The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What Mic is this?
Old 15th February 2020
Here for the gear

What Mic is this?

I was watching a music video with artists Yo Gotti and I noticed this unique looking microphone that i have never seen before.

I tried using google lens and basic description searches and couldn't find it. Does any of the microphone experts know what brand or model this mic this is?
Attached Thumbnails
What Mic is this?-img_20200215_022202.jpg   What Mic is this?-img_20200215_022143.jpg  
Old 15th February 2020
Lives for gear
Rode NTR: Australian developed and made ribbon mic ?

http://www.rode.com/microphones/ntr
Old 16th February 2020
Welcome to Gearslutz!
Old 17th February 2020
Here for the gear

Wow, that was amazing you identified it so fast! Thanks. I will research it.
Old 18th February 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossus573 View Post
Depending on what type of music you're recording, and whether in a studio or on location, you'll find many reviews and discussions in the Remote Possibilitiess sub-forum here, and reviews/videos on YouTube. It's regarded as a good, well rounded sounding mic..suitable across a wide range of instruments plus voices. Main drawback seems to be largish size and reasonably weighty ( but not excessively so) Generally known as very good value for money, and extremely well designed and built !
Old 18th February 2020
Here for the gear

I will surely take note. It intrigued me how different it looked and if it can bring a new flavor then im all for it. I want to add about 8 more mics to the line up. I work with vocalists usually, and i got the basic types happy and now its time to have fun with the risky artists lol
Old 18th February 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
I will surely take note. It intrigued me how different it looked and if it can bring a new flavor then im all for it. I want to add about 8 more mics to the line up. I work with vocalists usually, and i got the basic types happy and now its time to have fun with the risky artists lol
I'm assuming you're talking about recording...I'm not sure it would be suitable as a stage mic for concerts with a PA and foldback speakers, since the fig 8 pattern has a strong rear pickup, which could easily generate a large about of screaming feedback, if used as a vocal PA mic !

However for studio work, a different story altogether !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAccj8x0Xmg
Old 18th February 2020
Lives for gear
Then you want to end up with about:

U47, U67, U87, C37, AEA44, C800G, ELAM251, MD441

There are your 8 great flavors. Now how much do you want to spend to get close?

U47-Flea, Lawson is not bad

U67-RI, AA-CM67se is not bad

U87 vintage Cant short change this one

AEA-44CE, Coles 4038 is not bad either

C37-Get Josphson, I found an MD3

C800G is to much, get AA-CM800

251-Bock, or flea

MD441, sometimes you want a moving coil

Make it 9, U49

Or you can replace a few with the odd ball stuff. Milab 96B, Euhlund, and the new one you found.
Old 18th February 2020
Here for the gear

Indeed for studio recording. I would fear a ribbon mic for a live with the way mics get dropped. I was able to check out lots of video and audio clips about the Rode NTR, I like how clear it was and the warmth. I kept hearing a bit of static distortion on the frequency response. I am not sure if they added too much input on the mic pre or it was the combo of proximity along with their instruments being played that challenged the mic...
Old 18th February 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegentdrum View Post
Then you want to end up with about:

U47, U67, U87, C37, AEA44, C800G, ELAM251, MD441

There are your 8 great flavors. Now how much do you want to spend to get close?

U47-Flea, Lawson is not bad

U67-RI, AA-CM67se is not bad

U87 vintage Cant short change this one

AEA-44CE, Coles 4038 is not bad either

C37-Get Josphson, I found an MD3

C800G is to much, get AA-CM800

251-Bock, or flea

MD441, sometimes you want a moving coil

Make it 9, U49

Or you can replace a few with the odd ball stuff. Milab 96B, Euhlund, and the new one you found.
Those are amazing mics! Pete at the local studio has tons of vintage mics. I haven't reach that level of mic fetish stardom yet. But, I will be spending 1k-1500 range on each. Any suggestions?
Old 19th February 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Lot of times video director will use whatever mic they think LOOKS cool for the scene. Don't assume he recorded the actual song with a ribbon. I highly doubt it anyway...
Old 19th February 2020
Lives for gear

My MXL V69 LOOKS the best! Reasonable rental rate.
Chris
Old 20th February 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by halcyo View Post
Lot of times video director will use whatever mic they think LOOKS cool for the scene. Don't assume he recorded the actual song with a ribbon. I highly doubt it anyway...
I'm hip, lol, most cases its a prop and very few hip-hop artist will use a ribbon unless they have a band too.

It was a stand out design. Me, personally I like to think out of the box and try new techniques and gear.
Old 20th February 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
Chris
To be honest if it gets you where you need to go then run with it!

Some of my affiliates use $199-$299 mics, found the right mixer settings and plugins to make great music.

One actually landed a mixing deal /creative director and he uses his AT2020 and Blue Spark and it gets by the ears of the label reps. It makes me cringe but at the same time, if it wins for him I am happy!
Old 20th February 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Chris

Some of my affiliates use $199-$299 mics, found the right mixer settings and plugins to make great music.

One actually landed a mixing deal /creative director and he uses his AT2020 and Blue Spark and it gets by the ears of the label reps. It makes me cringe but at the same time, if it wins for him I am happy!
Old 20th February 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Chris

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search