The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Can Coil Audio CA-70 handle ribbon mic?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Can Coil Audio CA-70 handle ribbon mic?

I have a Coil Audio CA-70 that I love to use for my vocals and was thinking about getting a ribbon microphone to use with it...specifically a Coles 4038.

Is there enough gain available in the Coil for using a 4038 on sources like acoustic guitar or vocals?

And will the Coles get along with the impedance o.k. from the Coil?

Thanks!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Probably, however, I used another great preamp and fed that signal to the Coil line level input. I can't test now as I sold my 4038, did not like the lack of a shock mount. BTW, sold off all my great ribbons except Beyer 160s which definitely benefit from Pueblo preamp impedance.

If you don't have another preamp (high quality and transparent) to feed the Coil line-level input, a relatively inexpensive option worth exploring is a Soyuz Launcher in front of the 70.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpeacock View Post
I have a Coil Audio CA-70 that I love to use for my vocals and was thinking about getting a ribbon microphone to use with it...specifically a Coles 4038.

Is there enough gain available in the Coil for using a 4038 on sources like acoustic guitar or vocals?

And will the Coles get along with the impedance o.k. from the Coil?

Thanks!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Or get the active, phantom powered Royer R-122 - 13dB more output
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

The CA70 is a low to mid gain micpreamp so it may be workable with a low ouput ribbon if you are dealing with fairly loud and close mics sources and you crank it. I haven't used a CA70 but as it's a fairly pricy high end preamp I would imagine you can probably use practically all of it's gain and have it sound good unlike cheap low gain preamps that get hissy as you exceed 4 o'clock or so on the knob.

Do you have a compressor or limiter?

If you run your preamp to a compressor many will work well as a line amp and get you another 10 or 20db of nice gain which would get you into a good range.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLast View Post
The CA70 is a low to mid gain micpreamp so it may be workable with a low ouput ribbon if you are dealing with fairly loud and close mics sources and you crank it. I haven't used a CA70 but as it's a fairly pricy high end preamp I would imagine you can probably use practically all of it's gain and have it sound good unlike cheap low gain preamps that get hissy as you exceed 4 o'clock or so on the knob.

Do you have a compressor or limiter?

If you run your preamp to a compressor many will work well as a line amp and get you another 10 or 20db of nice gain which would get you into a good range.
Yes, the chain would be the Coles into the Coil (unless I take one of the suggestions above and supplement the gain before going into the Coil), then into a Retro Sta Level, then to Daw.

I'm also considering inserting an EQ in that chain as well to lift the highs a bit going to DAW. That could be another gain supplement.

Thanks everyone!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

awesome on ribbons
stager mics! beautiful together
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

That Sta-Level might be perfect given the gain, (Total System Gain: 35dB (with standard input and output pads), noise becomes the variable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpeacock View Post
Yes, the chain would be the Coles into the Coil (unless I take one of the suggestions above and supplement the gain before going into the Coil), then into a Retro Sta Level, then to Daw.

I'm also considering inserting an EQ in that chain as well to lift the highs a bit going to DAW. That could be another gain supplement.

Thanks everyone!
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

A long time GS lurker chiming in here.......
Thats the exact set up I've been using lately.... 4038 > CA70 > Retro Sta or 1176. Plenty of gain but if not I'll stick in a Cloudlifter Z powerd by a Radial phantom box before the Coil.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search