The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Finally investing in my own drum recording equipment
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Finally investing in my own drum recording equipment

Looking at finally building out a recording setup for my drums at my house.

I've identified the Earthworks D7 package as my microphones but i'm stuck in regards to an interface.

I'm looking to initially have 8 inputs and expand up to 12-16.

I'm considering the Roland Studio-Capture as it looks to have all inputs in one unit but it seems like it came out quite a few years ago. So I'm skeptical about the amount of support it would have. Also with it being USB 2 the latency would be a concern.

I'm super in need of any suggestions or support for an interface or interface combinations.

My computer is a 2012 Mac Mini Quad I5 that runs like a champ. I also have a 2015 MBP i7 Quad for heavier session mixing. Mostly this will be just for drum recording though so not too many channels.

Thank you a ton for the help and support.

Last edited by drumzalicious; 1 week ago at 07:34 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumzalicious View Post
Looking at finally building out a recording setup for my drums at my house.

I've identified the Earthworks D7 package as my microphones but i'm stuck in regards to an interface.

I'm looking to initially have 8 inputs and expand up to 12-16.

I'm considering the Roland Studio-Capture as it looks to have all inputs in one unit but it seems like it came out quite a few years ago. So I'm skeptical about the amount of support it would have. Also with it being USB 2 the latency would be a concern.

I'm super in need of any suggestions or support for an interface or interface combinations.

My computer is a 2014 Mac Mini i7 Quad that runs like a champ. I also have a 2015 MBP i7 Quad for heavier session mixing. Mostly this will be just for drum recording though so not too many channels.

Thank you a ton for the help and support.
What budget are we talking about?

Anyway since you’ve chosen something that I would define as pretty good mics, I’d suggest to buy something that you can expand but that it sound very good out of the box.. also that it will last quite a few years. So I’d buy with same “principle” in mind.

I’d suggest to stretch it and get a Metric Halo ULN8.. (in the future you could always buy an 8 channel preamp with adat out and still use the same interface).

Another option might be the Apogee Symphony MK2 with their preamp/converters option, but it will probably be a little bit more expensive.

There might be the new UA apollo units that might give you decent results, but you’ll be tied to their carrot-donkey spiel and “upgrades”.

Other excellent unit is the DAD Ax32 (or Avid Matrix if you’re on PT)..
not the cheapest one but one of the best imho.

Merging Hapi might also be an alternative.

I hope this helps,

Cheu
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheu78 View Post
What budget are we talking about?

Anyway since you’ve chosen something that I would define as pretty good mics, I’d suggest to buy something that you can expand but that it sound very good out of the box.. also that it will last quite a few years. So I’d buy with same “principle” in mind.

I’d suggest to stretch it and get a Metric Halo ULN8.. (in the future you could always buy an 8 channel preamp with adat out and still use the same interface).

Another option might be the Apogee Symphony MK2 with their preamp/converters option, but it will probably be a little bit more expensive.

There might be the new UA apollo units that might give you decent results, but you’ll be tied to their carrot-donkey spiel and “upgrades”.

Other excellent unit is the DAD Ax32 (or Avid Matrix if you’re on PT)..
not the cheapest one but one of the best imho.

Merging Hapi might also be an alternative.

I hope this helps,

Cheu
Between the Mics and the Interface/expanded pre-amps im looking to stay between $4,000 and $5,000
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut
Maybe a MOTU 8A plus a multi-channel preamp of your choice? I/O may be easily expanded using AVB or optical.

The DK7 is a nice system. Very dynamic and accurate.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumzalicious View Post
Between the Mics and the Interface/expanded pre-amps im looking to stay between $4,000 and $5,000
Do the mics some justice and pair them with some good decent sounding preamps..

Eventually get a smaller Earthworks package and buy a couple of good used dynamics and get better preamps?

The MH ULN8 3D is pretty good.. and offers a lot imho. It would probably be my first choice in your situation. A little bit more than your intended budget, but a nice product that will keep going for years and with great results.

Maybe you are lucky and can find a nice DAD ax (24 or 32).. with 8 or 16 preamps used, but they might go for more than your budget.. stellar stuff though.

Another option is going the other way around, but I’m not sure it’s worthed in the long run...
i’d buy once BUT good.

maybe a DAV BG8 and an interface with 8 line inputs and the adat I/O as well for future integration of an additional 8 channels preamps through adat?

Like a DAV BG8 and a Metric Halo 2882 3D (and the expand in the future with an 8channel preamp with adat out)..
This is probably the best sounding setup for your situation for your remaining budget.
There are cheaper situation of course, but I’m not sure I’d put 2k in those other situations.. imho and ime they’re not worthed.

What kind of style/genre are you playing/recording?

I hope this helps,

Cheu
Old 1 week ago
I personally like the Apollo system. No need to buy too many plugins or do any upgrades. The X8 would give you four decent pre's that you could experiment with different plugins for color. Add a Daking 4 to that for close mics and your in business. Or a Daking 4 and Sebatron VMP4000 and a motu 8a or 828ES? And if your going for super transparent, the Grace M108 could be cool with those mics.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search