The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
M88 vs ATM25
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

M88 vs ATM25

I'm considering buying one of these for kick drum and also electric guitar when I need more bass. May also use it on my voice when I stream.

Is the ATM25 still worth going after in 2020 on the used market, given that I've heard so many great things about the M88 and can get a new one for only slightly more money? Anyone want to share their thoughts? I currently have a D112 that I feel is too scooped sometimes.

Thanks
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Don't know the others, but the M88 works great ticks off all the boxes you want - bass, electric guitar, vocals. Great mic.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I blew a couple of 88's on kick, one of them a brand new replacement for the dead one from a previous session... ATM25 till going strong since I got it in... 98 I think? I like the 25 because I can EQ it to work pretty much every time.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

I like the ATM25 as a great, perceived-neutral, all-around dynamic for low to mid frequency sources. The M88 TG will be high-frequency-extended/more-open in comparison.

On kick, it’d depend on if you want the attack more natural or enhanced. On electric guitar when needing more bass, I suppose it’d depend on how close you need/like to mic-up. On voice, I think the clear choice would be the M88 TG.

Personally though, if I choose an M88 on kick, it’s an M88 n(c), for a punchy 70’s sound.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

The ATM25 is my favourite kick mic ever. The M88 is (one of) my favourite everything mic ever. You can't really go wrong either way but the M88 excels at way more than kick drum.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgerard View Post
I blew a couple of 88's on kick, one of them a brand new replacement for the dead one from a previous session...
yep

if you do a search, you will find a surprisingly large number of people "blowing up" their M88s in the kick drum. From what I have read, it has something to do not with the 'blast' from the transient, which the mic should certainly be able to handle, but from a weird specific vulnerability to the backrush of air returning into the hole after the initial attack.

Depending on one's positioning habits, I would imagine this would cause some people to be constantly blowing up their M88s, and other people never blowing them up. Because you will see people saying they never have a problem. But IMO, there are too many reports of destruction to disregard. I certainly doubt if the manufacturing quality varies that widely from mic to mic, so it must be differences in how people use it or don't use it.

At any rate, I would say forewarned is forearmed.

Quote:
ATM25 till going strong since I got it in... 98 I think? I like the 25 because I can EQ it to work pretty much every time.

I have the ATM25 and I usually prefer it to several other more expensive kick mics at my disposal. IMO, it's a great mic. It is discontinued and they now make the ATM 250, which I have never tried. Of course as soon as any mic is discontinued and replaced by a new model or version, the odds of the new one being "better" are vanishingly small.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

I have both mics. The ATM25 is always workable. The M88 is special, euphoric. I've always wanted to make a record with just M88s.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Also all my brand new 88's sounded a bit different, one quite dull, one quite pokey in the mids. They all had different sensitivities.

Back to the SPL damage... I'm now thinking I might have been OK using the little foam windshield... dang...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
yep

if you do a search, you will find a surprisingly large number of people "blowing up" their M88s in the kick drum. From what I have read, it has something to do not with the 'blast' from the transient, which the mic should certainly be able to handle, but from a weird specific vulnerability to the backrush of air returning into the hole after the initial attack.

Depending on one's positioning habits, I would imagine this would cause some people to be constantly blowing up their M88s, and other people never blowing them up. Because you will see people saying they never have a problem. But IMO, there are too many reports of destruction to disregard. I certainly doubt if the manufacturing quality varies that widely from mic to mic, so it must be differences in how people use it or don't use it.

At any rate, I would say forewarned is forearmed.

I have the ATM25 and I usually prefer it to several other more expensive kick mics at my disposal. IMO, it's a great mic. It is discontinued and they now make the ATM 250, which I have never tried. Of course as soon as any mic is discontinued and replaced by a new model or version, the odds of the new one being "better" are vanishingly small.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgerard View Post
Also all my brand new 88's sounded a bit different, one quite dull, one quite pokey in the mids. They all had different sensitivities.

Back to the SPL damage... I'm now thinking I might have been OK using the little foam windshield... dang...
Funny thing - that windshield seems to "wrap around" the head of the mic, whereas most windshields just sit like a cap on the front of the mic. Maybe it is designed to address a sensitivity to "backwash" or whatever.

I must stress that I don't own an 88 and never experienced a problem personally. But I was considering buying one, and in my research, the numbers of reports of people blowing them up was enough to make me re-think it.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

It's quite possible. But then whoever writes Beyer user guides should have mentioned it... repair cost is quite high for most Beyers, too. They tend to swap the guts rather then repairing the tranducers, or at least that' was the case a decade ago or so. I haven't followed up.
Old 1 week ago
While excellent on kick, toms, and bass, the 25 isn’t great on guitars or voice. For an all-arounder I’d definitely go with the 88.
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

If I could only own one mic it would be an M88. It works on absolutely everything, and if you are in a relatively noisy environment it can capture almost condenser-like range without the sensitivity to noise and rumbles, great for vocal tracks in less than ideal environments.

A friend of mine recommended trying it on snare, and it was a huge eye opener, I would never go back to a 57 there. Fat low mids with a crispy top end, I barely even need to EQ the snare anymore with the right placement, and the high hat bleed is very pleasant.

I prefer my kicks a little more hyped, so I dont use it on kick alot but it does sound great for a neutral, natural kick sound.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyingpines View Post
If I could only own one mic it would be an M88. It works on absolutely everything, and if you are in a relatively noisy environment it can capture almost condenser-like range without the sensitivity to noise and rumbles, great for vocal tracks in less than ideal environments.

A friend of mine recommended trying it on snare, and it was a huge eye opener, I would never go back to a 57 there. Fat low mids with a crispy top end, I barely even need to EQ the snare anymore with the right placement, and the high hat bleed is very pleasant.

I prefer my kicks a little more hyped, so I dont use it on kick alot but it does sound great for a neutral, natural kick sound.
My Brother!
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

I cannot believe I still haven’t tried it... I’ve been wanting to try the MBHO MBD 219 for so long now! I bet it’s a fabulous all-around workhorse dynamic! Plus you can choose cardioid, hypercardioid, and omni models.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Both of them can do the job, so ... get both. There is a windshield that looks like a little plastic cage-half-sphere for the M88 and it's kind of not so cheap, but Beyer says that it keeps your M88 from dying on a kickdrum as they are well aware of that situation.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

I've got 3 of the ATM230, which is pretty close to the ATM25, I believe.
Rack tom, floor tom, kick.
Daking preamps.
Very easy to use and sounds great.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search