The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Yay! Another mic locker post!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Yay! Another mic locker post!

I record rock, folky stuff, electronics (mics not as important there), voiceover and sound art. I’m looking for sets of mics that would be complements to one another. I’d like one or two coloured LDCs, one less hyped LDC (leaning strongly towards the AT4050) and maybe a ribbon.

I’m looking for options that complement one another in terms of variety. I was thinking one tube, one solid state with transformer, one transformerless. I am looking for “workhorse, good on a lot of sources” mics as opposed to the perfect mic for any one voice or source.

Transformerless: AT 4050 or maybe a Gefell?
Transformer: something 87ish? Mojave 301, Advanced Audio 87, Stam 87, or maybe one of the Gefells with a transformer?
Tube: Mojave 301, or the Advanced Audio 67 or 47?
Ribbon: one of the A-T powered ribbons? Or a Royer 121 or 122.

Suggestions welcome. More details below for the curious (what do I have, what do I like, etc).

Right now, I borrow or rent a LDC, usually a Neumann u87ai though I’ve also borrowed a 47 (sometimes too “big”). What I like about the 87 is what everybody says: everything that goes through it sounds professionally recorded. It’s always good even though it’s not always the best. What don’t I like? The price tag for owning and the fact that the build quality on newer models isn’t what it once was.

Here’s what I record:
Vocalists: 2 men, one who can go low baritone to pretty high, the other sort midrangey indie rock voice. Two women: one low soprano range and one alto range. I do voice over and podcast work sometimes and am happy with my SM7 for myself.
Guitar amps — clean and overdriven
Bass amp — ditto
Acoustic guitar
Acoustic bass guitar (think acoustic guitar with bronze strings tonally but lower)
Percussion
I might like to be able to Glyn Johns a drum set with two LDCs though I usually leave drum recording to others. If I did record drums, I’d want a big rock sound.
I might want to record horns at some point

My current mic locker: Shure sm57, 58, SM7, KSM-32, Avenson STO-2 matched pair, Crown CM-700 pair, Sennheiser e906. RME Babyface for conversion and neutral pres, Chandler Germanium and Great River MP500NV for color.

Last edited by JES; 1 week ago at 03:13 PM.. Reason: iOS capitalizes “mics” for some reason
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

The 4050 is an incredibly useful mic on a W I D E range of sources form vocals, to instruments to ensembles, as well as working as room mics for just about any recording. AT AA CM67se is a truly lovely sounding mic, euphoric, works on a lot of voices, and pretty damn cheap for what it does and how it sounds. A vintage 87 is a wonderful thing on the right sources, which I think is what most clones and tributes are based on. I have no experience with the AI. On the ribbon front, consider the sE VooDoo series.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
Check out the new Tonelux JC37. I’ve had one on order for months and it just arrived in the mail today!! (My first big boy mic purchase)

It’s an amazing copy of the Sony C37a, which was used for Bob Dylan’s vocals, Frank Sinatra, Jimi Hendrix, Neil Young on some things, to more modern guys like James Bay (vocals on chaos and the calm), Bon Iver, and Young the Giant.

It might eat up your whole budget, but it’s pretty ribbon-y for an LDC so you might get the best of both worlds. It’s frequently used for cabs and acoustic guitars too.

I only had time to do some brief vocal tests with mine but it sounded really, really fuggin good. Lush and warm, full, 3D, vintage, and super smooth but detailed. Really looking forward to spending a fair chunk of this weekend experimenting with it.

For folk/indie rock type stuff - I don’t think you’ll find something better!
Old 1 week ago
The AEA N22 ribbon is mighty nice. Check it out. Or if you want to go way cheaper but still good...the Sterling ST170 ribbon.

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Thanks everyone. Please keep the suggestions and opinions coming. I also want to make sure the 3-4 mics I buy complement each other — what goes with what. So comments on that are appreciated too.

Last edited by JES; 1 week ago at 02:07 PM.. Reason: I hate autocorrect
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Rode Classic tube mic. That should round out your locker. Alternatively Mojave MA-300. These cover just about any vocalist and around $1k used.

But, the U87 would be my eventual target or the occasionally found M149 both in the $2500 range used. Actually the U87s can be had under $2k.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldone View Post
Rode Classic tube mic. That should round out your locker. Alternatively Mojave MA-300. These cover just about any vocalist and around $1k used.

But, the U87 would be my eventual target or the occasionally found M149 both in the $2500 range used. Actually the U87s can be had under $2k.
I keep hearing that but don’t see it online. Is there some secret place to look?
Old 5 days ago
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Thanks. I meant the sub 2k u87. Sorry if that was unclear. The question is always whether the mic will need work....

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search