The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Trend to warm, thick drums mixes
Old 2 weeks ago
  #31
Lives for gear
 
chrischoir's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by andychamp View Post
Easy mistake to make, they're optically pretty similar.
The flares on North are circular, and their bass drums were normal, circular ones, too.
Staccato had those weird shaped flares on all drums
(Except snares for both brands)
I think I was trying to say in a nice way that these drums are clearly a rip off off north drums.
Old 1 week ago
  #32
Gear Maniac
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07_SYcIWI4E

I noticed the same thing. He's boosting 300 Hz and 700 Hz in his snare, and also 655 in his kick.

Not only that but I don't think he's really cutting anything in those mid to low mid areas either. Like you said, one of the first thing I was taught, was to find that ring in the snare (250-400 Hz,) and surgically remove it.
Old 1 week ago
  #33
Lives for gear
 
tymish's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by swafford View Post
How else do you get the snare to separate from the banjo?
Throw an accordion at 'em? Pry them apart with an oboe?
Old 1 week ago
  #34
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravyface View Post
I personally miss that Deep Purple/Yes/King Crimson drum sound: crystal clear, high-passed, but still with punch and impact.

Big, but deadened room (drums flanked by gobos), guys who could catch a rim shot every time, but not aggressively loud in the mix... airy cymbals, not super compressed. Just sounds like crisp overheads with little close miking.
You should listen to Black Midi then. It's not quite the sound you're describing, but it certainly doesn't have that fat and warm thing going on. It's a little crispy for my taste, personally.
Old 1 week ago
  #35
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlane View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07_SYcIWI4E

I noticed the same thing. He's boosting 300 Hz and 700 Hz in his snare, and also 655 in his kick.

Not only that but I don't think he's really cutting anything in those mid to low mid areas either. Like you said, one of the first thing I was taught, was to find that ring in the snare (250-400 Hz,) and surgically remove it.
Same here. The ever present mids and unboosted highs is not intuitive for me. But, it is the trend for some styles.

To not dig out those ringing freqs....I would have to force myself.

george
Old 1 week ago
  #36
Lives for gear
I’ll show my age and add when did kick drums start sounding like a click instead of a good solid thump
Old 1 week ago
  #37
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmade View Post
I’ll show my age and add when did kick drums start sounding like a click instead of a good solid thump
Pretty much after people started mixing live techniques into the studio.
Old 1 week ago
  #38
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravyface View Post
That Flying Micro Banana video is the only one I've seen. 57 over the shoulder mic would definitely contribute to the low pass sound.

The drums sound super roomy too, despite looking like a small space with the office divider panels there. Must be a high ceiling/larger space than it looks.


Very much recording in the sense of capturing a full instrument. Lots of gear there to spot. The space is not that high, but quite large when you look at it. Not much treatment at all, except for the drum wall.
Old 1 week ago
  #39
Gear Head
 

Just watch a video on Compass Point Studios, back in the day.
Back in Black was recorded there, low ceiling and all.
Drums (and everything else, for that matter) sound huuuge.
Old 1 week ago
  #40
Lives for gear
 
tymish's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunadoo View Post
Just watch a video on Compass Point Studios, back in the day.
Back in Black was recorded there, low ceiling and all.
Drums (and everything else, for that matter) sound huuuge.
The cieling wasn't that low. From pics and vids looks to be 10' - 12' high. Not incredibly high but high enough to avoid the boxies.

This is spooky, someone visited long after it closed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47jGbzIlE_M
Old 1 week ago
  #41
Gear Guru
 
Drumsound's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by tymish View Post
The cieling wasn't that low. From pics and vids looks to be 10' - 12' high. Not incredibly high but high enough to avoid the boxies.

This is spooky, someone visited long after it closed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47jGbzIlE_M
I can't believe the Neve VR and MCI decks are still there. I knew there was some shard sht that went down, but I just assumed the gear was sold off.
Old 1 week ago
  #42
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tymish View Post
The cieling wasn't that low. From pics and vids looks to be 10' - 12' high. Not incredibly high but high enough to avoid the boxies.

This is spooky, someone visited long after it closed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47jGbzIlE_M
Yeah, that's the video I saw.
Mci board and tape machines, still there, wow.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump