The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Smallish Mixing Monitor (sound) For Traveling..one speaker
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Smallish Monitors (sound) For Traveling..

Hey....

Im looking for monitors that I can take with me while traveling to do some rough mixing...listening to takes etc.Im also carrying headphones.

Im not looking for a top shelf deal here..maybe in the 300 range for something that is accurate, decent detailed mids-highs- not fatiguing..I had been carrying Yamaha HS7's..but using that speaker for too long gets my head hurting

I was reading about some of the, comparable (to the Yamaha HS7), JBL's in the 5 inch-7 inch range...supposedly very well balanced and not fatiguing with good mid to high detail...Interested in what y'all might be experienced with and happy with.

Suggestions...thanks!

Last edited by Pchicago; 1 week ago at 01:02 AM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I found a pair of used JBL LSR305's locally for a great price..

I keep reading very good reviews for these speakers and generally positive reactions to them on a lot of the forums..these are 5 inch nearfields

Anyone have any experience with these? others?

thanks.-.-.-
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pchicago View Post
Hey....

Im looking for monitors that I can take with me while traveling to do some rough mixing...listening to takes etc.Im also carrying headphones.

Im not looking for a top shelf deal here..maybe in the 300 range for something that is accurate, decent detailed mids-highs- not fatiguing..I had been carrying Yamaha HS7's..but using that speaker for too long gets my head hurting

I was reading about some of the, comparable (to the Yamaha HS7), JBL's in the 5 inch-7 inch range...supposedly very well balanced and not fatiguing with good mid to high detail...Interested in what y'all might be experienced with and happy with.

Suggestions...thanks!
Since it's likely that 99% of the rooms you would be mixing in while traveling would not be treated for sound, there will be an uncontrollable variation in listening environments that will unevenly affect your mixes. A recipe for disaster and a waste of time in my opinion. I'd stick with headphones or IEMs to ensure a similar acoustic response. You can recover and tweak those rough mixes more quickly once you return home. Otherwise you'll never be sure that what you are hearing on the road is accurate. Hard to stand by your choices with variables like that!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukiah Bass View Post
Since it's likely that 99% of the rooms you would be mixing in while traveling would not be treated for sound, there will be an uncontrollable variation in listening environments that will unevenly affect your mixes. A recipe for disaster and a waste of time in my opinion. I'd stick with headphones or IEMs to ensure a similar acoustic response. You can recover and tweak those rough mixes more quickly once you return home. Otherwise you'll never be sure that what you are hearing on the road is accurate. Hard to stand by your choices with variables like that!
no real mixing happening here..mostly throwing up tracks together and listening to different takes etc..dropping in some reverb for ambience and sometimes a bit of eq'ing..nothing final, nothing in stone...listening to takes, re combining, arranging etc..I get very tired of having buds stuck in, or headphones on my ears..

would like to reference this stuff...this is all hotel room stuff..mono is fine..and then re-pair with the other monitor when im at home base..
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Genelec 8010 or the 4010 if you don’t mind a Phoenix connector. Great sound, super portable and almost bullet proof. I’ve got a pair I carry around with me and a spare single speaker that lives in my cars glovebox.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

it's like Beetlejuice sometimes when you're shopping..you say his name and up comes the dude..

I started to consider the Genelec thing for their sizing, thanks

..found a Craiglisted 8020 pair for a good price...but then found a pair of used Genelec M040's 40 minutes away..more to my liking for it's slightly larger driver..good price, auditioned them last night and bought the pair...could not be happier, great speaker that kept me up very late putting it through some motions. These M040's are extremely accurate, detailed and revealing in the mids though highs, very solid soundstage and center image..interesting porting system underneath the cabinet, plenty of bass frequency for me..sorta stunned by them. They don't really have the typical Genelec signature that im familiar with.

Just what i needed. thnx all.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search