The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Upgrading from Soundcraft Digital 328s...
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Upgrading from Soundcraft Digital 328s...

Hey everyone, I am toying with the idea of changing to a different console. I have two Digital 328s, one has a dead channel. They are still very usable mixers, and currently I keep one in a road case with an M-Audio Profire Lightbridge for when I want to use it for a remote session.

I found a 24-channel Trident 65 for a pretty affordable price locally ($1300) that I am going to pick up and clean up as a fun project console. Realistically, are the preamps in the 65 roughly the same quality of preamps as what I'd find out of the Digital 328? I believe they use the same pre's as the Ghost mixers. I've clicked through pretty much every thread on the 65 on here and I'm well aware they are nothing like an 80 series (or even 70 series) console, and are probably closer in sound to a Soundcraft than their big brothers.. but the price is fair and I'm thinking, with some upgrades and TLC, maybe it'll help?

I guess my biggest takeaway question is: For those that have used either (or both, preferably), are there any noticeable differences in the quality of sound (for tracking and summing purposes) that come from the 65 that the Digital 328s can't do? I'm not expecting a night-and-day difference, I know they are in a fairly similar category/price range of consoles, but there are no 70 series consoles in the area, and I'm not quite at the price point where I can justify that big of a switch yet. The studio is still under construction and I'm looking to have a project to keep my hands from being idle while I'm waiting to get it done. I figured a console rebuild is a fun project.

A few channels are out of commission, and so I'm looking at those as projects to learn, rather than issues. Worst case, I continue to use my Digital 328s to track.

This would be used for tracking and summing, as most of my work is ITB. Not completely sure how I am going to reconfigure my workflow around this mixer just yet. I have a fairly decent collection of pre's (Daking, Sytek, API, Avalon, Sebatron, and a few odds and ends like the Jensen-equipped Presonus M80 and Aphex 1788). I'm fairly confident in my signal path going into the computer, but I'd like to start expanding my outboard compression/eq/effects options, and in the process I'd like to find the one mixer I can use as a central hub for everything.

Also, last question - does anyone have any recommendations for a good tech for these kinds of consoles in the NJ/PA area? I'm going to take a stab at some of the work myself, since I think I'm fairly handy with soldering and would love to use this as an opportunity to learn how to diagnose and fix problems. But just in case I want to have it gone through more thoroughly.

Thanks in advance! I record mostly loud and noisy rock, but I'd like to be pretty flexible, as I had a lot of work with hip hop artists and I'd like to get into some country.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search