The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What Preamp would you suggest?
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
What Preamp would you suggest?

Hi!

I'm a newbie at this but I need some help.

I own a focusrite scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen interface and I bought a pair of Beyerdynamics DT 909 PRO's, but I found out that the interface can only drive 200 ohms to the headphones which need 250 ohms to work at their full potential..
So, i guess i need a preamp, but i don't know which ones to get, I'm a real noob at this, so I am asking you for help.
What preamp would you suggest?

thx.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by webb27 View Post
Hi!

I own a focusrite scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen interface and I bought a pair of Beyerdynamics DT 909 PRO's, but I found out that the interface can only drive 200 ohms to the headphones which need 250 ohms to work at their full potential..
So, i guess i need a preamp, but i don't know which ones to get, I'm a real noob at this, so I am asking you for help.

thx.
Just the opposite what you need; having a higher Imp. phones than amp can drive is BETTER...
Pre amp? You mean Mic Pre amp?
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
No, i mean an headphone preamp, because my headphones have an higher impendace than what my interface can handle, so my volume isnt very loud even when maxed out .
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
No, i mean an headphone preamp, because my headphones have an higher impendace than what my interface can handle, so my volume isnt very loud even when maxed out .
Volume is also at work..your problem is NOT Impedance but not enough Level..
Plus some phones are not designed for HIGH SPL as some are.
I know many studios that use a 20 watt & higher power amp for phones..Maybe because they are cheaper than some of the high end phone amps.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

You don’t want high impedance into low impedance.

Just trying plugging a guitar directly into a line input.

So a 1500 ohm into 1kohm is best. It doesn’t load the device driving into it.

I think the rule of thumb is 7-10 times the impedance.

Api uses 1kohm inputs on its Tranzformer boxes for a reason.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogerface View Post
You don’t want high impedance into low impedance.

Just trying plugging a guitar directly into a line input.

So a 1500 ohm into 1kohm is best. It doesn’t load the device driving into it.

I think the rule of thumb is 7-10 times the impedance.

Api uses 1kohm inputs on its Tranzformer boxes for a reason.
What???
Your talking INPUT, we are talking OUTPUT..
Plus; the so called 7 to 10 times would be more like; Mic Imp 150 Ohms> Mic pre input Imp 1K to 1.5K..
Again, his problem is Level, specs I saw stated 7dB, Not much level...

You need around a +16dB level for max output...

Last edited by nosebleedaudio; 1 week ago at 04:31 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

WHAT HAPPENS IF I CONNECT MY STUDIO-QUALITY HEADPHONES TO MY IPHONE?

The good news is that high-impedance headphones will never overload or damage a portable device. Battery life may be increased, distortion may decrease, noise may be decrease, and the SNR may improve. The bad news is that the maximum playback level may be too low. Bottom line - if you have a pair of high-impedance headphones, try them with your portable devices. If the playback level is loud enough, high-impedance headphones should improve the overall sound quality of your portable device. But beware, the maximum playback level may be too low when driving high-impedance headphones from a portable device.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Hi!

thx.
Not getting your problem...

Your Focusrite HP output can't drive your headphones loud enough, so you need a preamp? Sorry, but that does not make sense.

I've used a lot of Focusrite stuff, and have never had a problem with the HP output level on any HPs I've used. I have read that people complain about the Beyerdynamics DT 909 PRO as being not loud enough. Personally, I'd suggest you return them if you can, and find louder headphones. A preamp is not going to solve your problem.

If you are referring to a headphone amp, like you are going to plug the 2i2 LR outputs into a HP amp that will drive the Beyers louder, I wouldn't bother. You'll pay more than the 2i2 costs for anything decent.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennybro View Post
Not getting your problem...

Your Focusrite HP output can't drive your headphones loud enough, so you need a preamp? Sorry, but that does not make sense.

I've used a lot of Focusrite stuff, and have never had a problem with the HP output level on any HPs I've used. I have read that people complain about the Beyerdynamics DT 909 PRO as being not loud enough. Personally, I'd suggest you return them if you can, and find louder headphones. A preamp is not going to solve your problem.

If you are referring to a headphone amp, like you are going to plug the 2i2 LR outputs into a HP amp that will drive the Beyers louder, I wouldn't bother. You'll pay more than the 2i2 costs for anything decent.
From Focusrite help center:

"- For all 1st Gen, 2nd Gen, and 3rd Gen Bus-Powered Scarlett interfaces (Solo, 2i2, 2i4, and 4i4), iTrack Solo and Saffire 6 USB look for headphones with a maximum impedance of 200 ohms."

The headphones i use (Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO) have an impedence of 250 ohms, this is why i think i cant get enough volume out of them, so what can i do to solve this ?

I hear a lot about using a headphone preamp, that's why i mentioned it

Last edited by webb27; 1 week ago at 05:03 PM.. Reason: Adding some stuff
Old 1 week ago
Quote:

"- For all 1st Gen, 2nd Gen, and 3rd Gen Bus-Powered Scarlett interfaces (Solo, 2i2, 2i4, and 4i4), iTrack Solo and Saffire 6 USB look for headphones with a maximum impedance of 200 ohms."

The headphones i use (Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO) have an impedence of 250 ohms, this is why i think i cant get enough volume out of them, so what can i do to solve this ?

A "headphone preamp" is not a thing, although there are preamps that have headphone outputs, like the Mytek Stereo 192. One option is getting a headphone amp with more power than the focusrite's output. The impedance of the headphones *can* factor in the headphone amp's ability to drive them, but there are other factors at play. It's not just about impedance.

The other option is to find other phones you like with a higher sensitivity rating and most likely lower impedance than 200 Ohms.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Just to clarify, you HAVE plugged your phones into the interface headphone out and found that the phones don’t play loud enough, even with the headphone knob maxxed out?
Yes or no.

Last edited by Bushman; 1 week ago at 01:59 AM.. Reason: Boredom
Old 1 week ago
Quote:

You are looking for a headphone amp; not a preamp. Actually, you can get a Sampson, Art, or Behringer HP amp for about 50 bucks that's drive those cans. Just drive it off the LR main outs of the 2i2. Sweetwater has em. Just go there and search "Headphone Amplifier."
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I've got the same cans. With other prosumer gear, I've had no problems. I have to turn up the volume a little more than my other headphones (which are lower impedance). Not very much, though. I haven't tried them with a Scarlett.

Are you sure you're not sending too low levels to your outputs, a gain issue at some stage? It's hard for me to believe that a Scarlett can't power 250ohm DT-990, despite their recommendations, unless 200ohm really is borderline with it. You wouldn't have to turn the volume up much vs 200ohm headphones. A little bit.

Have you tried monitors out of the Scarlett? Do you have to turn the volume higher than you'd expected, to get it loud enough through the monitors, too? Sorry, I'm still flummoxed if Scarlett can't handle these headphones, with proper levels coming from the DAW, and the interface set properly.

They do sell small headphones amps. Behringer's HA400 is cheap, but the volume only goes to 10. Presonus HP4 is 5x as expensive ($25 vs $125 new), but as you'll notice, the volume goes all the way to 12. Just kidding, haha, kinda... The reviews say the Behringer has more noise floor and distorts at lower volume than the Presonus, so perhaps the 10 & 12, though arbitrary, can be interpreted symbolically. Also, the Presonus has 2 balanced 1/4" inputs. With the Behringer, I think you need a Y-adapter to connect from your interface.

IDK, I'd buy a better interface, or lower impedance cans, if I couldn't make it work without a separate amp. Probably a better interface. I'm looking at the new Motu M4 (there's also M2) for a laptop interface. I just assume it can handle the Beyers, but now I suppose I should check. Thanks, one more thing to have to think about!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Your looking at this wrong, 200 Ohms is the LOWEST not highest..your 250 Ohms are fine...Still has Nothing to do with the low level of +7dB..
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Hi!

thx.
As said above you dont need a preamp.

I dont know if you will notice a huge difference.
If the Scarlet handles 200ohm and you are at 250ohm. If you were to go 600ohm headphones you will lose more volume.

Like said above, you can try a headphone amplifier and see if that works for you.

You have two options-

a) get lower ohm headphones (32ohm or so...will be louder)

b) get a headphone amp (may as well get one that handles 600ohms )

I went to the Beyer DT880 that are 280ohm and also have the Sennheiser 280 and Sony 7506 lower ohm. My interface specs out higher impedance headphones. I bought a used Grace Design headphone amp for my 880's.
The Grace Design has a better sound, very full and handles the lows really well.
The other headphone amp rack units sound good too and were a good upgrade from the other USB powered interface we had.

Someday I hope to get up to a nice 600ohm set.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
Just to clarify, you HAVE plugged your phones into the interface headphone out and found that the phones don’t play loud enough, even with the headphone knob maxxed out?
Yes or no.
Exacty.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aural Endeavors View Post
A "headphone preamp" is not a thing, although there are preamps that have headphone outputs, like the Mytek Stereo 192. One option is getting a headphone amp with more power than the focusrite's output. The impedance of the headphones *can* factor in the headphone amp's ability to drive them, but there are other factors at play. It's not just about impedance.

The other option is to find other phones you like with a higher sensitivity rating and most likely lower impedance than 200 Ohms.
Im gonna buy an headphone amp, what would you suggest?
Old 1 week ago
I had good luck with the Behringer HA700 for $50 used, and it offers numerous outputs and takes any headphones.
Also have a Grace Design thats my "hi-end" with two inputs used around $400.

Another option is get the Clarett?

You've obviously seen this..
I noticed the Clarett states it can handle up to 600ohm headphones.
Focusrite:
As a general rule, higher impedance headphones require more power from the headphone output of your interface than lower impedance headphones.

If unsure of what to purchase follow these general guidelines, though you may find that our products can actually drive higher impedance headphones than the values listed below without issue:

- For all 1st Gen, 2nd Gen, and 3rd Gen Bus-Powered Scarlett interfaces (Solo, 2i2, 2i4, and 4i4), iTrack Solo and Saffire 6 USB look for headphones with a maximum impedance of 200 ohms.

- For all 1st Gen, 2nd Gen, and 3rd Gen mains powered Scarlett interfaces (6i6, 8i6, 18i6, 18i8 and 18i20) look for headphones with a maximum impedance of 250 ohms.

- For all Clarett (USB and Thunderbolt variants) and Red (Thunderbolt) interfaces, headphones with impedances of up to 600 ohms will be fine.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
I have the PreSonus headphone amp. It has balanced pass-throughs, so you don’t lose your outputs by using the unit. It has four separate headphone outs with individual levels, so it is useful for multiple speaker podcasts or small group multitrack recording.
And it can play very loud.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search