The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Question on TRS Insert used with a Patchbay
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Question on TRS Insert used with a Patchbay

My mixer has a TRS Insert Connector on the rear for each ch.

I have a 16 ch TRS to TRS connected and a 48ch TRS Patchbay which has a Normalize and Half Normal switch for each ch. with front and rear, top and bottom jacks.

I'd prefer not to purchase more cables and use a TRS - TS for each ch when using effects.

Other than using the TRS/TRS cable to the bottom and making shorting plugs from TRS plugs for the top is there anything else I should consider?

Thanks !
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

That TRS insert is (probably) not a balanced connection. It's unbalanced send and return in one jack. Use something like this to connect normalled to your patchbay in with the send at the top and return at the bottom. Your manual should say if tip or ring is send or return.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut


Thanks for the response.

I want run the inserts from the mixer to a patchbay because the mixer is deep and will be pretty close to a wall. It's easier to use 16 plugs shorting the tip and ring than to use and purchase 16 of those connectors.

I was curious if there was another alternative.

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

If you short the tip and ring, I think you'd still get an out, but you wouldn't have a return. That is, the insert would then function only as a direct out for that channel. You also might run into some impedance issues.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

I didn't explain myself correctly.

I'm running the Direct Out's to my DAW.

Instead of pulling out the mixer or trying to reach over 2' to use the Inserts I want to use a Patchbay. If I use shorting plugs the only resistance will be the 10' TRS/TRS snake from the mixer to the patchbay. When I want to use a efx I can more easily patch it in.

I was just wondering if there was an easier way, say perhaps a patchbay that shorted the Tip/Ring until an effect was patched in.

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

AHH! I got it now! Unfortunately I've never seen such a patchbay, and doubt they exist. I think you'll have to plug 'em with a TR shorting plug when not in use.
Old 1 week ago
Use a tip/ring regular two conductor plug, and plug it in half way (to the first click) for the DI out. Usually first click is send, but as mentioned above, check manual.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump