The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Tchad Blake - Printing the 2bus within the Session
Old 16 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
For me I’m not using stems as recall - it doesn’t really matter if the sum is the same as the mix or not.
Same.
Old 16 hours ago
Gear Nut

Once the mix is approved I give them basic stems such as for example: drums, bass, synth bass, rhythm guitars, lead guitars, bvs with vocals, bvs ooos and aaaas, lead vocal etc.

In addition to the stems I give them a pro tools multitrack session with all plug-ins and automation committed. The only channels with plug-ins active will be my group tracks and master fader. That way they can load my session or wavs and grab whatever they want for live performances or remix use. I consolidate all my files so they start at the same bar in case they want to load the wavs into a different daw.

I've made myself a template that so that I can do stems and multitrack at the same time. The only thing I have to do manually is clean up the session. For example I might have multiple mics on guitar cabs, but I sum those to one channel during mix.
Old 15 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
The de-activating/freezing thing - that’s a good idea. I just stemmed a big session, it took me about an hour and a half.

Gonna try the deactivate thing and see if that speeds up the next track in the album!
It always helps here. I personally don't use UAD plugs on the mix buss, which also helps. But, if you freeze any tracks/busses with UAD plugins, before bouncing it really helps with the speed.
Old 12 hours ago
Thank you very much for your replies mike , I get you 100%

Your post on how to find comb filtering is priceless and v timely

I’m Just going over comb filtering In bob Katz book at the moment and the use of Early reflection delays to focus Your sounds in the stereo image, I’m definitely going to follow the experiment you suggest word for word

I hear your points regarding analog vs digital and rest assured I wouldn’t do anything blindly because of a myth or a legend

It was just a thought I had about whether it might have any advantages sonically and if anyone else was doing it (like the idea that gave birth to this thread )

Sometimes the odd stupid question comes out of even the brightest mind ! Lol

Many thanks mike for taking the time
Much appreciated
Old 12 hours ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by dankin View Post
It always helps here. I personally don't use UAD plugs on the mix buss, which also helps. But, if you freeze any tracks/busses with UAD plugins, before bouncing it really helps with the speed.
sadly I usually use UAD stuff as send FX, but even so deactivating eg drum buss once printed should help!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search