of a traditional delays modulation and the other is randomization, a very nice one. It takes a bit of work to get familiar with them... but once mastered.... they're fun and musical.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by italo de angelis View Post
and the other is randomization, a very nice one.
Let's just say I know of a way to make two oscillators not beat in too predictable a pattern, and I'm going to reuse that (and I may have other options too)...
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Modulation is a personal taste thing... you need to set as you like it, but don't remove it when available...
It takes a bit of work to get familiar with them... but once mastered.... they're fun and musical.
Yeah, the 90 sounded fat.

I have it in the back of my head that if I want it for a mix, I can pull it out from the 'dead' rack and get a couple of hours out of it.

I was digging my patches.

The Eventide is quite nice, and I also still use the PCM60 for other elements at the same time (and at times the PCM70). I have those on one of the aux sends. Pan left, PCM60, right, PCM70, pan center, both.

Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronos147 View Post
Yeah, the 90 sounded fat.

I have it in the back of my head that if I want it for a mix, I can pull it out from the 'dead' rack and get a couple of hours out of it.

I was digging my patches.

The Eventide is quite nice, and I also still use the PCM60 for other elements at the same time (and at times the PCM70). I have those on one of the aux sends. Pan left, PCM60, right, PCM70, pan center, both.

Be aware that the PCM power section is easily replace_able.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sein83 View Post
Hey slutz,

I heard some comparison of the LXP15 and PCM80 and seem to find that LXP sounds not so far away from the PCM.
I have an option to get the lxp for about 70$ or pcm80 for 350$.
Do you think it is still worth getting the 80 even though lxp sounds very close and a fraction of its price? Can lxp do stereo delays like the 80?
I mainly would use it with analog synths.

Thx
Should you buy a 1980s dodge probe or a 1990s Toyota Supra? Neither will work well in 2020. One costs a lot more than the other, but at least she was beautiful once.

If I had to buy one I’d buy the lxp15. It is cheaper and will leave over more money to buy software reverbs. But neither would be my choice. I used to wrestle with an lxp5 in 1988 trying to make it work on a portastudio with 8 tracks on cassette, and it still wasn’t great then.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuwGPhillips View Post
Should you buy a 1980s dodge probe or a 1990s Toyota Supra? Neither will work well in 2020. One costs a lot more than the other, but at least she was beautiful once.

If I had to buy one I’d buy the lxp15. It is cheaper and will leave over more money to buy software reverbs. But neither would be my choice. I used to wrestle with an lxp5 in 1988 trying to make it work on a portastudio with 8 tracks on cassette, and it still wasn’t great then.
I use a PCM80 and an 81 every day Why it wouldn't work in 2020... makes absolutely no sense.
Having owned 2 LXP-1s and a 5 with the MRC... I say go for the PCM. It's a whole different, better and way more powerful device. Adding the Dual FX card gives infinite possibilities to it.
Get the pleasure to work at true line level and with much better algorithms.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:

hey thx for your suggestion but i eventually got the pcm80 and couldn't be happier with it
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
hey thx for your suggestion but i eventually got the pcm80 and couldn't be happier with it
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Good. I would be happy driving a 1990s Supra as well. Until I had to drive cross country, or use it to commute to work, at least.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Good. I would be happy driving a 1990s Supra as well. Until I had to drive cross country, or use it to commute to work, at least.
At least it's a real car... not an image on a screen!
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
At least it's a real car... not an image on a screen!
To stretch an analogy too far, we all now commute to work via images on the screen, rather than using internal combustion engines.

But the PCM80 is cool, like a Supra, and I am sure you will have fun with it.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

The LXP-15 can be cool too: there are 5 Programmable Expression Pedal inputs that can be integrated within a larger setup for some extra sonic mayhem.

Some things to look out for on second-hand units.

Sounds great.

There are some potential mods to improve the sound too: firmware update, analogue section mods, change of some ICs, etc...
Old 2 days ago
Gear Maniac

Delay experiments.

Italo, I haven't forgotten you nor the tests, I will get to them but I'm still not feeling 100%, so not sure of the timeline.

So I expect some audio clips to be done at one point and then we can listen to a few configurations.

Technically, we can expect glitches in some configurations, and, as I posited, none in certain specific ones and within those, we'd need to stay within recommended parameters (might explain why I don't remember glitches here).

Last edited by YashN; 1 day ago at 06:51 AM..
📝 Reply