The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Which of these two monitors to choose? Dynaudio or high end 40yo German speaker?
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Which of these two monitors to choose? Dynaudio or high end 40yo German speaker?

So to keep this short. I am looking to buy a monitor speaker, I am planning to use it for making music, this would include mixing, mastering or anything else which I'd need to do with my music. I am not engineer so it will be exclusively for personal use, I will not be working mixing/mastering/recording for other people, those are for engineers and they have their place. I don want to go on a professional level in the future, so I am not just getting some monitors to have fun with them, although these are far from the top/high end of monitors, and I am aware of this. I am just trying to get the most out of my money since both of these seem like an amazing deal and above the average budget set of monitors.

I have an opportunity to get the Dynadudio DBM50 for 300 euros. There is also Focal CMS 50, however a pair costs 500 euros, and I would much rather get the Dynaudios and save 200 euros.

And then I came across a rather rare offer: A pair of Backes&Muller Delta, active speakers with tri-amp+active crossover. It also has a small microphone on the bass driver to bring it "as close to perfection", this is something B&M did with this series apparently.
For those who don't know this company, it's a German company which makes really high end speakers. The Delta model specifically is from 1984, which is pretty old. I can get a pair of these for 480, but I will of course try to negotiate the price. I think that it's very important to mention that these cost 3600DM (Deutsche Mark) at their time, I also think that they cost 1400 euros in 2016, or maybe this was their price in 1984 (I'm not sure) but overall their price/value isn't that clear because of the inflation etc.
The same model, but 100 euros cheaper "Beta" is being sold for 800 euros... however I don't think they will sell.. It's a big speaker and I heard that it reaches to about 30Hz which is pretty nice to hear. However I'm worried about the "health" and functionality of the components inside.

I included all the pics of the B&M Delta below, in the last one you can actually see what is inside of it. I also included the PDF booklet which is in German, so in case anyone is speaking German to better understand these, I hope that the file is accepted and is functional.

This being said I will appreciate anybodies contribution to help me make the right choioce, and I hope you can support your recommendation with an explanation.

Thanks to everyone in advance!

Edit: forgot to put these specifications about the B&M Delta-
Quote:
Manufacturer: Backes & Müller
Model: Delta
Made in Germany
Color: walnut, ash, black ash, mahogany, dark oak
Dimensions: 280 x 520 x 290 mm (W x H x D)
Weight: 15 kg
Original price approx .: 3,800 DM (1400-1900 euro-RRP pair)

connections
Number of inputs: 1 cinch, 1 DIN (5-pin)
list the inputs here (with sensitivity / impedance)
Number of exits:
list the outputs here (with level / impedance)

Technical specifications

Type: 3-way compact speaker, active
Chassis:
Low tone: 245 mm
Midtone: 120 mm
Tweeter: 25 mm metal dome
Power output stages: (continuous / dynamic):
enumerate power amplifiers with performance data here
Frequency response:
Transition ranges: 300/3000 Hz

Special equipment

Automatic switch on
AFB (Acoustical Feedback) microphone on bass cone
Attached Thumbnails
Which of these two monitors to choose? Dynaudio or high end 40yo German speaker?-90066686_5e31824b8c4339-6835652720200126_102252.jpg   Which of these two monitors to choose? Dynaudio or high end 40yo German speaker?-90066686_5e31824b8e4d27-1002607420200126_102323.jpg   Which of these two monitors to choose? Dynaudio or high end 40yo German speaker?-bmdelta.jpg   Which of these two monitors to choose? Dynaudio or high end 40yo German speaker?-bmdelta2.jpg   Which of these two monitors to choose? Dynaudio or high end 40yo German speaker?-bm-delta_1984_11_fono-forum_01.jpg  

Attached Files
Old 1 week ago
Ever heard of driver reconing and refoaming? It's a thing.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Of course I did. However the problems you could face in a 40 year old speaker are far from just refoaming and reconing... If those were the only concerns then itwouldn't be worried. However that's not the case. There are amplifier and crossovers inside, and many electronics in there could not be working like they were when they were new... and to get those fixed it's a much more complicated process than just refoaming and reconing. To get them "refreshed" officially by B&M it would cost 1300 euros, and that's not a very attractive price is it? For me it's not. That's why I'm concerned about the "internals" because drivers are a much smalelr problem to get fixed.

This still donsn't help with my question: How do the Dynaudio DBM50 compare to B&M Delta, is one majorly better than the other?
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by voja View Post
This still donsn't help with my question: How do the Dynaudio DBM50 compare to B&M Delta, is one majorly better than the other?
We could probably say better or worse in terms of measurements but I doubt you'll find much for B&M.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

What exactly do you mean with "I doubt you'll find much for B&M"?
I am not sure I understood what you wanted to say, much money? Information? Something much better than B&M?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Active electronics from that era will mean lots of components that are no longer within specified tolerances when they were new - capacitors come to mind, as well as resistors. Not to mention the distinct possibility that there may be components -like power transistors - that are no longer manufactured and/or near the end of their lifespan.
Then we get to the more abstract question of the "better" loudspeaker. The Dynaudios were designed to be reasonably accurate and to offer minimum colorization of the program material, which helps whatever you are recording to translate well to other systems. Were the B&M's designed with this in mind? Or were they designed to offer a "concert hall performance"? I'd bet on the latter and so my choice would be the Dynaudios.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

I haven't got much info on the B&M and these were the exact same concerns which I had about the speakers. Just like you said capacitors and resistors, they also came to my mind when I saw these.
I wanted to buy the Dynaudios however they got sold yesterday... I wasn't quick enough to pull the trigger, this being my first set of monitors I consider this a bad loss.. since speakers like these Dynaudios don't pop up very often. Usually some old crappy speakers pop up, now I ahve the JBL 305 available for 240 euros, but that's not a very impressive price.
And the Focal CMS 50 for 500 euros are jus tout of my budget. So I'll see what pops up.

I was told that teh Deltas were designed to be neutral and designed as a monitor, I don't know wheter they weer meant for studio use though
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by voja View Post
What exactly do you mean with "I doubt you'll find much for B&M"?
I am not sure I understood what you wanted to say, much money? Information? Something much better than B&M?
I'm not an expert on speakers but when looking at speakers I always try to find info on cabinet resonances and directivity.

If the cabinet resonates or the directivity graphs look horrible you know there isn't a lot of measuring going on in that company. On-axis amplitude is also a sign sometimes.

If you demand inert cabinets and good directivity, you'll exclude a lot of speaker manufacturers.

That's just my approach though.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search