The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Monitor speaker size according to room size?
Old 1 week ago
Monitor speaker size according to room size?

Hey everyone,

Been considering the option of upgrading my studio monitors and was wondering if the size of the room would limit what monitor speaker size it can handle. I've heard this mentioned sometimes and was wondering if it was a huge factor or not.

I currently use a pair of 5" KRK rokits.

My room is 12 x 9 feet (with 8 feet ceiling).

I have a modest amount of acoustic treatment in the room, but have plans to eventually put in some decent treatment.

According to my room dimensions, is there a maximum woofer size it can handle? Would 6" or 7" speakers be okay in this room?

Thanks
Old 6 days ago
Any suggestions or ideas?
Old 6 days ago
I had 5 inch speakers in a room around 3m x 4m or so and then switched to 8 inch speakers and instantly started making better mixes.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Please search the forum as this has been discussed before.

But, in my opinion, the answer is yes- large speakers may not work very well in small rooms. I would rather go for a higher quality rather than size. I actually went from KRK Rokit 5s (first gen) to Adam 5X and my mixes started sounding better because I coud hear into the low mids better. At the same time I added a good number of bass traps as well and this also made a huge difference.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Guru

Be aware of the recommended listening distance of the monitor.

Those designed for large rooms and a lomg listening distance can be over bright when listened to close up. ANd those designed for nearfield use can be treble-light when listened to at a distance.

Too much bass end can be bad in a small room - so be careful here.

I use monitors that have a cardioid bass end that still sound good in a small room as they do not through out bass to the rear like normal monitors.

As has been said earlier - go for quality over quantity. I would far rather use high quality monitors that can be trusted which may not have so much an extended bass end - over larger, but lower quality, monitors at the same price.

Also - listen carefully with recordings you really know to make sure you can really trust your choice.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search