The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Dynamic convolution Neve console.
Old 2nd July 2007 | Show parent
OK, I'm testing out a new situation for proper demos you can actually hear something on. These are so good that it matters whether I _dithered_ to 24 bit on output (the plugs, as AUs, run on a 32 bit internal buss so they don't have to dither to each other to maintain full resolution)

Let me know if this is broken or unworkable for anybody, I'm gearing up to do ALL the plugins with demos this way, thanks to Slide for the sound files. I think most plugins will be demonstrated on full band material just to reveal them better, but already I'm finding some use for the individual tracks- Elation is being demonstrated on both the full band and the isolated lead vocal.

Dry: http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=1...52288129a1d8c3

Character (the stuff I've been talking about): http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=1...8e4929b380c790

Gotta love MediaFire. Talk about easy to throw these links around... I hope it's reasonably good for file downloaders too, TELL ME if there's any problem. It's not convenient for me to host gigs of files on my own little webserver, but if MediaFire doesn't work out for people I'll find something else...

Soon to continue, populating other sections of my website with 24 bit demos
wow, lot's of files!!!!

Downloading right now
Lives for gear

Hi Chris,

Can yoi give me some indication as to the functionality of the plugin controls:

Hardness

Personality

Drive

especially with regard to the compressor type plugs - what are these controls actually modifying?

Cheers.
You got me on the Elation and the Calibre so far... APIcolypse didn't impress me.
Downloading other now...
Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseflaw View Post
Hi Chris,
Can yoi give me some indication as to the functionality of the plugin controls:
Hardness
Personality
Drive
especially with regard to the compressor type plugs - what are these controls actually modifying?
Cheers.
Sure. Remember, even the compressor types are CHARACTER first and compression after- any stock DAW compressor plug will do a better job of compressing cleanly, these produce color and texture.

Hardness is 'cleanest' at full crank. For the compressor types it ties in with threshold, for the character plugs (and Logical) it also sets the point at which the saturation curve goes non-linear. Pull it down and things get dirtier and grungier, but also more upfront and forward. This aspect of it is very similar to what Charles Dye does with Analog Channel- the output goes non-linear at a certain point, and you mix through it.

Personality controls the convolution-like behavior. The whole character the plugin brings goes through this. It defaults to 1, I made almost all the demos at somewhat higher settings tuning it by ear, and you can set it to lower settings to get closer to the source sound. Setting it to 0 disables it, and any character issues (lack of low bass on Neverland etc) will gradually go away as you approach zero.

Drive is basically just how hard you're hitting it. Defaults to 1 which is unity gain. The max says 2 but it's really 2*2 or 4X gain, and I don't think many of these really sound good distorted that hard, but extremely quiet stuff can sometimes be helped with the extra gain. There's no extra distortion that goes with Drive, it's strictly how hard you're hitting the saturation controlled by Hardness, so if Hardness is at full crank and Personality is at 0 then Drive is nothing but a gain control feeding digital clipping

Pretty much anything about these plugs can be either exaggerated or gradually backed down to bit-identical clean-ness. You don't have to exaggerate them unless you want to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeronimo View Post
You got me on the Elation and the Calibre so far...
You're kidding! I think Calibre sounds horrible, but it's a wonderful sort of horrible. That one's strictly for my own enjoyment- so I thought
Quote:
Originally Posted by True North View Post
VST.... please....purty please , thanks.
Too bad it will probably never happen because that is the only way I would use it. Sounds like a cool product though.

I've got my very best customer waiting on some tape-flutter plugins that I'm still trying to debug (can't get their latency compensated right, argh), there's another guy looking to me to produce a gate which has built in EQ so instead of just attenuating it does things like lowpass for use on big rolling toms- and I've got at least one new compressor not out yet, the vari-mu that is going to replace Pressure. (Pressure users will get a free copy)

That's all still AU. So I'm sorry, would love to be able to please more people but there's a bunch of stuff I've got to take care of in my own back yard before I start even thinking about porting everything over to Mac VST

I do like the fact that Pro Toolers could use Mac VST, but I _hate_ the idea of each plug getting truncated to 24 bit repeatedly. It remains to be seen whether that's a dealbreaker for me after all, if you KNOW you're on Pro Tools you could simply dither every plug to 24 bit on the output. Of course, I don't know if the VST adapters do this already- or if they can run multiple 32-bit clean plugs in series without leaving the floating-point space... anyway, can't be thinking about that right now.
Old 3rd July 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisj View Post
Sure. Remember, even the compressor types are CHARACTER first and compression after- any stock DAW compressor plug will do a better job of compressing cleanly, these produce color and texture.

Hardness is 'cleanest' at full crank. For the compressor types it ties in with threshold, for the character plugs (and Logical) it also sets the point at which the saturation curve goes non-linear. Pull it down and things get dirtier and grungier, but also more upfront and forward. This aspect of it is very similar to what Charles Dye does with Analog Channel- the output goes non-linear at a certain point, and you mix through it.

Personality controls the convolution-like behavior. The whole character the plugin brings goes through this. It defaults to 1, I made almost all the demos at somewhat higher settings tuning it by ear, and you can set it to lower settings to get closer to the source sound. Setting it to 0 disables it, and any character issues (lack of low bass on Neverland etc) will gradually go away as you approach zero.

Drive is basically just how hard you're hitting it. Defaults to 1 which is unity gain. The max says 2 but it's really 2*2 or 4X gain, and I don't think many of these really sound good distorted that hard, but extremely quiet stuff can sometimes be helped with the extra gain. There's no extra distortion that goes with Drive, it's strictly how hard you're hitting the saturation controlled by Hardness, so if Hardness is at full crank and Personality is at 0 then Drive is nothing but a gain control feeding digital clipping

Pretty much anything about these plugs can be either exaggerated or gradually backed down to bit-identical clean-ness. You don't have to exaggerate them unless you want to.
Thanks Chris, that helps - I am looking forward to choosing a few and getting to grips with 'em.
Old 3rd July 2007 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisj View Post
You're kidding! I think Calibre sounds horrible, but it's a wonderful sort of horrible. That one's strictly for my own enjoyment- so I thought
99% of what I do is rock/metal/alternative rock.
50% of those projects have screaming parts
I can see the Calibre on screaming vocals doing a great job...
Sometimes, it's good to be agressive heh
๐Ÿ“ Reply