The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Midi Connection Question
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Midi Connection Question

Hello guys easy question, I’ve acquired a couple sound module rack units and samplers and would like to control them through a single keyboard controller.
What are my options here? I can daisy chain them together but I’ve read about latency issues if too many in the chain?? There’s also midi splitter boxes etc??

Curious to hear from you guys and your setups, thanks.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

there are many ways to do it. depends on the synths you are using and if they are being used as multi timbral sound modules.

you can daisy chain if you wish. in to out to in,,,etc, and have more than 1 synth on a lead. its ok.

the limitation generally is that each midi lead can only carry signal for 16 midi channels, which often means 16 different synth sounds (if the module can run 16 channels)

generally its easier to just have one synth on each midi lead, and use a multiple out midi splitter to give you as many outputs as you need.

in the days of Atari STe 520 and 1040, we only had one midi out, so we daisy chained because we had to, and programmed the synths to the appropriate channels.

later we got 3 and 4 and then 8 midi I/O boxes and life got easier.

today i have a USB midi splitter made by Motu. i dont run that much midi anymore. as follows.

Roland JD2080
Korg M1
Ensonic VFX
Kertzweil K2000

Korg SV1. controller and master midi out to the DAW.

all the drum stuff is soft synth now.

thats about it. Buddha

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search