The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tracking and mixing - and new way of thinking needed Control Surfaces
Old 4th November 2002
Motown legend

I think a lot of it must come down to doing exactly what's appropriate to the precise situation. Sometimes a project really benefits from the confidence that comes from having finished something everybody feels is exceptional.
Old 4th November 2002
Gear Head

SORRY BOUT THE CAPS CANT TURN EM OFF

THE DANGEROUS 2 BUSS WAS DESIGNED SO THAT THEY COULD SUM STEM MIXES AT STERLING TO MY KNOWLEDGE. ALAN @ WEST WEST SIDE HAS BEEN DOING THE STEM THING FOREVER AS WELL IT WORK FOR A LOT OF PEOPLE WHO CANT GET IT RIGHT AT THE MIX STAGE. IF YOU DONT HAVE CONFIDENCE IN YOUR FINAL PRODUXCT IT CAN BE A WONDER. I USED TO DO A INSTRUMENTAL AND A VOCAL STEM AND A 2 MIX AND WE D ALTER NEARLY EVERY SONG. NOW I JUST HAND HIM THE 2 MIXES, THOUGH I STILL DO THE INSTRUMENTAL AND VOCAL MIXES SO THE BAND HAS EM AND AS WELL TO SAVE MYSELF FROM RECALLING A MIX IF A BAND IS INSISSTENT ON A REMIX WHICH NEVER HAPPENS THHOUGH. I LET MY CLIENTS WHO HAVE PROVEN TO ME THEY KNOW HOW TO COMMIT THAT WE CAN DO THIS AND THATS IT.
SORRY BOUT THE CAPS CANT TURN EM OFF
Old 4th November 2002
Lives for gear

approach

Jules,
I think the 'one shot' approach is good if you need to shake the tree a bit. It provides instant gratification and gives everyone a lift. For the long haul, the 'creep and massage' approach is more effective for me because the end result sounds more cohesive and whole.
We all buy new gear and discover new techniques during a project. If one song
escapes our newfound compressor setting or whatever it is, that song sounds removed from the whole.
So.....the 'one shot' for EP's and promos. The 'massage' for entire projects.

The 'one shot' also can get a lot of people off your back during those overworked, underpaid, everyone needs it now periods.
cheers

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search