The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Looking for detailed, analytical Headphones!
Old 14th May 2020 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by uOpt View Post
To me, my DT 770 250 ohm is a very analytical competitor below $300 (and more so than the 80 ohm brother).
The problem with those is two fold:
1) the impedance
2) without a decent headphone amp like a Grace 9xx or Benchmark, etc. that provides ample power.....they are WEAK in power specs at 100mW...

Otherwise, yes, they are fantastic headphones....Unlike the 80 ohm and 32 ohm versions.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius Music View Post
The problem with those is two fold:
1) the impedance
2) without a decent headphone amp like a Grace 9xx or Benchmark, etc. that provides ample power.....they are WEAK in power specs at 100mW...

Otherwise, yes, they are fantastic headphones....Unlike the 80 ohm and 32 ohm versions.
I find that the DT770 250 ohm are not nearly as hard to drive as their reputation says. A Macbook for example does it reasonably well.
Gear Addict

Quote:
WOW! So you WERE serious! OK! Where do a start? And how do I go about accomplishing this?
Actually I was seriously sarcastic. Or sarcastically serious. It is a crazy idea, but I can't help but wonder if the entire music industry is missing an untapped market with bespoke mixes.

I could argue that most listening these days is done by peeps using headphones or earbuds, which are like headphones but sound much worse.

Anyhow the music delivery biz is still hooked on mixing on speakers for playback on speakers. Gearslutz spend thousands on high end monitor speakers that 'translate'. IMO, everything is lost in translation.

The best mix on speakers will never be the best mix on phones. Physics and psychoacoutics will not be denied.

In the era of downloads or streams, people should be given the option to choose. Speaker mix or Headphone mix. Or both.

That's the starting point, not the end. Custom mixes for specific playback systems could be the audio equivalent of on-demand 3D printing. But, with less waste and printer repairs.

The idiots and morons that run the mega-labels are missing one of their old fav sales devices - making people re-buy the same recordings on different formats. But in this custom mix/master case, people would have a choice that actually sounds better, for their devices and desires.

Including the mastering in this as well. Could finally end the loudness wars forever. Or at least offer a way to opt out of the radio-mix crushed and killed sonics.

How do we do get this started? All it would take is an industry leader like, Mixerman, and probably as little as a billion dollars to turn this one-size-fits-all aural dictatorship into something that makes the sonic world a more diverse and creative place.
Old 14th May 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
And CABLES, I can understand because I'm one of those who'd happily spend a boatload of money on uber expensive power cables, speaker cables, and cable risers if for no other reason than giving my audiophile system a fantastic polished look. Although in many cases, I can personally attest that higher quality cables CAN make a MASSIVE difference in your sound.

Zaolla back in the day made some of the most amazing quality cables I had ever heard in my life because they used solid silver connectors and locking RCA interconnects that I had never seen before and I have two 8-channel 1/4 inch TS - RCA snakes that I paid $480 for each one.

The quality of these cables CLOBBER ALL my Mogami cables and I hear a huge difference in my sound using them. And given the quality of my OASYS, they are a perfect match to bring out the kind of quality it delivers.

They have since completely changed their designs and I'm NOT a fan of this new design. I do like the braided look on some of the cables, but the connectors don't look as nice as the older designs they used to have....I'd much rather have Vovox, Canare, or Klotz or Cordial nowadays than Zaolla because of this change. Not to mention, raising their prices to the point where even I question whether or not it's truly worth the extra cost...

Now, to what EXTENT cables deliver a sonic difference and where one draws the line between legitimate differences and snake oil prices, I don't know.

But in my own personal experience, I've heard substantial differences in cables from speaker wires and cables to RCA, TRS and XLR cables, etc. Even upgrading a POWER cable, I can hear a difference. It could be a placebo effect, but I don't care. Placebo or not, I HEAR a difference and that's all that matters to me.

On the other hand, buying a super expensive high quality audiophile USB cable that costs hundreds or thousands of dollars for your DAC? THAT is questionable to me. Will it really make THAT much of a difference over a good higher quality USB at a fraction of the cost? Especially with a battery pack to boost the signal path? I'm the first to admit, probably not. Because it's a digital signal path that transmits DATA from one device to another. It's NOT an analog signal path where EVERYTHING matters down to the quality of the internal internal wiring and what type of solder is used.

In a digital signal path jitter is a crucial factor, but to what extent does it become snake oil? Again, I don't know and I'm not gonna knock it until I've tried it for myself which if money was no object, I'd love to try it out and see for myself. Until then, I'll leave that to the unbiased and legit expert reviewers and draw my own conclusions from what they say.
I rest my marketing case. You find great value in $480 snakes and possibly their oil. I would make my own from leftover shorted/busted cables with only and a faulty iron and a bad attitude - and save at least $80.

More choice is always better than no choice. Why does mixing/mastering have to target a single hypothetical device that no one uses? Why not offer a broad range and let the market decide? Unless the market decides on the crushed radio-mixes, then we just sellout - fast.
📝 Reply