The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Steinberg UR22 mk2 or Audient iD14?
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Steinberg UR22 mk2 or Audient iD14?

Hello guys, I need a little help and I hope someone can help me a little to make a right decision. I am experienced musician, arranger and also mixing engineer on semi pro level. My current home studio setup is: Windows PC with intel i7 cpu and 32GB RAM for Presonus Studio One DAW, RME fireface UC audio interface, Genelec 8040 monitors, AKG K712 headphones, Brauner Phantom C, AKG C414 xls, Neumann KM184 microphones and usb midi keyboard. Type of music that I produce is Balkan pop/folk, I can say that is something like late 80's pop. Ok, now what is the problem? Problem is that my RME fireface died. Fireface did a good job but from the beginning I think it was an overkill for my needs. Usually I am using 1 or 2 xlr inputs for acoustic instruments/voice recording and rest is studio one mixing with VST instruments and plugins, in general 60% VST, 40% mic recording. So, after some research I choose 2 audio interfaces that potentially can meet my needs, Steinberg UR22 mk2 or Audient iD14. I saw everything else but I am a little sceptical because other 2 channel audio interfaces use only usb bus power and I think it can not work properly with only 500mAh or even on usb3 with 900mAh especially with phantom power on 2 inputs. Steinberg and Audient interfaces use bus power but there is also powerline PSU. I found ur22 mk2 for 140$ and iD14 for 220$. The main question is how much difference is between these products except 80$? I really don't want to pay 1000$ for another RME fireface because I used maybe 30% of its capability but ofc I need 2 channel interface with clear preamps for my microphones, good converters and solid asio drivers for windows. I do not know is it possible to achieve with 2 channel interface so I need a little help from gearslutz experienced members.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
Of the 2 options you mentioned, if your priority is preamps and converters, then it’s Audient hands down. You’ll soon forget about those $80.

If drivers are your priority, then it’s a little less clear...but when recording alone at home, you get many chances, so I’d still stick with the preamps and converters.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Thx. Yes, priority is quality preamp and converters but it is worthless if it gives me a headache because of unstable drivers. I did some research and audient latency issues are only present on windows 10. So if that's the only problem, it is completely acceptable for me, I will use it on windows 7.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I use a Steinberg UR44 and feel the pres are actually very good. I've directly compared them against a Vintech 573 and, although the Vintech was better, it was marginal. On the mics that aren't so power hungry, the differences between the sound of the pres had nothing to do with fidelity. I've never heard the Audient unit, but I can't imagine their pres are better than a $700 stand alone unit.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsun24 View Post
Thx. Yes, priority is quality preamp and converters but it is worthless if it gives me a headache because of unstable drivers. I did some research and audient latency issues are only present on windows 10. So if that's the only problem, it is completely acceptable for me, I will use it on windows 7.
Audient driver is good also with Windows 10 once you set your OS for audio use.
Even at 16 samples buffer

Matti
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon Adkins View Post
I use a Steinberg UR44 and feel the pres are actually very good. I've directly compared them against a Vintech 573 and, although the Vintech was better, it was marginal. On the mics that aren't so power hungry, the differences between the sound of the pres had nothing to do with fidelity. I've never heard the Audient unit, but I can't imagine their pres are better than a $700 stand alone unit.
I agree, back in 2014 I used steinberg UR 1st generation interface and their yamaha preamps sounded decent but that was a long time ago. Probably after RME I will notice some difference in quality, in asio drivers stablity for sure but for preamp quality I do not know how much. Yamaha is a big company and they can afford to sell products at a lower price which does not mean that products are less quality. It just matters that iD14 is not hyped because of brand name, everything else looks just fine from reviews I watched. I have to say again, different impressions are important to me and I am very grateful for that.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I agree, back in 2014 I used steinberg UR 1st generation interface and their yamaha preamps sounded decent but that was a long time ago. Probably after RME I will notice some difference in quality, in asio drivers stablity for sure but for preamp quality I do not know how much. Yamaha is a big company and they can afford to sell products at a lower price which does not mean that products are less quality. It just matters that iD14 is not hyped because of brand name, everything else looks just fine from reviews I watched. I have to say again, different impressions are important to me and I am very grateful for that.
I just went through a period where I had to sell lots of gear. My Vintech 573 being one of the pieces. I also had to sell me beloved R84 and RPQ 500 pre. Anyway, the point is that even through I loved the Vintech, I really don't miss it all that much. I honestly don't believe you'll notice a difference in sound quality between any of the interfaces. RME is known for amazing drivers, so you might notice something there. I will say that Yamaha drivers have been extremely reliable for me, and are the reason that I went back to a Yamaha interface after trying out Focusrite and Motu. I never really noticed a difference in sound quality with any of the interfaces. I think conversion has reached the point where even the budget interfaces compete. I have a friend who uses one of the Behringer units, and it works great for him. I wouldn't fret too much between the two units you're looking at. Just pic the one that has better features for what you're doing.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon Adkins View Post
I think conversion has reached the point where even the budget interfaces compete. I have a friend who uses one of the Behringer units, and it works great for him.
True but I know for sure that Behringer or Akai interfaces will never ever be a part of my studio, even like decoration. I had a nightmare with akai mpc renaissance interface. From the device like that is expected to have a decent interface but it was a crap with very noisy preamp. The device was useless with noise at ~ -65db. Although they were able to recreate the problem, Akai service claimed it was normal. Behringer uphoria interfaces are a little better but still useless. I couldn't wait to get rid of them.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
True but I know for sure that Behringer or Akai interfaces will never ever be a part of my studio, even like decoration. I had a nightmare with akai mpc renaissance interface. From the device like that is expected to have a decent interface but it was a crap with very noisy preamp. The device was useless with noise at ~ -65db. Although they were able to recreate the problem, Akai service claimed it was normal. Behringer uphoria interfaces are a little better but still useless. I couldn't wait to get rid of them.
I've personally not used the Behringer stuff, and to be honest, I feel the same as you about not wanting that particular name brand on my desk. But my friend is making some really great recordings with his. It's definitely not holding him back at all.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

I have the UR44 which I replaced Uphoria 204HD with which I deeply regret, will get the B back soon.

