The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Radar 24 USB .02 card replacement question;
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Radar 24 USB .02 card replacement question;

Need to know exact kind of USB 0.02 PCI card I need to replace re R24;

Well over a year ago I have been sending various threads into Gearslutz re my Radar 24 (s/w 3.57) -going on the blink in various ways.

My machine would periodically freeze up when navigating on the project screen -or sometimes even when playing audio. -I kept having to shut down & reboot when the R24 would often freeze.

Eventually my AGP Video Card burnt out/broke down, probably due to all of these shut-downs/reboots, so, (after a lot of research, and only thanks to other R24 owners on Gearslutz I found out what kind of AGP video card that I needed, got one & installed it.

-But then, I had a very difficult time getting the CMOS Reset working right, -and when doing so lost the ability to re-activate mt K2 keyboard -that i always connect to the USB 0.02 card.

-By that time I had a friend who use to be a computer tech. helping & he saw a Radar message on my screen that indicated that there might be something amiss with my USB .02 card, -so he advised me to pull the USB .02 card.

When I pulled the USB .02 card out, I was finally able to do the CMOS set up & get onto my project page -with my K2 key board connected to my USB .01 card.

Everything seemed to work OK for a while,.... -and then it started up again with the freezing-up & needing reboots,.... finally it froze & then would no longer boot up again.

Happily, -I've managed to get my friend again, (who used to work as a comp. tech.), to take a look at my disfunctional R24 -and he was able to get it up & running again.

He found that the square heat-sync cap that protects the video processor on the side of the AGP Video Card had come loose.

He secured it back on with a heat-sync glue compound, -and after putting the repaired video card back in, & doing the CMOS reset, -it booted up -quite successfully.

-Another thing he did that I thought he should mention, -is that in, "CHIPSET FEATURES SET UP" he changed, TOP PERFORMANCE ENABLED to TOP PERFORMANCE DISABLED

-He figured that this change in setting would allow the machine to complete it's various navigation etc. type functions without it so often freezing up, needing to be shut down, & be re-booted again.
-So far I am now finding that I can navigate the screen normally again. -I haven't had the controls & screen freeze, needing to be shut down & rebooted yet...

As well, it's worth mentioning that the 0.02 USB card that I needed to pull out of the R24, -to get it up & running the previous time, has been tested in other devices & so now we know that the 0.02 USB card was definitely disfunctional.

*The trouble is, it seems that my friend has already thrown away the old USB.02 card -and Radar support etc. will not tell me what sort of USB.02 card I need. I'm thinking that it just may be quite important & a mistake here could very well cause other breakdowns....

Though I now seem to be navigating & playing audio without keyboard-controls & screen freezing -& needing re-bootings -I must wonder why it could function before at the, "TOP PERFORMANCE ENABLED" setting before -and now needs to be set at a lower performance setting.???
Is this lower performance setting, (TOP PERFORMANCE DISABLED) going to effect or compromise my audio tracking quality or other machine functions ? What should I know about re this ?

It would seem to me that the old USB 2 card broke down -somewhere in all of the many, many, CMOS reset attempts that I needed to go through ever after I first came to replace the AGP Video card, as there was a problem with activating the K2 keyboard again through this USB 2 card.

The navigation & play-back freeze-up problems were happening frequently for some time before the video card broke down, -And I do believe that these frequent shut downs & reboots contributed to the decline of the AGP Video Card in the first place.)

-The thing is I'm apprehensive that something other malfunctioning in this R24 may have caused this USB 2.0 card's failing, (other than the AGP video card's break down).

I'm somewhat concerned that it seems to need to have the BIOS settings changed to a lower performance one -the, TOP PERFORMANCE DISABLED in "CHIPSET FEATURES SET UP" -in order to navigate around the project page on the screen, -and not be periodically freezing up, needing to be shut down & rebooted. -Of course, I can't really say with any certainty that now that the AGP Video Card is repaired & working -whether or not the screens project page wouldn't navigate smoothly without freezing, because I do not yet understand the interactions within the machine to that degree.

The R24 replacement USB 2 card must be a PCI card, do you think that a, VIA chipset usb 2.0 card would work with my R24 (s/w 3.57) ?

-I've found a USB 2.0 4 Port 480 Mbps High Speed VIA HUB PCI Controller Card Adapter PCI Card for a very low price.

It would be nice if it was good for my R24 (s/w 3.57)

Cheers,
Thrip

Last edited by Thrip; 1 week ago at 07:04 PM.. Reason: paragraph edit

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search