The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Dark sounding in ear. Need advice:)
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Dark sounding in ear. Need advice:)

Im currently using HD280 as tracking phones but Im looking for some in ears which are easier to carry around.

There are so many options and I want a pair that dont have a lot of treble/are fatiguing.

Anyone have experience with in ears and can recommend some with a darker sound?

Thanks
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I use Audio Technica IM70 with Acoustune AET08 eartips and MEE Audio M7 Pro with Sony Triple Comfort eartips. Not necesarriily 'dark', but these combination works for extended usage for me. Have tried a number of IEMs, I feel it's harder to adapt compared to full sized cans. So far those two works well, but I still prefer my headphones (both for works and comfortabiity)
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

You're basically describing the Shure SE535s that I have.

Amazing midrange, lovely tight bass, and quite warm in the treble. The extension isn't as good as the best in the business but I'd say it's about as good as the HD280s anyway, and the midrange is much better. They're also incredibly comfortable and the most isolating model out there, alongside others like the Westones which use the same type of olive foam tips (another brand you might want to look at).

They're not cheap, but they last forever if you don't manhandle them. The previous model kept breaking at the cable, so they made the cables replaceable, and so whenever they do go (and the cable does eventually brake) you can buy another one, or third-party models.

Their SE215s are way cheaper and although nowhere near as detailed or smooth in the treble, are relatively warm and pleasant sounding. The 315s and 425s are kind of not worth the money.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Awesome, thanks for reply all the suggestions

535 seems to get great reviews might just go for it

Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

The CCA 10 on AliExpress are very good IEM's for tracking and mixing imo. I'll use them in the same manner as my Sennheiser hd600, they provide similar sound, relaxed and detailed, not particularly weak in the treble but I don't find them the slightest ear fatigueing. I also have a pair of hd280 and I know what you mean with fatigue, the CCA 10 is much more balanced and relaxed on the ears imo. Very cheap from AliExpress as well, highly recommend them. They need about 25dB less signal from my headphone amp to provide similar spl as my hd600 which is quite powerhungry, which is huge for how my mixing work has evolved, I don't need to push the levels in the DAW nearly as much while producing/mixing.

Offcourse with the HD280, being 64ohm, the difference in level will be less than the HD600 (300 ohms).

If you have the budget for the 535 you could probably buy almost any of the chinese IEM's, there are quite a few at different price levels if you do a bit of research. I've got a set of ZSN pro and CCA C10, the ZSN pro is even cheaper and still very good, a little sharper in the treble which is not neccessarily a bad thing, just a difference and also deeper in the bass.

Last edited by Osse_87; 1 week ago at 01:58 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
The CCA 10 on AliExpress are very good IEM's for tracking and mixing imo. I'll use them in the same manner as my Sennheiser hd600, they provide similar sound, relaxed and detailed, not particularly weak in the treble but I don't find them the slightest ear fatigueing. I also have a pair of hd280 and I know what you mean with fatigue, the CCA 10 is much more balanced and relaxed on the ears imo. Very cheap from AliExpress as well, highly recommend them. They need about 25dB less signal from my headphone amp to provide similar spl as my hd600 which is quite powerhungry, which is huge for how my mixing work has evolved, I don't need to push the levels in the DAW nearly as much while producing/mixing.
Cool Do you know how many dB they isolate?

Cheers
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmixer04 View Post
Cool Do you know how many dB they isolate?

Cheers
Supposedly 26 dB IIRC. They isolate as expected from an IEM IMO.
Old 1 week ago
You didn't mention price, and this is probably considered high end, but the UE Reference Remastered is great if you don't want any hype whatsoever in the highs, or even in the lows, or the rest of the frequency spectrum for that matter. They are the flattest of any transducer I have ever heard, which is a great recipe for long term non-fatiquing listening. They are custom molded IEMs, of course, which offer other advantages including ultimate comfort and best isolation.

Downside: A little delicate, and the wires can tangle easily, which can be a PITA. They should always be stored in their aluminum case, and getting them in there properly without the case damaging them during closing takes your full attention.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aural Endeavors View Post
You didn't mention price, and this is probably considered high end, but the UE Reference Remastered is great if you don't want any hype whatsoever in the highs, or even in the lows, or the rest of the frequency spectrum for that matter. They are the flattest of any transducer I have ever heard, which is a great recipe for long term non-fatiquing listening. They are custom molded IEMs, of course, which offer other advantages including ultimate comfort and best isolation.

Downside: A little delicate, and the wires can tangle easily, which can be a PITA. They should always be stored in their aluminum case, and getting them in there properly without the case damaging them during closing takes your full attention.
I mean, that's possibly the best in-ear in existence, so technically it does fit the criteria
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistortingJack View Post
I mean, that's possibly the best in-ear in existence, so technically it does fit the criteria
Yeah, but they can also sound quite "boring" at times.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Supposedly 26 dB IIRC. They isolate as expected from an IEM IMO.
Thanks, ok cool

Ordered a pair, and a pair of some other chinese brand called Hidizs EX-01.

I will start with those two first and see how they work

Thanks everyone for your help!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmixer04 View Post
Thanks, ok cool

Ordered a pair, and a pair of some other chinese brand called Hidizs EX-01.

I will start with those two first and see how they work

Thanks everyone for your help!
Ok cool! Please update here when you recieve them with your opinion Hope you'll like them!

They might need a few hours of breaking in

Last edited by Osse_87; 1 week ago at 09:11 AM..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search