The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Tascam 202 MKii
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Tascam 202 MKii

Hi guys,

I'm currently sat (not literally) on boxes and boxes of old band demos recorded on cassette and i'm looking to digitize these to share with old band members. I've been looking at getting the Tascam 202MKii then using the USB output to record into Audacity, as i'm keen to keep this pretty simple.

The tech specs indicate that it can record at 16bit/441khz, which would be my prefered choice (i can always make mp3s later). Does anyone know how I would change the codec settings in audacity to do this? Or would I set this elsewhere?

Thanks in advance for helping an old rocker relive some youth!

Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

How are you getting from the Tascam to the computer?

I would recommend at least a basic cheap usb interface, if cost is an issue even the Behringer stuff is passable and better than the 1/8" audio input on most computers but something lile the Focusrite Scarlett isn't really very expensive.

There will be settings in the interface virtual controls and in your recording software as well. 16 bit should sound decent but I would recommend archiving with 24 bit because the additional information will be useful if you want to do any digital processing either now or in the future to do noise reduction, eq, or audio compression / limiting.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Thank you for your reply

From looking at the Tascam specs, it appears to have a USB output that can be used to digitize the cassette audio, so it seems you can plug that directly into the computer then record up to 16 bit,48khz via that into audacity.

I’m not adverse to a usb interface but I was just hoping to keep things super simple and this looked like it would be a straightforward solution!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search