The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
More Neutral Mic Pre: 4-710-d or ISA 428
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
More Neutral Mic Pre: 4-710-d or ISA 428

Hello,

I want to try using a compressor with my Slate VMS mic. (I know that's not the intended setup for using the VMS but I do not have an ultra low latency interface to use a plugin compressor in real-time and I am getting tired of worrying about extra loud peaks from vocalists.)

I have the following gear that I can use and I am wondering the combination you would recommend trying first. I am looking for the most neutral combination as I do not want to take away from the VMS emulations too much.

Compressors: FMR RNC and the Audioscape G Stereo VCA Series compressor.

Preamps: Slate VMS One, Universal Audio 4-710d, and the Focusrite ISA428.

I could run out of the VMS One into the Audioscape compressor and then back into my interface. The 4-710-d and ISA428 have inserts on each channel. I want to keep the signal balanced. Thanks for any suggestions.

Edit 1: It appears that the inputs and outputs on the RNC are unbalanced. The 4-710d can be used with unbalanced 1/4" cables so I guess connecting the RNC into the inserts of the 4-710d is a possibility. Will have to see if any noise is added to the signal.

Last edited by rcprod; 2 weeks ago at 03:17 AM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Going to try a few combinations today before a recording session tomorrow.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
I have decided that the best combo for me is to run the VMS One preamp directly into the Audioscape Comp and then into my RME Fireface UFX.

The other combinations seemed a bit brighter to me compared to the VMS One directly going into the UFX with no compressor.

Maybe someone will get something out of this thread. You never know. Cheers!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search