The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Small Capsule Vocal Mic for Stage
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Small Capsule Vocal Mic for Stage

Hello,
Im in a band.
It appears to me - so much of a compelling stage performance and connection to audience is lost by an SM58 blocking the mouth / lip movement of the singer.

Especially ruining the possibility of lip reading for hearing impaired audience members.

Is there a small capsule dynamic probe-shape mic that could deliver good vocal capture and also have similar feedback avoidance qualities as a 58?

thanks
Old 2 weeks ago
Have to say that, IME, nobody is staring at the singer's lips. I wouldn't worry about this. And I doubt anyone is lit reading at a concert. Might as well read the lyrics. These are kind of non-issues, IME.

Plus, SM58 is not particularly superior at feedback rejection. About like any other standard cardioid pattern mic. For better rejection, get a hypercardioid.

Anyhoo, the windscreen on a 58 is more important to the quality of the vocal, which is what connects the audience to the performer more than seeing their lips. I like the sound of a 57, but without a foam pop block on it, it pops like crazy on every plosive. That's going to create a disconnect with the audience.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Then you want a SDC. Perhaps the "Bob Barker" mic
SONY-ECM31
Old 2 weeks ago
...or try a headset mic, like a Britney Spears type thing. Leaves the mouth completely visible.
Old 2 weeks ago
Back off the mic a bit - assuming you're not fronting the worlds loudest band (or drummer), you'll sound better, the mic will pop less and you won't have your face blocked by the capsule.

Or you could look like Marianne Faithfull or someone in the 70s singing into a pencil condenser...
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Many sound-savvy video directors want to see the mouth/lips, and ask for the mic to be slightly lowered and tilted up toward the performer. You can't quite get that "eating-a-58" sound that some people truly need, but you can get close.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The SM57 and in particular the Beta 57a are both physically smaller and better vocal mics than the 58. The SM57 might pop a bit more but the Beta won't.

The 58 isn't particularly good at fighting feedback (nor bad, it's just average) and I really, really don't care for the boominess of its proximity effect when people eat it.

As people said, nobody has ever complained at a gig about not being able to see the mouth. But if the stage volume is low, then you can get further away from the mic, especially if they're super or hypercardioids.

With regards to using pencil mics, they sound amazing on vocals but you absolutely need either a strong pop shield or a big foam windscreen, in which case they end up being as visually obstrusive as the Beta 57 I mentioned at the very least.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Earthworks SR314 perhaps. A bit smaller end than the usual ball end SM58 type mic. But it is more pricey, it's a condenser mic which requires phantom power and might be slightly more prone to plosives but it sounds very good.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search