The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sanken CU-55 - AEA N8 Stereo pairs. Smooth and Natural!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Sanken CU-55 - AEA N8 Stereo pairs. Smooth and Natural!

Hi! I am looking to get a pair of great mic for multiple uses but mostly rooms, further micing, Strings, Woodwinds, Folk music etc.

I need something smooth and these are the two pair on which I have a really hard time to choose.

I love what I hear with the CU-55 it's one of the most natural sounding mic to me without being sterile.
But in the other hand, the AEA R88 is one of my favourite mic for natural tone, but I find myself almost using a little bit of EQ on these.

I don't want anything bright or to open. That's why these too talk to me a lot.

Any opinions on which one should I buy?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by laperlestudio View Post
Hi! I am looking to get a pair of great mic for multiple uses but mostly rooms, further micing, Strings, Woodwinds, Folk music etc.

I need something smooth and these are the two pair on which I have a really hard time to choose.

I love what I hear with the CU-55 it's one of the most natural sounding mic to me without being sterile.
But in the other hand, the AEA R88 is one of my favourite mic for natural tone, but I find myself almost using a little bit of EQ on these.

I don't want anything bright or to open. That's why these too talk to me a lot.

Any opinions on which one should I buy?
Easy! Buy the one you like the most!

These two mics are quite different.. one is a ribbon, fig. 8 mic and the other is a condenser cardioid (I’d also say not very tight cardioid.. is probably more a wide cardioid imho, which is not forcely a bad thing, it depends what do you need).
Both are very high quality. Both are great sounding mics and great tools. Can’t go wrong.

The R88 is a stereo mic and it’s big (and rather heavy), so placement sometimes might require “attention” and a big stand.
For room work might have an edge, due to its stereo nature and blumlein pattern.. although it also depends in the room you’re in and what do you want.
I love the R88. Every serious place should have one (or a B&O BM5).

The CU-55 is a small mic, and it’s mono, which might offer more “flexibility” and it’s very easy to place/position. Very nice off axis response, it’s still a condenser but while detailed it doesn’t have the typical mid-high bump.. so to say.. that might be the reason why some ppl describe it as “natural” sounding.

I suggest you to find a dealer / distributor that let you test them in YOUR room and your stuff, which will play a big role.
You’re the only one who could say which one is better for you..really..

(If you need a touch of eq on the topend with the ribbon is rather normal, better to add the amount needed than trying subtract gobs of shrillness..
my point is: don’t worry about that.. or find a preamp that have a higher impedance, it might just be the ticket).

Cheu
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheu78 View Post
Easy! Buy the one you like the most!

These two mics are quite different.. one is a ribbon, fig. 8 mic and the other is a condenser cardioid (I’d also say not very tight cardioid.. is probably more a wide cardioid imho, which is not forcely a bad thing, it depends what do you need).
Both are very high quality. Both are great sounding mics and great tools. Can’t go wrong.

The R88 is a stereo mic and it’s big (and rather heavy), so placement sometimes might require “attention” and a big stand.
For room work might have an edge, due to its stereo nature and blumlein pattern.. although it also depends in the room you’re in and what do you want.
I love the R88. Every serious place should have one (or a B&O BM5).

The CU-55 is a small mic, and it’s mono, which might offer more “flexibility” and it’s very easy to place/position. Very nice off axis response, it’s still a condenser but while detailed it doesn’t have the typical mid-high bump.. so to say.. that might be the reason why some ppl describe it as “natural” sounding.

I suggest you to find a dealer / distributor that let you test them in YOUR room and your stuff, which will play a big role.
You’re the only one who could say which one is better for you..really..

(If you need a touch of eq on the topend with the ribbon is rather normal, better to add the amount needed than trying subtract gobs of shrillness..
my point is: don’t worry about that.. or find a preamp that have a higher impedance, it might just be the ticket).

Cheu
I know both mic well and I love what each of these can bring to the arsenal. And I am talking about the N8, not the R88 (which i love a lot!)
They have a kit with the stereo bar for the the N8 that is really good.
But there is also something really nice in the smoothness of the Cu-55 that I don't hear much in other condenser, that is what bring them closer to each other even if one is a ribbon and one is a Cardioid condenser.

I have use the N8 on violin and mandolin a lot in the past few years and I really enjoyed it. But I am sure that the CU55 would also be great for covering those instrument. I feel it could a bit more 3D, but maybe it's just in my head.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by laperlestudio View Post
I know both mic well and I love what each of these can bring to the arsenal. And I am talking about the N8, not the R88 (which i love a lot!)
They have a kit with the stereo bar for the the N8 that is really good.
But there is also something really nice in the smoothness of the Cu-55 that I don't hear much in other condenser, that is what bring them closer to each other even if one is a ribbon and one is a Cardioid condenser.

I have use the N8 on violin and mandolin a lot in the past few years and I really enjoyed it. But I am sure that the CU55 would also be great for covering those instrument. I feel it could a bit more 3D, but maybe it's just in my head.

Sorry, I read the text.. didn’t see the title above your post regarding the N8.

Funnily enough, although the N8 and the R88 should be the same, I didn’t had that feeling when I used one.. dunno.. I much preferred the R88..

I believe that there’s no right or wrong..
I feel that you might lean more towards the CU-55, from your answer ..

The true GS answer would be: get both!! Ahahaha!!
Kiddin’..

..kind of..

Although looking at your mic locker might give hints to which way to go..?

Cheu

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search