The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
EV 635A crew - what pres are you using?
Old 8th April 2020
  #1
Here for the gear
 

EV 635A crew - what pres are you using?

Hey y'all
I'm looking to up my vocal and (electric) guitar recordings on the cheap - came into a bit of spare cash recently and have done nothing but but sit here for hours with 100s of browser tabs open trying to figure out how best to spread my budget out (about £500).
I've gone from thinking I'll buy second hand condensers and pres to cheapo ribbons and pres, cloudlifters and re20 etc. etc. to deciding actually the EV 635A I already have (got a 57 and 58 as well) is pretty well suited to my voice already. I've noticed from some old threads a few comments saying they can be great mics with good pres.. it already sounds way better than either of the Shures. I'm going into a NI Komplete Audio 6 - I tried it through a Korg D888 I've had collecting dust for a few years but didn't get much out of that other than noise.
I think I've got it down to either.. Black Lion Auteur, RNP 8380, Focusrite ISA One or ART MPA II.
Anyone using these preamps with it? If not what are you using?
Thanks in advance - I'm gonna go nuts if I don't close those tabs soon.
Show replies
Old 8th April 2020
  #2
Lives for gear
 

Fellow EV 635a lover here, and now the Soyuz Launcher too!
An excellent (sleeper) vocal mic, that's a complement to the EV 635a is the "Beyer M88-ish" AKG D790.

"Net net bottom line enhancement" of the Launcher, is to make things "fuller"/more up front.
Saves on using compression too.

Some acapella clips for your review, below...
Show replies
Attached Files
Old 8th April 2020
  #3
Here for the gear
 

I don’t think I’ll be much help, but I have two 635a’s, and use them with a Hamptone tube pre, and Steinberg UR 242 preamps. I have yet to try them on vocals and electric guitar, which I will eventually. Mainly have been using them for acoustic guitar and percussion.
The Launcher sounds cool, might have to get one or two of those!
Show replies
Old 8th April 2020
  #4
Here for the gear
 

Thanks for the replies guys - hot damn those acapellas were useful, I think the Soyuz might be what I'm looking for. Just ordered and finally closed all those tabs. Cheers, will let you know how I get on
Show replies
Old 8th April 2020
  #5
Here for the gear
 

Oh and as for the AKG, can't find any for sale in UK but will keep an eye out
Show replies
Old 8th April 2020
  #6
Lives for gear
 
bowzin's Avatar
I'd check out perhaps the Golden Age Project "Premier" Pre73, or whatever the newest blue/grey one is that comes with Carnhill transformers. That's about the cheapest one I'm aware of that has Carnhills.

Neve style pre's seem to really pair well with many dynamics for me, so that's what I'd look into.
Show replies
Old 8th April 2020 | Show parent
  #7
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowzin View Post
I'd check out perhaps the Golden Age Project "Premier" Pre73, or whatever the newest blue/grey one is that comes with Carnhill transformers. That's about the cheapest one I'm aware of that has Carnhills.
Most of the reading I have done people claim the Carnhills don't change the sound all that much and that the stock GAP transformers are quite good.

I have a pair of Pre73 DLX that have the tantalum caps and the standard GAP transformers and they sound nice but I haven't ever had the chance to compare them against the Carnhills.

I would say the Pre73 is a good deal in almost any version except maybe the MKI which had some grounding issues. Even so the MKI was somewhat easy to fix from what I remember if you are handy with a soldering iron.
Show replies
Old 8th April 2020
  #8
Lives for gear
 

FWIW I'm so happy with the Launcher, I'll probably chill on Hardware Pre's unless...
I really end up wanting a Daking Mic Pre One.
(based on an A Range Trident console BTW)

D770 is same mic as D790, minus as much
of a pop filter/screen. Beyer M88TG is a
stone cold Classic, and worth the extra $$.
(they have a beautiful tone all their own)

Thomann is a good source for Beyer BTW.
Chris
P.S. Thanks Lady DB for listening!
Show replies
Old 9th April 2020
  #9
Gear Guru
 
Drumsound's Avatar
Mostly I just use my console pres.
Show replies
Old 9th April 2020
  #10
Gear Maniac
 
ljona's Avatar
 

Presonus ADL600 tube pre
Show replies
Old 9th April 2020
  #11
Lives for gear
 
retractablezing's Avatar
 

I use my 635 and my other EVs with an Ampex 601 and then into a 4 track. They also sound absolutely great set to high-z and straight into the 4 track preamps, surprisingly gainy and low noise, but that's a very specific thing. In general, i always find that old dynamics gain a different humph and richness when used with a well designed, transformer coupled preamp, with a healthy amount of gain, properly impedance matched. My taste leads me to late 50s no negative feedback valve topology. I find that to be a great match. But i'm sure they sing with that Hamptone HVTP2 someone mentioned up there as well and many other things. Transformers help, there's a different weight to things.
Show replies
Old 9th April 2020
  #12
Lives for gear
 

