All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
How do you like your monitor's vertical or horizontal
Old 19th June 2007
Lives for gear

How do you like your monitor's vertical or horizontal

What do you guy's perfer?
Old 19th June 2007
Lives for gear

there's a minor argument to be made that say's they should be verticle unless specified other by the manuf.... it has to do with un equall arrival times form the drivers which tends to make the image wander... but no ones gonna spank you either way...
Old 19th June 2007
Lives for gear

I think it depends on the monitor, pretty much what dementedchord said.

Then you can move them around if you want to change stuff (like where the tweeter is, the most directional part).
Old 19th June 2007
Gear Head

Hi Guys,

I'd recommend to always use your monitors vertically unless specified by the manufacturer.

With the tweeter and mid/bass beside each other the different path lengths between your ear and the drivers will cause cancelation around the crossover point. This could be as much as 10dB.

Cheers,
Old 20th June 2007
Lives for gear

Vertical for me. I have Event TR-8's and had them horizontal for awhile but when I turned them upright they sounded much better. A lot of it has to do with the room but you're pretty much always safe if you keep them vertical.
Old 20th June 2007
Lives for gear

Mine are vertical although I'm thinking of placing them horizontal.
Old 20th June 2007
Lives for gear

I'd recommend going vertical even if the manufacturer is trying to steer you away from it.

(That is, any driver that produces over 1KHz should be in a vertical line...)
Old 20th June 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by The MPCist View Post
Mine are vertical although I'm thinking of placing them horizontal.
If they are the Barefoots I can see in your Avatar then I would recommend leaving them in the vertical orientation.

Having them horizontal will reduce the horizontal dispersion and increase the vertical dispersion. The opposite of what you want to achieve.

Also, as you move side to side along your console, you will experience greater variation in the tonal balance of the sound due to three different distances to each driver in the cabinet.

I don't think there are any situations which would better suit a horizontally orientated monitor.

Cheers,

Last edited by benlilly; 20th June 2007 at 05:22 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 20th June 2007
Gear Addict

Mine are horizontal until I get a better chair that can raise me up a little! I am to low for my speaker stands right now. Given a preference(with the right height chair), I would place them vertically.
Old 20th June 2007
Gear Maniac

I tried turning my monitors on their sides once, but I couldn't read the screen anymore.

/sorry! heh
Old 20th June 2007
Lives for gear

I asked the guy who built my (vertical) monitors if they could be placed on their sides. He said "No, they're meant to be vertical."
Old 21st June 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlilly View Post
If they are the Barefoots I can see in your Avatar then I would recommend leaving them in the vertical orientation.

Having them horizontal will reduce the horizontal dispersion and increase the vertical dispersion. The opposite of what you want to achieve.

Also, as you move side to side along your console, you will experience greater variation in the tonal balance of the sound due to three different distances to each driver in the cabinet.

I don't think there are any situations which would better suit a horizontally orientated monitor.
Hi Ben. Welcome to the forum!

I designed the MM27 around the vertical orientation and that's what I recommend. Nonetheless, I have a minority of customers who swear by the horizontal orientation. Not my preference. But if it works for them and they're happy, I don't see any reason to argue the point. In practice, it seems a bit to me like working with a large midbass driver - say a 10" with that typically narrower sound field and sucked out midrange quality. Only, you don't have the midrange breakup usually associated with larger drivers.

Thomas
Old 21st June 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by reflexon View Post
Mine are horizontal until I get a better chair that can raise me up a little! I am to low for my speaker stands right now. Given a preference(with the right height chair), I would place them vertically.
I run my 1031s upside down to get the tweeter down to my ears...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search