Can't tell the difference in preamp quality (doubt there's any), but I absolutely hate Steinberg deranged direct monitoring management, you have to create additional tracks, activate something within DAW, adjust routing schematics on tracks etc. With Behringer things just worked automatically, no need to route anything, it just worked 100% of the time. With Steinberg you forget to push something somewhere you get a dead channel, and then you have to dig in look for what the heck you missed. Extremely frustrating. I don't even know how well Steinberg's is integrated with Studio1 make sure you check on that before you get one.

It's such a dumb f. interface. This is the only piece of gear I ever had that I actually hate.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

I used to try to work on UR22 mk2 on Win7 but had nothing but issues - audio was dropping, during the recording and playback, extremly frustrating. Aparently there is a workaround, but never managed to get it work properly. At taht time my mate bought Uphoria 204 HD and honestly- half the price and no issues whatsoever. I have Audient ASP 880 and love this pre, if this is what they use for their interface you should definitely go for Audient.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart Kowalski View Post
I used to try to work on UR22 mk2 on Win7 but had nothing but issues - audio was dropping, during the recording and playback, extremly frustrating. Aparently there is a workaround, but never managed to get it work properly. At taht time my mate bought Uphoria 204 HD and honestly- half the price and no issues whatsoever. I have Audient ASP 880 and love this pre, if this is what they use for their interface you should definitely go for Audient.
Sold my 204HD for $50 locally a few months ago (so dumb, why did I even bother at that price, should've kept it as a backup).

This thread reminded me that I need to re-buy the 204HD so I just did, placed an order a second ago on ebay (refurb from musictribe) for $80+tax.

$37 seller regret.

I never boarded the Behringer Derangement Train, so for me it's just a perfect interface, has everything I need, works flawlessly 100% of the time, never a single issue, and sounds good. But I understand that B-word may be like a fluttering red cloth for some.

Can't wait to toss the Steinberg on ebay.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

This track is recorded a few years ago on umc 204 hd just for fun. I saved the recording as a reminder just in case if I ever think to buy something from Behringer.

https://soundcloud.com/user-565294897/umc204hd/s-IzXuW
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
The main question is how much difference is between these products except 80$?
Quality wise? Pretty much zero. Save your money; IMO you'd be fine with either one.

Quote:
Behringer uphoria interfaces are a little better but still useless.
I can't say how true this was years ago, but it's not true today. They make very good stuff. I understand not wanting one if you had a bad experience though.

Quote:
sell products at a lower price which does not mean that products are less quality.
Always good to hear someone else getting it
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

I'm not a fan of either Behringer or Steinberg or Audient just to be clear but I stand behind my claims about Behringer. If anyone else has experience with ur22 mk2 and iD14 I would be very grateful. Please, just do not hype Behringer, I appreciate that their products are affordable but currently I'm not interested about their products.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Wow, I can honestly say that with the 3 Steinberg interfaces I've had (1 firewire, 2 USB) I've never had a single driver issue... Ever. I think in the last 6 to 7 years, I can count the crashes I've had on 1 hand. Always used with Windows 7 and XP before that. So I can't say anything regarding W10.
Edit - Forgot that I had a MacBook Pro for about a year... Not a problem there either.
Old 1 week ago
Opinions will vary but I've used the Steinberg UR44 and the upgraded Neve version for 5 years and 100 songs without a problem, zero. I use Cubase and Win7/64 and the drivers are rock solid. Never had an issue with the routing but maybe with Cubase it's easier. The manual is overly complicated for sure and I rarely record more than one track at a time. Still use the onboard Yamaha REVX reverb on input all the time. Also, the Steinberg has built-in MIDI which is handy.

We've also used the Audient which has great preamps but no MIDI or RAM reverb. For me it's a toss up and depends more on $ and features such as reverb or midi. If the features of the Steinberg don't matter then the Audient probably has a slight edge with the preamps.
Old 1 week ago
I use an Audient id44 with Studio One 4 and Windows 10. No issues. I used to have the id22, I did have a few driver issues with that unit.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
I'm not a fan of either Behringer or Steinberg or Audient just to be clear but I stand behind my claims about Behringer. If anyone else has experience with ur22 mk2 and iD14 I would be very grateful. Please, just do not hype Behringer, I appreciate that their products are affordable but currently I'm not interested about their products.
They are about as affordable as Steinberg and many others and also about as good, but to each their own, I'm not trying to hype them.

If you listen to the Steinberg and Audient units side by side, you will not hear a difference. FWIW

PS if you have a keyboard with the 5-pin MIDI make sure you buy converters for the Audient as those units don't have them
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

No, my keyboard is usb powered, Roland A800-pro. I do not need 5 pin MIDI so I decided to try audient id14. I will order it now and I'll write my first impressions probably next week. Thanks everyone, if anyone has more impressions about iD14 to add, I'd be very grateful.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search