IMHO that's exactly the effect of the Launcher,
on even Prosumer Pre's, like on what I have.
Audiobox/MBox2/Onyx based USB interfaces
Chris
Show replies
Old 9th April 2020
  #13
I use 635A for vocals with any pre around, and I like the results. SCA-N72, Sound Devices, NEVE 5024, UA610, Grace 101, Audient ASP880, they all work great with the 635. You need the right environment, because it's an OMNI, of course. That aspect far outweighs the preamp choice. That Omni aspect might be the thing you like about it over 57 and 58, which can get heavy-handed sounding in a studio environment.

I'm was actually just last night using it to record a vocal with a cheap preamp, a Soundcraft Signature board, (chain = 635>Ghost pre>HA609A>Sound Devices MIXpreD as interface), and it's working wonderfully with that cheap Ghost preamp. No complaints at all. But yeah, environment is king.
Show replies
Old 9th April 2020
  #14
Lives for gear
 

Yep. No more than 2-3" away from my EV 635a Omni, when I use it. Sometimes 1".
Chris
Show replies
Old 9th April 2020 | Show parent
  #15
Gear Maniac
 
lucasanything's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by retractablezing View Post
My taste leads me to late 50s no negative feedback valve topology. I find that to be a great match. But i'm sure they sing with that Hamptone HVTP2 someone mentioned up there as well and many other things. Transformers help, there's a different weight to things.
Does the Hamptone tube pre use negative feedback or no?

I agree that old tube pres can make old dynamics come alive like nothing else.
Show replies
Old 10th April 2020
  #16
Gear Guru
 
Drumsound's Avatar
Here's my latest use of 635a. Room mics, taped to the floor ala Steve Albini
Show replies
Attached Thumbnails
EV 635A crew - what pres are you using?-635a-pair.jpg  
Old 10th April 2020
  #17
Gear Head
 
JohnnyShotgun's Avatar
 

I own a 635L and love the way it sounds, it’s some kind of vintage sound, Omni doesn’t have proximity effect but you should use it in a quiet environment
Show replies
Old 10th April 2020 | Show parent
  #18
Lives for gear
 
retractablezing's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasanything View Post
Does the Hamptone tube pre use negative feedback or no?

I agree that old tube pres can make old dynamics come alive like nothing else.
I think the Hamptone HVTP2 is somewhat close to the RCA BC-3C, according to people that know more than i do here at the forum, so, that being the case, it would have some negative feedback, yes. I'm sure it's a wonderful preamp, though, despite that.

If i didn't own my modified Ampex, that's certainly a preamp i'd try and probably the only one i'd own. But then again, that's easy for me to say, i very rarely need more than 2 channels. With that said, i'm all for using the same preamp on everything, i don't subscribe to the popular Gslutz theory of owning multiple types. Anyway, the lack of output control for added versatility/tones on the HVTP2 could be very easily overcome with a simple Shure pad.
Show replies
Old 11th April 2020
  #19
Here's my 635 on lead and BG vocals. I first sang this with a U87, and then recut it with the 635... and decided I liked the sound of the 635 better. Go figure. No EQ at all. The chain mentioned above... 635>Ghost preamp>HA609A>Sound Devices>Computer. The Harmonium is recorded with the same mic and chain also.
Show replies
Attached Files

Superman 4_11.mp3 (8.42 MB, 1012 views)

Old 11th April 2020
  #20
Lives for gear
 

Sounds great Kenny!

IMHO there's a subtle/unique "dreamy" vibe... That the tone of a well recorded EV 635a, or RE50 has.
Chris
Show replies
Old 11th April 2020 | Show parent
  #21
Gear Guru
 
Drumsound's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennybro View Post
Here's my 635 on lead and BG vocals. I first sang this with a U87, and then recut it with the 635... and decided I liked the sound of the 635 better. Go figure. No EQ at all. The chain mentioned above... 635>Ghost preamp>HA609A>Sound Devices>Computer. The Harmonium is recorded with the same mic and chain also.
I love this, Kenny. What a cool song and production.
Show replies
Old 11th April 2020 | Show parent
  #22
Gear Addict
 
Dr. Jule's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
Here's my latest use of 635a. Room mics, taped to the floor ala Steve Albini
I want to hear this please! Looks like it sounds good
Show replies
Old 11th April 2020 | Show parent
  #23
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
Sounds great Kenny!

