The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Recommendation on Tracking/General Mixing Comp: Elysia Xpressor or Daking FET II
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Recommendation on Tracking/General Mixing Comp: Elysia Xpressor or Daking FET II

Looking for an outboard compressor to do some light compression on a few sources (vocals, acoustic guitar, bass guitar, misc. percussion, no drums) while tracking before going ITB.

The Xpressor and FET II have my most attention. Which of the two would you prefer for tracking? I could also use them routing in and out of my interface if it proved beneficial on some tracks versus plug-ins.

Do you think the money could be better used elsewhere and just record at a lower gain without compression? I have some sources with a wide dynamic range (whisper to loud singing), so I feel I could be more comfortable using some light compression/limiter to shave of a few db and control any unwanted spike while helping to keep me in the sweet spot of recording level for most of the passage.

Thoughts?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

For your described uses, I'd go with the Daking.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I relly like Buzz SOC 1.1 for this - just make sure you don't clip the input (that's the only weakness, but that also applies to cranesong trakker).
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head

Just to close this thread, I ended up getting a good deal on an Xpressor rack. Seems like a good utility compressor. Good set of features/controls and very little tonal change of the source. Should serve my needs fine.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search