The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
AKG K-271 STUDIO isolation experience? or DT-770?
Old 21st June 2007
AKG K-271 STUDIO isolation experience? or DT-770?

Hi,

I want to buy new headphones to use in noisy environment.

I do not want the best isolators on the market on the cost of the sound.
I want best possible soundquality at good isolation.. about 15-18dB it should be.

I listened to the AKG K-271 STUDIO and the Beyerdynamik DT-770 Pro. I can put up with the sound of both, whereas I found the AKG mor honest. but since the listening environment wasn't very noisy it was hard to tell which have better isolation. Beyer says it is 18dB. But AKG doesn't give any data on that.

Do you have any practical experience with the Isolation of the AKG compared the Beyers?

Or do you have any other sugestions for good isolation at a good sound?

Thanks
Old 22nd June 2007
bump :-)
Old 22nd June 2007 | Show parent
Gear Addict

I've got some AKG 271's here.. I like!

Though the wire construction is a little flimsy... the rubber sheath has come off the end of the mini-xlr end of the wire... craptastic.

Sound excellent.. isolation excellent.
Gear Head

IM a happy K271 user.....
Lives for gear

We have nine pairs of K271S and also two pairs of DT770s here.

Both provide good isolation and acceptable (ie very good for closed-cup phones) sound.

The really big difference from a functional perspective is that the K271S' have a switching system linked to the headband that turns them off when they aren't on someone's head. In tracking situations this is great because you don't have bleed from headphones that players have taken off (and you don't have to constantly keep track of which headphones are not in use and turn them off and then have to remember to turn them on again when they're next needed).

For that reason and also because we've found the DT770s sound is particularly good for vocal tracking (they seem to deal with the mids in a way which seems to be extra good for pitch and intelligibility), the 770s are ideal in the iso booth, but I tend to use the 271s most other places.
Thank you very much for your responses. If Isolation is comparable I think I go for the AKGs. I liked them a bit more.

As for the 770s do you know if the 770 pro sound same or similar as the 770M (those with super islolation for drummers)?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by analographi View Post
As for the 770s do you know if the 770 pro sound same or similar as the 770M (those with super islolation for drummers)?
I should clarify that my answer above was about the 770 "Pro" version.

I don't have any direct experience with the 770Ms. By repute their sound is comparable to the Pros.
📝 Reply