The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Thinking of upgrading from KH120's... thought? Geithain RL906, Barefoot Footprint...
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Thinking of upgrading from KH120's... thought? Geithain RL906, Barefoot Footprint...

I've had my KH120's for at least six or seven years now and they've served me very well, especially for a small room like mine, but I'm thinking about upgrading. I do wish the Neumann's could go a bit louder and pack a bit more punch, but I seldom require volumes where I'd really be able to tell... I'm mostly just looking for a change and have some disposable income so what the heck. A couple of options I've considered are the Geithain RL906's and the Barefoot Footprint. Wondering what your guys' thoughts are re: what these might give me over the 120's, if they're worth the $, as well as what other options you might consider? I'm doing some recording, but mostly want them for listening to music and playing my synths through.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokesnob View Post
I've had my KH120's for at least six or seven years now and they've served me very well, especially for a small room like mine, but I'm thinking about upgrading. I do wish the Neumann's could go a bit louder and pack a bit more punch, but I seldom require volumes where I'd really be able to tell... I'm mostly just looking for a change and have some disposable income so what the heck. A couple of options I've considered are the Geithain RL906's and the Barefoot Footprint. Wondering what your guys' thoughts are re: what these might give me over the 120's, if they're worth the $, as well as what other options you might consider? I'm doing some recording, but mostly want them for listening to music and playing my synths through.
Go listen to those 2, some PMCs, ATCs, Amphion and maybe the Dynaudio Lyd range and buy which you like the best. They're all very good and will be an improvement. I've used lots of PMCs and ATCs over the years and find them very much to my taste.

Tony
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambony View Post
Go listen to those 2, some PMCs, ATCs, Amphion and maybe the Dynaudio Lyd range and buy which you like the best. They're all very good and will be an improvement. I've used lots of PMCs and ATCs over the years and find them very much to my taste.

Tony
As if it were that easy! I envy you if you've access to a shop that carries them all anywhere remotely near you... Here, in Canada... sadly not the case... I don't even know if anyone in the entire country owns a set of Geithain's!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I’d suggest you to go and have a listen to some candidates in some shops or even some studios, if you could..

Or eventually find a dealer/distributor that is willing to send you a couple of the candidates, so that you could hear them in YOUR room, which ultimately is the only right way to figure out how that given speaker sound in YOUR room.

Monitors are also a matter of taste..and budget.

That said since your room is small I’d suggest the following:

1. Treat it the best you possibly can (call somebody who’s worth something, aka a good acoustician, let him measure your room and tell you what you have to do, inncase you don’t know).

This might even help to make your kh120 sound better.. or any monitors you’ll ever put in there.
In case your small room is not particularly, if at all, well treated..

In case it is already treated as much as you could...:

These are monitors that I’d consider:

- PMC Result6 (I fear bigger pmc’s fon’t fit your room, these are pretty great sounding monitors in that price range).
- Atc scm25
- KS Digital A200
- maybe even the Genelc 8341 (although I’m not a genelec fan)

Cheu

Last edited by cheu78; 2 weeks ago at 11:45 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

When I bought my KH120’s the best thing I did was to borrow and compare the various monitors I was interested in in my own room.
However, if that’s not an option, what is it you don’t like about the KH120’s? What’s you’re room like??

If you’re unable to audition various other options it may be safer to stick with Neumann as they all share a very similar sound? You could add the new KH750 sub which gives you a serious full range system from 18hz upwards provided you’re in a great mixing room that’s properly treated. Also, the DSP in the KH750 improves the performance of the KH120’s. Alternatively, the KH310’s are great options and would be a better choice if you’re room isn’t great.

I would expect all the other options to be great but I personally wouldn’t be spending that kind of cash without hearing them first! I’ve known a few people who have done this and bought monitors that cost three times the price of what they had originally only to find they weren’t happy with them! With something as important as your monitors you really need to try them first as you’ll be listening to them a lot for a very long time!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
As if it were that easy! I envy you if you've access to a shop that carries them all anywhere remotely near you... Here, in Canada... sadly not the case... I don't even know if anyone in the entire country owns a set of Geithain's!
I'm in London UK so I'm spoilt but it really pays to listen before buying.

Tony

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search