The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Why do transformers make stuff sound heftier?
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Why do transformers make stuff sound heftier?

Why do transformers make a signal sound bigger/heftier?
Old 5 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by erike123 View Post
Why do transformers make a signal sound bigger/heftier?
I guess in a general way they do, but not always. I've made up iso boxes with balanced output trimmers using maybe 8 or 9 different kinds of transformers ranging from very vintage to very modern, and they've all done something different. Especially when pushed hard.

I'd love to know in a more technical way what's going on, but I don't feel like I need to know.

The one person I've talked to who really seems to have a grip on the science of it is Avedis of Avedis Audio -- I had a great conversation with him about it a couple of NAMMs ago. I say "great conversation," but most of what he said sailed straight over my head, while he kept looking at me with a puzzled expression when I talked about "intelligibility" and "gargling" and "frying low end." He was very indulgent of me and gave me a tee shirt. :-)
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
I guess in a general way they do, but not always. I've made up iso boxes with balanced output trimmers using maybe 8 or 9 different kinds of transformers ranging from very vintage to very modern, and they've all done something different. Especially when pushed hard.

I'd love to know in a more technical way what's going on, but I don't feel like I need to know.

The one person I've talked to who really seems to have a grip on the science of it is Avedis of Avedis Audio -- I had a great conversation with him about it a couple of NAMMs ago. I say "great conversation," but most of what he said sailed straight over my head, while he kept looking at me with a puzzled expression when I talked about "intelligibility" and "gargling" and "frying low end." He was very indulgent of me and gave me a tee shirt. :-)
Thanks!

Yeah, probably a lot of science going on, but could you try and explain it the way you see it?
Old 5 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by erike123 View Post
Thanks!

Yeah, probably a lot of science going on, but could you try and explain it the way you see it?
The more I learn about it, the more I realize how little I know. So... no.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search