The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What gear gave you seller's remorse?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

What gear gave you seller's remorse?

What are your regrets? Are you considering re-buying? If you already did, post your losses (more tragic fun).

My losses are pretty small.

Sold my Behringer Uphoria 204HD interface for $50, rebought for ~$90. It was great, I just needed extra two inputs at the time, "upgraded" to a terrible Steinberg UR44 (should've gotten the Uphoria1820 for the same money instead, would've had no remorse now). Just reordered the 204HD back. That amazing feeling when you get your old girlfriend back, so right, so right...

Also looking to re-buy HS50m (not HS5, those are different) monitors which I had years ago ... I do have NS10s I'm just not crazy about them, I liked HS50m for that purpose so much more, looking back at my ancient mixes I did surprisingly well with them (when they were my only monitors, w/o a sub). Sold them for $200, same price they go for used, so no losses expected.
Old 1 week ago
Univox Super Fuzz. Selling that was stupid.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Tascam TSR-8 w/calibration tapes, demagnetizer and 8 ch. passive mixer setup. The heads were like 90% good and it had new motors and balancing from previous owner. Did my own calibrations with a scope and everything just worked. Thought I'd go full itb and figured if cards started dying it would be a nightmare to keep up so I let it go. Probably the right decision but I still miss it...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

No regrets really, but sometimes miss the ole' Eventide Harmonizer, Lexicon Prime Time and MXR 113, lol.
Old 1 week ago
The only gear I've ever sold in my life that I would re-buy for the sale price is an RMX16. Everything else has found a useful place in the world, and I don't need any of it back.
Old 1 week ago
I sold RODE NT5's for cheap. Probably should have kept them.

Sold an early 90's Strat for very cheap. Definitely should have kept it.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I've sold a lot of gear that was "out of style" at the moment, only to regret it later. Example; just a couple years ago, no one seemed to care about 414 BULS mics and I sold a matched pair for embarrassingly cheap. A friend of mine asked about them today and I told him you could get the ULS for $350ea "all day", only to find they're going for twice that now.

I hate when I find myself influenced by what's popular at the moment because, in my gut, I know what sounds good to me and I'm not usually one to be influenced by popular opinion.

I regret selling my funky Silvertone 2x12 (1484?). I didn't think it justified the stupid prices people are paying for those so I decided to cash in. Even though it wasn't "worth" what people pay for them, I still miss it and I didn't really need the money.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

The only thing I've ever sold that I maybe would want again is the Aurora GTQ2 mkIII. Its a really nice piece. I sold it shortly after my divorce, to deal with the move and all that entailed. It was an easy chunk of cash. I've sold a couple of mics, and not really missed them. Ususally they were redundant, or not really something I was digging a lot.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

It's just stuff. It comes, it goes.
If it doesn't get used it's gotta go to make room for something that will.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

The only piece of gear I regret selling is a 1996 Tubester CS-1 guitar preamp box from the original creator in Albuquerque, NM.

Made my solid state amp sound huge. Amazing tone.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Atari 1040St - the whole setup with monitors, disks and special rack unit went straight into the trash container. I was high on the color display of my new Macintosh clone , Ebay didn't exist and my neighbor swore his typewriter was more efficient than a computer.
Old 6 days ago
Original U67 and a pair of CMV563 with every capsule made. Divorce lawyer bills got them a few years ago and in that relatively short time the prices have appreciated so much that there is no way I'll be able to replace them. Also had a pair of RCA 77DX in great condition I sold many years prior that I'd love to have back, again not at current prices. Bought and sold a lot of stuff over the years, but those are the main regrets. I'm a firm believer of the old engineer adage "never sell your microphones" but sometimes there is no choice.

Also stupidly sold a fully expanded Emulator II+, had the rare CDROM unit and a mac to control it with, the whole shebang. Thought the X3 would make it obsolete and sold it to a museum across the pond. Pretty much instantly regretted it but as I don't really use much in the way of samples anymore that's not one I feel the need to replace.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1Greg View Post
What are your regrets? Are you considering re-buying? If you already did, post your losses (more tragic fun).

My losses are pretty small.

Sold my Behringer Uphoria 204HD interface for $50, rebought for ~$90. It was great, I just needed extra two inputs at the time, "upgraded" to a terrible Steinberg UR44 (should've gotten the Uphoria1820 for the same money instead, would've had no remorse now). Just reordered the 204HD back. That amazing feeling when you get your old girlfriend back, so right, so right...

Also looking to re-buy HS50m (not HS5, those are different) monitors which I had years ago ... I do have NS10s I'm just not crazy about them, I liked HS50m for that purpose so much more, looking back at my ancient mixes I did surprisingly well with them (when they were my only monitors, w/o a sub). Sold them for $200, same price they go for used, so no losses expected.
Sellers remorse should only apply to stuff like vintage guitars, amps and mics. Pretty much all modern electronic devices and guitars sound the same. They can all be replaced.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

My only seller's remorse story.

At one point, I tracked down a formerly rock-star owned '57 Strat. It wasn't even listed for sale, I had to track it down and convince the owner to sell. Later I came on financial hard times, and since I primarily use a '62 Strat, I sold that one (for good money). I have since replaced it with other 50s Strats, but that guitar was one of a kind.

At some point, I will track it down and buy it again.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

D'Angelico New Yorker

In the early 70s I needed money for college and traded my guitar made by D'Angelico himself for cash and a Martin D28. I subsequently sold the D28, late 70s to help support my education. At times I wonder where that beautiful guitar ended up. However, I initially got the D'Angelico as a straight trade for a Gibson SG that I purchased for 150 dollars from a cowboy that kept it stored under his trailer.
Old 6 days ago
In the late 1980's i sold my 1970's LUDWIG Vistalite 6 piece set. I still am sad and I wonder what they are doing right now?
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

i dont sell much stuff at all.

but i have gifted many things, to poorer persons than myself, on many, many, occasions.

if someone actually needs it, and you dont, then its Good Karma.

for example, and just from memory

Atari 1040 Ste
Mac G3 with ultra-wide Drives.
various PCs from the 90s.
Mac G4-dual800
Midex Plus sync box.

Adats Black face times 4
Adats Silver times 4

Tascam Dat players times 2
Panasonic 3800

Ensonic VFX (the kid down the road got that)
roland Cube gtr amp
Roland S750 sampler and library. (that cost 4k from memory)

a number of budget microphones, whose name i cant remember....

Tascam 216 mixer.
Fostex R8

if i want to rearlly think about it, there is way more stuff on the list.

Buddha
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Lucky to just have one... Mint Beyer M88TG sold for what I paid for it-$150! Oh well, live n' learn. Sure I'll get one back eventually.

Working through/learning what I have now first. But they'll be a Soyuz Launcher coming pretty soon.
Chris

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search