IMHO there's a subtle/unique "dreamy" vibe... That the tone of a well recorded EV 635a, or RE50 has.
Chris
Right on, yeah. That's exactly why I liked it better than the 87 in this case, which sounded more detailed and articulate. This fit the song vibe much better. Subtle difference, but big impact in context.
Show replies
Old 11th April 2020 | Show parent
  #24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
I love this, Kenny. What a cool song and production.
Thanks Tony! Appreciated. This is what happens when you get stuck in the house for three weeks. Feelings of despair gonna leak out into something

For the record, that's my old Pearl kit, single mono OH (AKG451), and close kick (RE20) and snr (57) mics. Three mics.

Did you have those floor mics working with the "Mangle" song? Can't recall if you mentioned that.
Show replies
Old 11th April 2020 | Show parent
  #25
Gear Guru
 
Brent Hahn's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
I love this, Kenny. What a cool song and production.
Agreed -- the size and texture of the vocal are a great fit with the snare and electric guitar.
Show replies
Old 11th April 2020
  #26
Gear Guru
 
Drumsound's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Jule View Post
I want to hear this please! Looks like it sounds good
I'll try to remember to grab a sample for you, so long as the artist doesn't mine. He's a member here, so I doubt he will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennybro View Post
Thanks Tony! Appreciated. This is what happens when you get stuck in the house for three weeks. Feelings of despair gonna leak out into something

For the record, that's my old Pearl kit, single mono OH (AKG451), and close kick (RE20) and snr (57) mics. Three mics.

Did you have those floor mics working with the "Mangle" song? Can't recall if you mentioned that.
I know I used room mics, but I don't think it was these. I vary room mics more often than anything.
Show replies
Old 11th April 2020
  #27
This thread is making me want to disconnect my mkh416, dig down into the mic closet beyond my TLM 102, my Sony C-48, Senny MD421, and a couple dozen other condenser and dynamic mics to search for my EV 635a that's been buried in there for a good 40 years, just to see if it's any better than the last time I tried it... never could get beyond the lack of bottom end. Maybe I'm missing something?

Edit to add: dug down, found it, dusted it off, plugged it into a Cathedral Pipes Durham pre-booster to add a little juice activating that moving coil, then into a Safe Sound Audio Tracking Toolbox. Lack of bottom end not as terrible as I recall but the first time ever plugged into the Safe Sound Audio preamp. Guess I'll keep it another 40 years.
Show replies

Last edited by dwpthe3rd; 11th April 2020 at 11:31 PM..
Old 11th April 2020 | Show parent
  #28
Gear Guru
 
Brent Hahn's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwpthe3rd View Post
never could get beyond the lack of bottom end. Maybe I'm missing something?
Not as far as I'm concerned.
Show replies
Old 12th April 2020
  #29
Lives for gear
 

That's why I got the Launcher, to beef up the bottom end. A nice thick 1073 and/or LA2A style clone/Plug, will help similarly...
Chris
Show replies
Old 12th April 2020
  #30
Gear Guru
 
Drumsound's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwpthe3rd View Post
This thread is making me want to disconnect my mkh416, dig down into the mic closet beyond my TLM 102, my Sony C-48, Senny MD421, and a couple dozen other condenser and dynamic mics to search for my EV 635a that's been buried in there for a good 40 years, just to see if it's any better than the last time I tried it... never could get beyond the lack of bottom end. Maybe I'm missing something?

Edit to add: dug down, found it, dusted it off, plugged it into a Cathedral Pipes Durham pre-booster to add a little juice activating that moving coil, then into a Safe Sound Audio Tracking Toolbox. Lack of bottom end not as terrible as I recall but the first time ever plugged into the Safe Sound Audio preamp. Guess I'll keep it another 40 years.
Part of what makes the 635a and a lot of dynamics work in the mix is the roll off at the top and bottom.

How many "mix tips" threads, articles, youtube video and the like talk about judicious use of hi and low pass filters? If you just use mics that have some of the tailored in, and work with the source and placement, that work is done in advance. It also make it easer to figure out tone for overdubs.
Show replies
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 182 views: 75800
Avatar for dmdillman
dmdillman 6th May 2018
replies: 72 views: 9778
Avatar for muziksculp
muziksculp 21st September 2009
replies: 136 views: 22969
Avatar for beat you down
beat you down 10th September 2010
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump