The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Help dating U87 & identifying capsule
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Help dating U87 & identifying capsule

Just purchased a vintage U87, looking to find the date of manufacture. Serial is # 13.168.

Capsule looks to be in too good condition to be the original, and I'm no expert in identifying genuine Neumann capsules. The layout of the screws do seem to match other Neumann capsules, as do the hand-written numbers.

Any help would be appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Help dating U87 & identifying capsule-img_1438.jpg   Help dating U87 & identifying capsule-img_1439.jpg   Help dating U87 & identifying capsule-img_1437.jpg  
Old 2 weeks ago
Emi
Gear Addict

Send an email to Neumann with the serial number, they will tell when was the mic built. This is what I did with all my Neumann mics.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Yeah, they can get the exact date shipped.

Last edited by toledo3; 1 week ago at 07:13 PM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emi View Post
Send an email to Neumann with the serial number, they will tell when was the mic built. This is what I did with all my Neumann mics.
Thanks, couldn't find an email on their site but used the old address.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

The capsule was made in 1996. And is all-original. The capsule date also indicates that it most likely is a replacement capsule for a U87, a model that was discontinued in 1996. The serial number of the mic would confirm that.

And, for the hundredth time: Neumann does NOT publish records of manufacturing dates of any of their mics, no matter what the revolving staff assigned to this job in Berlin tells you, but the company ledgers record the date of SHIPPING. Due to privacy laws in Germany, the previously very detailed shipping information is no longer published.

"Shipping date" reference was eventually lost, once the Neumann "Pinboard" site went down, a few years back.

The methods to date a Neumann mic (if it's all-original):

1. capsule date
2. component details/build details
3. schematic/circuit version
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaus View Post
The capsule was made in 1996. And is all-original. The capsule date also indicates that it most likely is a replacement capsule for a U87, a model that was discontinued in 1996. The serial number of the mic would confirm that.

And, for the hundredth time: Neumann does NOT publish records of manufacturing dates of any of their mics, no matter what the revolving staff assigned to this job in Berlin tells you, but the company ledgers record the date of SHIPPING. Due to privacy laws in Germany, the previously very detailed shipping information is no longer published.

"Shipping date" reference was eventually lost, once the Neumann "Pinboard" site went down, a few years back.

The methods to date a Neumann mic (if it's all-original):

1. capsule date
2. component details/build details
3. schematic/circuit version
Great to know it's genuine Neumann, thank you for your expertise.

Since shipping date is lost, I would think the [email protected] email address is defunct now, correct?

The capsule is certainly not original, as serial is in the low 13xxx's, and still has the battery compartment. Serial is marked with the red dot as having the low output circuitry, but looks like someone wired the transformer back in series and bypassed the output pads years ago.

I've learned a lot from your posts, thanks for chiming in here.
Attached Thumbnails
Help dating U87 & identifying capsule-wr9t9es.jpg   Help dating U87 & identifying capsule-azf9vdj.jpg   Help dating U87 & identifying capsule-ja9uonc.jpg   Help dating U87 & identifying capsule-wem85pa.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
You can mail Neumann at that adress. I had two u87s in the #25k range and they where from mid 70s
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Since shipping date is lost, I would think the [email protected] email address is defunct now, correct?
Not sure what you mean by "Since shipping date is lost". As I've said, shipping dates are the only dates Neumann has and makes available, never mind the misinformation in the email address to the contrary. Neumann HAS the shipping date when your mic originally went to the distributor, regardless of what you may or may not be able to dig up.

Last edited by Klaus; 1 week ago at 01:10 AM..
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

I realize now Klaus meant that Neumann had to take down the detailed information on the old pinboard, not that Neumann had to get rid of their internal records.

In case it helps anyone date their own U87 in the future, Neumann responding saying mine was shipped in 1970. Thanks to all who responded!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Great, I'll add yours to my database.
Thanks.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search