The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Weight Tank Vs. Audioscape V-Comp?
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Weight Tank Vs. Audioscape V-Comp?

Hey Y'all,

I'm about to pull the trigger on one, and was curious if anyone has any personal experience with these that might help me make a decision. Looking for a tube-y and colorful comp to use with leads, bass, or anything that needs a bit of weight.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I have a Retro Sta and the Weight Tank. The V, which is based on the Sta is going to give you a more classic mid forward Mu compression with a bit more flexibility in the release and, IMO, a more interesting threshold character. The WT is much darker and definitely a good sounding Mu, but IMO, can't touch the STA on bass or vocals. The WT has a much slower attack at it's fastest.

My Sta sits on vocals. The WT did not do much for me on bass. I had two, sold one and bought a Grove Hill Liverpool, which has a lot more flexibility in attack and release times and I like much more on bass. If I had had the extra $400 at the time, I definitely would have gone the V-Comp route. I use my WT on violin, lead guitar, banjo or other instruments where even a moderate fast attack is not needed.

Hope that helps some!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

@ drBill
He has both.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

The V-Comp is sick. Really f*cking sick. Build quality is top notch, the distortion characteristic when you push it is incredibly satisfying, even with no GR happening. I'm basing this on 2 days of using it to track guitars and some vocals, so I'm not an authority, but it was one of those rare instances where just turning the thing on provided instant gratification.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Thanks everyone for the info.. sounds like the V-Comp is the way to go. I appreciate it!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
I own a sta-level and a weight tank . I’m with swafford as stated above get the v comp.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search