The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
advice on 1 or 2(stereo) pieces of gear for everything to run through?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

advice on 1 or 2(stereo) pieces of gear for everything to run through?

Sorry if this is the wrong forum for this.

Let me just start off by saying, I've really always been fascinated with the Pultec Eqp-1a and the warmth it adds just by running through it, I never used one in person but have read up on it, watched people use them in videos and clearly have tried a lot of the emulations.

The Pultec might not be the best solution for what I'm trying to achieve as I think the warmth aspect is more of what I'm after as opposed too the actual curves, and it might be that I just have some unhealthy fascination with owning 1. I also don't know if a WarmAudio clone would feed that haha or produce that same warmth, but maybe.

Back to what I'm trying to get at.

I want something that will add warmth/cohesiveness in a real way to all of my audio that's ITB(an actual tape machine is out of the question for the time being), all of my virtual instruments, audio that's already in there. So routing out and back in. Being able to record vocals would be a plus but not a must. I own a LA610-mk2 that I love for my voice, and have a bunch of unison plugs as well. I've been happy with how vocals have been coming out, but definitely wouldn't mind running vocals out and back in through the unit once recorded(or recorded through) along with ITB audio if it would add some character. Something like a Shelford channel looks amazing, but would running ITB audio out and through it give me that sound? Plus would have to buy 2(same with Pultec) and 7grand is a lot, but price aside for the time being, would that give a nice warmth to all of my tracks?

Maybe a physical 1073? or a mini but great console? but I'm set on working in Ableton and just looking more for dressing up my dry audio, so a console might be overkill. I own a lot of UAD stuff and have plenty of processing for their plugs, use to have a UAD 1073 on every track, and although decent, I'm looking for that extra depth.

The HG-2 Black Box looks sick! but looks to be more for an entire mix or mastering unit, not individual tracks.

I'm currently using True Iron and Tape 80 from ik as my first two instances on every track and this work flow has allowed me to reach a place where my options in this thread are less and less of a priority. The sound I get with these two is lovely, along with Acustica audio Purple2 later in the chain(and a bunch of other plug-ins in-between). Although the sound I'm getting is really good, I'm always looking for some warmth, depth and juice to start off with for my dry audio. Some hardware units seem to really have a warm 3D and open sound, would like to treat some of my dry audio with that.

Back to the Pultec.

So there's no way to actually preserve a stereo signal through a single one of these units correct? I work in Ableton and leave everything as dual mono or stereo. Even vocals that are recorded mono, and show to be mono are actually fed to a stereo track channel in Ableton, and although you can use the utility to turn stuff to mono, I've just settled on dual mono and stereo. I could get away running dual mono through a single unit but wouldn't work for all my tracks that have some stereo field going on. So I would be looking to get two units if something like a Pultec or the Neves was my final choice. Something like the HG-2 would be stereo but am looking to compliment individual tracks.

Has anyone tried the Manely stereo Pultec? does it add the same warmth as the regular Pultec?

Let's say I did have 2 Pultec units and coming out left and right 1 stereo track into the two units. If I wanted to utilize the eq, would eq'ing both units identically and going back into a stereo track cause any problems? Sorry if these questions are extremely amateur, I'm just so use to being able to plop a plug-in on any track and was confused about the best way to use a physical Pultec on a stereo source.

And if anyone here has a killer ITB workflow they would like to mention, I'm all ears, thank you.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac

Not that anyone prob cares, but I wanted to update the thread.

I went with the black box analog hg-2!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search