The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Q: UA Console Session w/ Gain Boosting + AutoTune?
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
Q: UA Console Session w/ Gain Boosting + AutoTune?

Stumbled upon this little issue last night while recording an artist.

I'm using Ableton Live 10 and a UA Apollo Twin to record. Using a UA vocal preset to add some limiting and gain, I record the audio w/ chain into an Ableton track where I there have my Auto-Tune and other plugins for the chain.

At one point, the artist wanted to hear himself with the Autotune. What would be the best solution in this case? Basically I want a solution that will be able to let the artist hear the autotune and gain boosting, and then only record the gain boosting into Ableton (since I want to control AT later on). I've already thought about just putting the gain plugins into my chain on Ableton but am trying to use as little of UA plugins on my Ableton as possible due to RAM issues with that!

Thanks in advance! Also this is my first ever post here, woohoo! Been always coming to this site to find answers so glad to finally be a member
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Try this:

1. Copy your gain/limiting plugins to Aux 1 in Console.

2. Send whichever analog input you're using to Aux 1 (pre-fader), and send Aux 1 to the headphone mix.

3. Mute the output of Aux 1, control level to singer with the HP send knob.

4. Add Auto-Tune to Aux 1 so the singer can hear it.

5. In 'Cue Outputs,' set the headphone source to HP, not MIX.

This way, you can print the FX that are inserted on your analog input and have the singer monitor through the same FX + Auto-Tune.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search