The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
I'm looking to buy a preamp and need help.
Old 27th February 2020
Here for the gear

I'm looking to buy a preamp and need help.

I have been making music for some time now, I have built up a studio where I'm happy with but now I want some upgrades. I'm looking to buy a preamp to better my sound quality, I produce rap and hip-hop and would love some help with preamps. As much as I would love to have an Avalon, unfortunately I don't have that sort of money. Any advice or help would be great.

Thankx
Old 27th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCmusics View Post
I have been making music for some time now, I have built up a studio where I'm happy with but now I want some upgrades. I'm looking to buy a preamp to better my sound quality, I produce rap and hip-hop and would love some help with preamps. As much as I would love to have an Avalon, unfortunately I don't have that sort of money. Any advice or help would be great.

Thankx
A few questions:
1. What mic(s) are you using?
2. Can you describe what you are missing in regards to your sound quality?
3. What is your budget?
4. What converters/interface are you using?
Old 27th February 2020
Lives for gear

People who know, know BAE.
Old 27th February 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendyamps View Post
Quote:

Thankx
A few questions:
1. What mic(s) are you using?
2. Can you describe what you are missing in regards to your sound quality?
3. What is your budget?
4. What converters/interface are you using?
I'm currently using a Neumann TLM 102, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, KRK 5 monitors with a Razor Blade as my computer, I'm missing clarity/loudness to the vocals, my one rapper has a lot of harsh highs in his vocal and the other rapper has a low vocal so I would want something that could work with both. My budget is £500 maximum but I could stretch to a little more if needed.
Old 27th February 2020
Gear Maniac

When I bought my first real preamp amp an engineer I had worked with recommended API. It’s versatile, not super expensive, and sounds good on just about anything.

Check out Warm Audio’s WA12 for that flavor. Warm also makes a 1073 style mic pre, either one would probably work.

I have not used those pres (I have actual API) but I’ve used the Warm WA2A and think they make good stuff.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by standup View Post
When I bought my first real preamp amp an engineer I had worked with recommended API. It’s versatile, not super expensive, and sounds good on just about anything.

Check out Warm Audio’s WA12 for that flavor. Warm also makes a 1073 style mic pre, either one would probably work.

I have not used those pres (I have actual API) but I’ve used the Warm WA2A and think they make good stuff.
Thank you for the advice, I've checked out the API and it's a bit out of my price range, I've also checked out the Warm Audio before, I wasn't sure if it would be a good buy or a waste of money, thank you so much though
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbvoxx View Post
People who know, know BAE.
I have to admit, I'm basically on that page now.

Really, I would prefer Neve 3104's, but good luck with that!

FWIW, I have been rocking Aurora Audio pre-amps for years. I have (2) GTP8's (16 channels) and (2) GTQ2's (A Mk. II & a Mk. III) for a total of 20 channels (plus the GT42 EQ, so 22 channels).

I put them head to head against the BAE 1272, and now that's what I prefer. They are close, but I like the BAE.

I am spending more than 2 times for the BAE as what I would pay for an Aurora. A GTP8, I paid about $4500 each ($9000\16) or about $560 per channel. I am paying about $1000 per channel for the BAE 1272, and that is uncertain (they are no longer being made as a mic pre).

FWIW, if I was not a commercial room, I would stick with the Aurora. It's not that different. If I'm competing against the other rooms in LA, everything I can do to make my product 'better' than the competition may be the difference between me being here another 20 years or not.

(P.S. and yes - I have Aurora Audio units for sale)
Old 4 weeks ago
JAT
Lives for gear
Low volume and and some high end harshness? Try a focusrite isa one. You can get them for your price range if you buy one one sale. The one is a transformer based pre but uses a lighter sounding transformer that gives one all the gain necessary without overwhelming thickness like a neve. Yet still rolls off some of the sharpness in the highs. And Should work well for the transients in rap.

The warm api model is another choice for $500 or so. Thicker (even than api) but still a solid pre you will keep.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronos147 View Post
I have to admit, I'm basically on that page now.

Really, I would prefer Neve 3104's, but good luck with that!

FWIW, I have been rocking Aurora Audio pre-amps for years. I have (2) GTP8's (16 channels) and (2) GTQ2's (A Mk. II & a Mk. III) for a total of 20 channels (plus the GT42 EQ, so 22 channels).

I put them head to head against the BAE 1272, and now that's what I prefer. They are close, but I like the BAE.

I am spending more than 2 times for the BAE as what I would pay for an Aurora. A GTP8, I paid about $4500 each ($9000\16) or about $560 per channel. I am paying about $1000 per channel for the BAE 1272, and that is uncertain (they are no longer being made as a mic pre).

FWIW, if I was not a commercial room, I would stick with the Aurora. It's not that different. If I'm competing against the other rooms in LA, everything I can do to make my product 'better' than the competition may be the difference between me being here another 20 years or not.

(P.S. and yes - I have Aurora Audio units for sale)

Again I don't have a massive budget for these beautiful preamps, I've used universal audio and a few other amazing pre's in professional studios but for me I only have a small home studio which I've been slowly building, so I've only got a small budget at the moment. I do have some what room treatment but I'm not going all out on treatment just yet because I'll be moving house soon.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Again I don't have a massive budget...
I was more responding to the suggestion to go BAE.

What are you using now? What are you trying to beat?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search