The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Anyone make an under-shelf rack mount?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
Anyone make an under-shelf rack mount?

Hi-

Quite simply, trying find a simple way to mount a 1u piece of gear under
a simple wood shelf. I've attached a rough idea of what I have in mind but I doubt anyone makes such a thing.

Basically, 2 metal strips with a top flange for screwing into the bottom of a shelf and rack mount ears with holes on the front of each strip.

ROUGH GRAPHICAL IDEA...ATTACHED.

Haven't been able to find anything quite like this but maybe someone here
has tried to do same? I suppose I could always jury-rig some brackets etc. from
a box store which I suspect is my only option outside of mounting a stand-alone box which is overkill for my needs.

Any thoughts appreciated!

Thanks, Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone make an under-shelf rack mount?-rough-example.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Purchase an inexpensive 1 space wooden rack, and a pair of sliders used for an under desk keyboard shelf.
That gives you a mounting option and the ability to slide the rack out if needed.

Or just use 4 L brackets from a hardware store to hard mount the rack.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Don't know if this will work for you, I used it to mount a Furman under my desk:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by David W. Jones View Post
Purchase an inexpensive 1 space wooden rack, and a pair of sliders used for an under desk keyboard shelf.
That gives you a mounting option and the ability to slide the rack out if needed.

Or just use 4 L brackets from a hardware store to hard mount the rack.

Good idea!
I'll take a look see at options.
Thanks David
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Extron makes undershelf/table rackmounts in 1 and 2RU:

https://www.extron.com/Under-Table-R...rodsubtype-585
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by swafford View Post
Don't know if this will work for you, I used it to mount a Furman under my desk:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Swafford-

That may just work as well.
I see a lad on Amazon had posted some photos
and one was showing it mounted under a desktop.

It may need a back support bracket but probably not if
the piece I'm buying isn't too deep.

Another good idea and I thank you!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bstapper View Post
Extron makes undershelf/table rackmounts in 1 and 2RU:

https://www.extron.com/Under-Table-R...rodsubtype-585

Bstapper-

Will check it out. Sounds good. Thanks for taking the time. '-)
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

I have mounted 1u units under a shelf using four cup hooks bent into an 'L' shape and screwed to the underside of the shelf to act as brackets. It worked very well. I used masking tape to prevent the gear getting scratched.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevBKeys View Post
I have mounted 1u units under a shelf using four cup hooks bent into an 'L' shape and screwed to the underside of the shelf to act as brackets. It worked very well. I used masking tape to prevent the gear getting scratched.
Another possible. Will explore. Thanks!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp2000 View Post
Swafford-

That may just work as well.
I see a lad on Amazon had posted some photos
and one was showing it mounted under a desktop.

It may need a back support bracket but probably not if
the piece I'm buying isn't too deep.

Another good idea and I thank you!
Like I said, I mounted a Furman (19" W x 10.5" D x 1.75" H / 12 lbs) plus it has the added weight of 8 IEC cords on it (though they are supported also) mounted onto 1/2 plywood. I was skeptical when I bought it with just the two mount points, but it's holding solid.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by swafford View Post
like i said, i mounted a furman (19" w x 10.5" d x 1.75" h / 12 lbs) plus it has the added weight of 8 iec cords on it (though they are supported also) mounted onto 1/2 plywood. I was skeptical when i bought it with just the two mount points, but it's holding solid.
10-4 swaf- thanks!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I used these. Basically built a wood frame with Sheetrock course thread screws and mounted the rails to it. I built an entire desk from scratch to meet my needs.
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone make an under-shelf rack mount?-fa61522d-aa53-40ee-a6a3-4b264ba88810.jpg   Anyone make an under-shelf rack mount?-151244b1-6cd9-4fa2-8b14-ec85317b4a01.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian M. Boykin View Post
I used these. Basically built a wood frame with Sheetrock course thread screws and mounted the rails to it. I built an entire desk from scratch to meet my needs.
Nice job Brian. Looks great!
Thanks for taking the time to pass
along the 1u strips. I've used long
ones in the past but wasn't aware
of these shorties. If I go the route
of hand built, these will work. Thanks!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi-

Quite simply, trying find a simple way to mount a 1u piece of gear under
a simple wood shelf. I've attached a rough idea of what I have in mind but I doubt anyone makes such a thing.

Basically, 2 metal strips with a top flange for screwing into the bottom of a shelf and rack mount ears with holes on the front of each strip.

ROUGH GRAPHICAL IDEA...ATTACHED.

