The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Bad Experience With My First Cheap Midi Keyboard? Anyone else? Cable or Controller?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Bad Experience With My First Cheap Midi Keyboard? Anyone else? Cable or Controller?

Got myself an iRig37 Pro KB Controller.

I did get it from amazon, so far, the controller loses touch with the Laptop , windows 10 acer, quite often. Especially when I play chords (maybe the extra weight). Looking at the cable it doesn't seem to sit that well in the connector on the KB .. seems fragile, awkward.

It seems just a bad product.. but wanted to ask people.. can it be the cable itself?

or the windows driver.?

Again, I don't think so, cause when it does lose touch, when I jiggle the cable everything resolves..

Also important question - does this happen with 100 dollar KBs as well?
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyFan View Post
Got myself an iRig37 Pro KB Controller.

I did get it from amazon, so far, the controller loses touch with the Laptop , windows 10 acer, quite often. Especially when I play chords (maybe the extra weight). Looking at the cable it doesn't seem to sit that well in the connector on the KB .. seems fragile, awkward.

It seems just a bad product.. but wanted to ask people.. can it be the cable itself?

or the windows driver.?

Again, I don't think so, cause when it does lose touch, when I jiggle the cable everything resolves..

Also important question - does this happen with 100 dollar KBs as well?
It could absolutely be a damaged cable or jack/plug connector!

FWIW, I bought a cheap Nektar 61 key through an Amazon sub-vendor, the first time I've used a USB controller; it all seems to work fine. (That said, I'm coming from a piano-weighted, hammer action keyboard and the super-light 'plastic' feel is taking some getting used to. But it's just nice having a working 'board again and one doesn't expect miracles from something that cost under a hundred dollars.)

Swap out your cable for a known good one!

I used to have a complex performance rig with a bunch of MIDI cables. Stuff happens to them, people walk on them, connector pins get bent/broken, wires become intermittent. I ALWAYS took spares. (After having to race home one night to get a replacement!)
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
It could absolutely be a damaged cable or jack/plug connector!

FWIW, I bought a cheap Nektar 61 key through an Amazon sub-vendor, the first time I've used a USB controller; it all seems to work fine. (That said, I'm coming from a piano-weighted, hammer action keyboard and the super-light 'plastic' feel is taking some getting used to. But it's just nice having a working 'board again and one doesn't expect miracles from something that cost under a hundred dollars.)

Swap out your cable for a known good one!

I used to have a complex performance rig with a bunch of MIDI cables. Stuff happens to them, people walk on them, connector pins get bent/broken, wires become intermittent. I ALWAYS took spares. (After having to race home one night to get a replacement!)
thanks so much Blue1 !!

i thought by now, with tech improvements that they could make a good connector and cable for cheap... mine is usb btw.. not actual midi.

i'll return it and order a new one.. other wise.. i'm afraid (from expereience)
if I get a new cable it might kick the can down the road, and inevitably the bad connector will start making problems..

btw, it's also a kind of short cable, so i don't have much room to stretch it..so maybe that's contributing.

In any case your info was very heplful thanks
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyFan View Post
thanks so much Blue1 !!

i thought by now, with tech improvements that they could make a good connector and cable for cheap... mine is usb btw.. not actual midi.

i'll return it and order a new one.. other wise.. i'm afraid (from expereience)
if I get a new cable it might kick the can down the road, and inevitably the bad connector will start making problems..

btw, it's also a kind of short cable, so i don't have much room to stretch it..so maybe that's contributing.

In any case your info was very heplful thanks
Doh! I'd actually assumed it was USB -- I just slipped a gear there for a sec. Same difference, though.

If a new cable doesn't fix you up, check to make sure that the USB plug that goes into the keyboard -- and the one that goes into the host computer -- feel secure and solid. I'm assuming the keyboard was bought new, so it's unlikely to be a problem on that end (check anyway) but the USB jack on keyboards and computers (especially laptops and tablets) can take some serious torque/stress, sometimes cracking the circuit/mother board that the jack is likely mounted to but leaving the printed circuit material partially intact or intermittent in some fashion. (I hate to even suggest it.) Hopefully it's just a bad USB cable. You could also try different USB ports on your host computer. Another thing is to try checking the keyboard hooked to a different computer/device (if that's an option).

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search