The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What should I buy next?
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
What should I buy next?

So, as luck would have it, I've got a little room in my budget for a Next Serious Toy. My rig is currently an odd-lot amalgam of cheap stuff I cobbled in my early days, some reasonable mid range stuff and a couple of 'prize possession' pieces. I'm looking to build out a minimalist core rig around the good bits and am trying to decide what to add next. Since I've been out of the game for a while, I thought I'd throw this out to the group to give me some ideas on what to start looking at.

I'm looking for rack bits only.

My current keeper interface is a classic Metric Halo Mobile I/O 2882
My current keeper mic pre is a John Hardy Twin Servo 990 4ch that he generously recapped for me a while back.

Odd bits I sometimes use when I'm looking to alter the sound rather than capture accurately:
Drawmer MX60 channel strip(2)
Aphex Compellor 302 and Dominator II 720 (from my broadcast post days).
Dolby Spectral Processor 740 (that I dabbled in forensics with)
A pair of ancient dbx 902 de-essers - (used more on old piezo pickups than vocals)

The use case is performing songwriter, small acoustic ensembles (any genre), some remote small club recording.

Let the games begin!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

What kind of recording room(s)?
Chris
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
Rooms are as-built domestic construction with treatment as opposed to purpose built studios. Solo work is recorded in the "control room" which is relatively dead, multi piece in relatively live larger room. Seems to work well enough for what I'm doing.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Cool!
Chris

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search