Haven't been able to find anything quite like this but maybe someone here
has tried to do same? I suppose I could always jury-rig some brackets etc. from
a box store which I suspect is my only option outside of mounting a stand-alone box which is overkill for my needs.

Any thoughts appreciated!

Thanks, Bob
I've mounted a ton of stuff under shelves and under desks over the years, it's pretty straightforward to do, the one thing I'd add is that - when looking at your sketch - there really is not much point in extending the 2 metal strips too far back (away from the face of the unit you are racking) as all the stresses will be on the area the face of the unit attaches too - what I mean by that is the part of the metal strip furtherest away from the front of the front of the racked unit will be doing pretty much nothing - and I suspect most of the metal strip away from the front of the racked unit will be doing very little in the way of support.

Another option - if you are able to do it - is to take off the top of the unit - drill some holes, screw the top to the underside of the shelf and then reattach the rest of the unit to the newly affixed top section . . . of course you can't do this with everything, it all depends on the design to the unit's case, but it works for most 19 rackable units (which you are prepared to deface a little).
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Wilson View Post
I've mounted a ton of stuff under shelves and under desks over the years, it's pretty straightforward to do, the one thing I'd add is that - when looking at your sketch - there really is not much point in extending the 2 metal strips too far back (away from the face of the unit you are racking) as all the stresses will be on the area the face of the unit attaches too - what I mean by that is the part of the metal strip furtherest away from the front of the front of the racked unit will be doing pretty much nothing - and I suspect most of the metal strip away from the front of the racked unit will be doing very little in the way of support.

Another option - if you are able to do it - is to take off the top of the unit - drill some holes, screw the top to the underside of the shelf and then reattach the rest of the unit to the newly affixed top section . . . of course you can't do this with everything, it all depends on the design to the unit's case, but it works for most 19 rackable units (which you are prepared to deface a little).
Lee-

Valuable advice for sure and you're right about the length being overkill.
Good point. '-)

2nd option is interesting and I seem to recall doing something similar to that
years ago. May not be best in this app though because of very limited rear access that in turn would necessitate unscrewing LOTS of little bolts in case I have to change out a cable. Good idea though that I had totally forgotten about. THANKS!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

As to that second idea, space is desirable for heat dissipation for almost every device in the known universe.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Lee-

Valuable advice for sure and you're right about the length being overkill.
Good point. '-)
Yeah, you could simply use a couple of little support brackets like this because, like I say, all the stresses are on the front plate - and the area directly supporting it.

Quote:
2nd option is interesting and I seem to recall doing something similar to that
years ago. May not be best in this app though because of very limited rear access that in turn would necessitate unscrewing LOTS of little bolts in case I have to change out a cable. Good idea though that I had totally forgotten about. THANKS!
Yep, not great for rear access (I seem to recall that very phrase coming up in my parole hearing).
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
As to that second idea, space is desirable for heat dissipation for almost every device in the known universe.
19" rackable units are designed to be stacked - in a rack - with lots of other 19" rackable units, they tend not to give off a lot of heat, if any at all, if they did then stacking lots of mini heaters closely packed in a rack would soon reveal itself as a bad idea, fortunately people have stacked a bunch of 19" rack units together for decades without any real issues.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
19" rackable units are designed to be stacked - in a rack - with lots of other 19" rackable units, they tend not to give off a lot of heat, if any at all, if they did then stacking lots of mini heaters closely packed in a rack would soon reveal itself as a bad idea, fortunately people have stacked a bunch of 19" rack units together for decades without any real issues.
Typically devices don’t care. But there is a big difference between racking gear with another thin piece of metal and airspace above it rather putting right up against 1.5” of solid mdf or wood.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Typically devices don’t care. But there is a big difference between racking gear with another thin piece of metal and airspace above it rather putting right up against 1.5” of solid mdf or wood.
We'll just have to disagree here, this (image below) is what you appear to be suggesting . . .

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Yes we will.

Ironically I’m drawing up three 44ru of elevations for a project right now. And leaving blank panels above equipment that demands it such as power distribution, UPS, DSP, network switches, etc. while not leaving airspace where it is detrimental such as amplifiers designed to cool from front/back and other less critical items.

In none of those instances will there be a solid plank of mdf or wood directly making contact with the top of a device designed for convection cooling.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
In none of those instances . . .
Yep, they're pretty specific instances, devices with specific installtion requirements, but assuming the OP is not trying to mount something like a power distribution device that specifies that a blank panel above it is required (I'd assume he'd know this and mention it) I think he will be absolutely fine. If there's still a concern then you could space the unit a few millimetres down from the bottom of the shelf.

