The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Routing Questions! Soundcraft Ghost LE 24/ Mackie VLZ32
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Routing Questions! Soundcraft Ghost LE 24/ Mackie VLZ32

Hello,

I'm setting up a recording studio in the next month or so. Depending on the budget I'm looking at ordering either a Soundcraft Ghost LE 24 or a Mackie VLZ 32 Channel with a Focusrite Pro 40 /Octopre MK-II soundcard.

I'll be routing XLR inputs from the wall, into the desk. From the input section on the desk to the Soundcard in. My aim to be able to have analogue recording and processing whilst remaining none destructive.

The main problem I've been struggling to visualise is using the input section on each channel and routing it to the soundcard. Will the signal pass through the channel EQ's before it leaves? I want to get the most out of the desks' sound before it enters the soundcard/computer. If not, what is the best way to record using individual channels on an analogue desk that are to be routed individually into a soundcard. I already have a lot of analogue gear and do this process on a smaller scale, however only using the main output form the desk. Would it be possible to achieve what I want with a TRS cable inserted halfway into the inserts in order take the signal post EQ, into the soundcard?

I'll be using the desk for a diverse range of recording such as my own electronic music, dub mixing, full band recording, vocalists etc. If I'm being honest, the only reason I arrived at this choice of desks was from researching what my favourite artists/producers used. It'd be good if any of you could offer opinions or experiences on using these desks and what they're like within these settings?

Many thanks,

C
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confucio View Post
Hello,

I'm setting up a recording studio in the next month or so. Depending on the budget I'm looking at ordering either a Soundcraft Ghost LE 24 or a Mackie VLZ 32 Channel with a Focusrite Pro 40 /Octopre MK-II soundcard.

I'll be routing XLR inputs from the wall, into the desk. From the input section on the desk to the Soundcard in. My aim to be able to have analogue recording and processing whilst remaining none destructive.

The main problem I've been struggling to visualise is using the input section on each channel and routing it to the soundcard. Will the signal pass through the channel EQ's before it leaves? I want to get the most out of the desks' sound before it enters the soundcard/computer. If not, what is the best way to record using individual channels on an analogue desk that are to be routed individually into a soundcard. I already have a lot of analogue gear and do this process on a smaller scale, however only using the main output form the desk. Would it be possible to achieve what I want with a TRS cable inserted halfway into the inserts in order take the signal post EQ, into the soundcard?

I'll be using the desk for a diverse range of recording such as my own electronic music, dub mixing, full band recording, vocalists etc. If I'm being honest, the only reason I arrived at this choice of desks was from researching what my favourite artists/producers used. It'd be good if any of you could offer opinions or experiences on using these desks and what they're like within these settings?

Many thanks,

C
Of the two I would absolutely prefer the Ghost. It has routing options for recording. Direct out on each Input as well as 8 group busses. The Mackie is more of a live sound mixer with limited options for multitrack recordng. In the Ghost both the direct (Tape) outs per channel and Groups Out will be post fader and post EQ. Meaning the EQ will be recorded if engaged.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tymish View Post
Of the two I would absolutely prefer the Ghost. It has routing options for recording. Direct out on each Input as well as 8 group busses. The Mackie is more of a live sound mixer with limited options for multitrack recordng. In the Ghost both the direct (Tape) outs per channel and Groups Out will be post fader and post EQ. Meaning the EQ will be recorded if engaged.
Cheers for this, I currently have a Mackie VLZ 16 and it only has the XLR in and Insert options so I was a bit confused as to what to do with regard live recording.

Will be going for the Ghost!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search