The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Coles phantom power
Old 5 days ago
Coles phantom power

Hey,

Im gonna do a session on a trident 80b this weekend. The board has +48v on all channels. No way of switching it off atm.

Just to make sure, is it ok to plug my coles into it?

The studio has a pair of royers, and i have used my pair of beyer ribbons on it before without any problems. One should think that it would be ok with coles as well. But i love them so much. And they seem alot more fragile than royer and beyers. Those seem to take a beating.
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear
you can turn the phantom off on an 80B you just have to pull the channel and the switch is on there
Old 5 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelkerchner View Post
you can turn the phantom off on an 80B you just have to pull the channel and the switch is on there
Ok! Thanks! didnt know that.
Im not really comfortable pulling two strips on a console thats not mine. I'd have to ask the owner of course. Im a shy guy, and not very comfortable with asking that. Hehe. I can see if i can grow some balls and ask..

I was thinking i wanted to clear up some myths about ribbons and phantom power at the same time in this thread.

Of course phantom power CAN blow a ribbon, but that it doesnt have to blow when the cabling is all right.

Console has a bantam patch. Im basically wondering if my coles will blow? while the other ribbons didnt get damaged in any way.

Just need a supporting second opinion of my own bias here.. hehe. And maybe a "as long as you dont do this" you'll be fine.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

I would make sure everything is patched in correctly before plugging in the mic. Pulling patch cables in/out with phantom engaged could potentially cause some damage. If you want to really cover your butt, get something like a cloudlifter or fethead active box. They need phantom anyway and will stop it from ever reaching the mic. If these are your mic's that you're bringing to the studio, I would have my cloudlifter just to give myself some peace of mind and not worry. If it's the studio's microphones, then I'm going to assume that they have everything wired correctly and just go for it.
Old 4 days ago
Yeah, i was thinking of buying cloudlifters or similar just to be safe. I ended up just pulling the strips and found the phantom switch. The strips came out smooth so it was a quick fix.

Thanx for helping out! Love having the support of fellow slutz!

Attached a picture with what i came up with for the drum micing.
Attached Thumbnails
Coles phantom power-20200215_022848.jpg  
Old 4 days ago
Do all your patching first, and plug the xlr cables in last, and all will be fine. This workflow is pretty standard on a bunch of old desks (an 8068 I routinely work on is my personal regular example).

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search