Quote:
In none of those instances will there be a solid plank of mdf or wood directly making contact with the top of a device designed for convection cooling.
If a device mounted against the bottom of a shelf will make direct contact with the shelf, then it will make direct contact with the rack unit above it in a rack.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
If a device mounted against the bottom of a shelf will make direct contact with the shelf, then it will make direct contact with the rack unit above it in a rack.
Yes, but there is a difference between a device making contact with 16ga metal with airspace behind it that is also a convection cooled device and placing the lid of a device against a solid piece of wood or mdf that does not act as a heat sink.

That's why the Extron product I recommended above has a tiny bit of airspace above it.

I'm not suggesting a 1ru rack unit above a device mounted under a piece of furniture, but you do need a little space if you want to keep from diminishing the life of the device.

But knock yourself out. What do I know? Everyone is an expert on the internet...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes, but there is a difference between a device making contact with 16ga metal with airspace behind it that is also a convection cooled device and placing the lid of a device against a solid piece of wood or mdf that does not act as a heat sink.
Agreed, but whereas typically in a rack each unit (besides the topmost and bottommost) has a heat radiating unit above and below it, and more often than not closed-in sides . . . when mounted under a shelf like this a device has a lot of air circulation all around it and a completely exposed base.

But anyhow we could go around in circles with all this, I've done it with lots of gear and not had any issues whatsoever, but of course you are right that it might not be a good idea with something that specifically requires ventilation or gives off a lot of heat.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Agreed, but whereas typically in a rack each unit (besides the topmost and bottommost) has a heat radiating unit above and below it, and more often than not closed-in sides . . . when mounted under a shelf like this a device has a lot of air circulation all around it and a completely exposed base.

But anyhow we could go around in circles with all this, I've done it with lots of gear and not had any issues whatsoever, but of course you are right that it might not be a good idea with something that specifically requires ventilation or gives off a lot of heat.
Totally agree - although it is worth mentioning that a rack with lots of heat producing gear works as a system to bring heat to the top of the enclosure and vent out. Which is why it is best practice when building those racks to include active thermometer controlled ventilation for the rack itself. And to your point there are times where putting space between gear is actually detrimental to the overall cooling of the components in a rack - most anti-intuitively with certain power amps that rely on air movement from front to back (or back to front) where certain manufacturers actually warn against providing space which may disrupt the overall flow of air through the interior of the rack. In those instances it is typically a commercial environment and the overall rack is receiving controlled active cooling to provide airflow through the entire unit as a system.

With the above example of lots of consumer gear stuffed in a rack that rarely happens. That doesn't mean that heat isn't diminishing the life of the gear.

In any event - laminated racks have the rack rails stop gear just shy of the top of the rack for a reason. And if the OP is creating a DIY solution as opposed to an off the shelf solution for this scenario then provide 1/8" of clearance above the gear. It's not gonna' hurt anything, and quite possibly is going to extend the life of a heat-producing convection cooled electronic device. There is really no solid argument for *not* providing such space in that scenario.

Cheers,
Brock
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Totally agree - although it is worth mentioning that a rack with lots of heat producing gear works as a system to bring heat to the top of the enclosure and vent out. Which is why it is best practice when building those racks to include active thermometer controlled ventilation for the rack itself. And to your point there are times where putting space between gear is actually detrimental to the overall cooling of the components in a rack - most anti-intuitively with certain power amps that rely on air movement from front to back (or back to front) where certain manufacturers actually warn against providing space which may disrupt the overall flow of air through the interior of the rack. In those instances it is typically a commercial environment and the overall rack is receiving controlled active cooling to provide airflow through the entire unit as a system.

With the above example of lots of consumer gear stuffed in a rack that rarely happens. That doesn't mean that heat isn't diminishing the life of the gear.

In any event - laminated racks have the rack rails stop gear just shy of the top of the rack for a reason. And if the OP is creating a DIY solution as opposed to an off the shelf solution for this scenario then provide 1/8" of clearance above the gear. It's not gonna' hurt anything, and quite possibly is going to extend the life of a heat-producing convection cooled electronic device. There is really no solid argument for *not* providing such space in that scenario.

Cheers,
Brock
OP here and most likely will go DIY route and YES...I was planning on leaving at LEAST 1/8th of space between shelf bottom and gear top. '-)

THANKS TO ALL for good ideas and commentary as is usual here!

Appreciated.

Last edited by bhp2000; 1 week ago at 09:29 PM..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search