The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
How important is a preamp A/D converter??
Old 22nd June 2007
Here for the gear

How important is a preamp A/D converter??

Hello, this is my first post...
I own an Mbox 2, M-Audio Monitors, and work with ProTools 7.1
I only record guitars with my PODxt direct, no amps, or speakers
Lately i've been considering getting an Apogee MiniMe and i was wondering how much difference would it make for this purpose...
I dont record vocals, or mic anything...
Can anyone give me some input??

thanks a lot...
David
Old 22nd June 2007
Lives for gear

To me it doesn't sound like it would benefit you in anyway if you are not recording much analog.
Old 22nd June 2007
Here for the gear

So for direct recording the preamp/converter on the MBOX does the same thing the Apogee would do?? there would be no difference?? if i would be micing an amp or recording a vocal THEN i would benefit from the Apogee...i see...
thanks a lot for your reply, this opens up my view...

ROCK ON
David
Old 22nd June 2007
Gear Nut

no you will still benefit alot from the apogees pres even if your going direct. When your plugging in direct, the mic pre becomes your instruments pre. If you have some crappy pre, its gunna sound crappy...
Old 22nd June 2007
Lives for gear

Well to me I think it would be well worth this person's money if they put $800 into a mic pre and used the converters on the MBox for what minimal of a setup he is doing - instead of putting $800 to A/D conversion when he's only going to be converting an all-in-one pre-amp.

Yes the Apogee MiniMe will definitely have better converters then the Mbox, and maybe a little bit better of a pre-amp, but not a huge difference.

The MiniMe is going to have a more transparent pre-amp, and if you are only using a POD for guitars its already going to be somewhat of a harsh signal so I would want to run it through a warm pre.

Its all in how you look at it - though I'm no expert.
Old 22nd June 2007
Lives for gear

Gonna have to dissagree guys. The PODxt is a digital device, and has a USB digital out, so skip all the ad/da coversion bull - stay digital, stash your money until your needs change.

Soundawg
Old 22nd June 2007
Lives for gear

OH... well if the PODxt is digital then screw it... forget the MiniME ad/da conversion bull - as Soundawg noted - and definitely save your cash. Buy some better monitors or something if you got money to burn.
Old 22nd June 2007
Here for the gear

Thanks a lot guys, this really helps as i make up my mind. I think i will go for the Apogee to warm up the signal from the POD and in case i wanna mic an amp or record something else...The MBox sounds great BTW but i now see the benefits of a good A/D converter and preamp...Iv'e done research and i like the MiniMe and it fits my budget but im wondering what you guys suggest on the same price range ($800)
Old 23rd June 2007
Lives for gear

Hmmm, you seem to have changed your original direction here.

I still recomend saving your cash in a gear fund until you are 'missing' something.

At this point you are not recording with a mic right?

Gear changes, improves, and comes down in price every day - so wait till you NEED it.

Besides - to go direct from the POD you would want to BYPASS the whatever preamp you may have - ok there are no rules and ayone can do anything - but your POD is a preamp, and going from one preamp into another preamp is shall we say 'not generally done'.

I also don't think you get a discernable warmer sound by using the mini... and you will have taken on two unnecessary conversions (da from the pod ad from the mini).

Your POD is already digital - you no need to convert!

I have read that a number of POD owners believe that their POD sounds much better without using its convertors, and just using the digital connection straight into the computer with no conversion.

At the very least you should try this first - and if you want to warm things up a little - fiddle with your tone controls.

Soundawg
Old 23rd June 2007
Lives for gear

If you're looking for something to warm up your POD gor for the Groove Tubes The Brick. That's what I use for the same purpose, works great.
Old 23rd June 2007
Here for the gear

Alright...thanks a lot for your responses, I'll research on the Groove Tubes DI...

ROCK ON
David
Old 23rd June 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by davixgt View Post
Thanks a lot guys, this really helps as i make up my mind. I think i will go for the Apogee to warm up the signal from the POD and in case i wanna mic an amp or record something else...The MBox sounds great BTW but i now see the benefits of a good A/D converter and preamp...Iv'e done research and i like the MiniMe and it fits my budget but im wondering what you guys suggest on the same price range ($800)
If you are recording guitars with a Pod and you want the signal to be "warm" at all, its going to take a lot more than some apogee converters. I dislike Pods in every way imaginable, but if you are going to use one I strongly suggest you stay digital to avoid further degradation with the low grade converters on the Pod.
Old 23rd June 2007
Lives for gear

Forget A/D. For mixing you may benefit from a good D/A converter. The MBox, IMHO, has marginal at best conversion. So, I'm thinking Apogee Mini-DAC might fit your bill.
Old 23rd June 2007
Gear Nut

ha ha... so many thoughts and different inputs..

I'd pick up an Xbox and drop the guitar...

no just kidding...

HAHA
Old 23rd June 2007
Here for the gear

JEJE...

ROCK ON
David
Old 23rd June 2007
Lives for gear

I have an 002 & a pod so my setup is similar to yours & I've messed around recording direct guitar different ways .

When I record my SG guitar - pod - api512 - then 002 , the guitar sound is twice as phat or even more then if I used the 002 pres . So getting a high end pre will make a huge difference ! And thats still using the Digi converters , If you get a good converter the sound will be much clearer ,

A High End pre should be first on your list , then a good converter ,
Old 25th June 2007
Here for the gear

Well, i made up my mind and bought the Groobe Tubes Brick...thanks a lot for your responses as it really helped me make up my mind...next i will try to get another one, for stereo, sound, and then maybe an Apogee MiniDac...
Hey MushroomKingdom, when you go from your preamp to the 002, are you using the Preamps on the 002 or one of the nonpreamp inputs??

Thanks guys
ROCK ON
David
Old 21st July 2007
Gear Head

STAY DIGITAL

Spend your money on a nice warm tube instrument pre that goes BEFORE the PODxt. That is the best way to warm up your guitar signal. You can use the SPDIF outs of the XT into your MBox. DUH
Old 21st July 2007
Gear Maniac

i just paired my lonely mbox with an api a2d running spdf and

man its the best thing i could have done my music sounds no much better

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search