The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
6176 vs 2-610 + 1176LN
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

6176 vs 2-610 + 1176LN

Very interested in the 6176 and wondering how it compares to the 610 and an 1176 separately?

I currently have an 1176LN and usually use it just for some light compression on the way in, 4:1, slowest attack fastest release...many 2-5db. Does the 1176 on the 6176 work well for this type of application, or is the separate preamp and comp a better choice?

Thanks!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikoo69 View Post
Very interested in the 6176 and wondering how it compares to the 610 and an 1176 separately?

I currently have an 1176LN and usually use it just for some light compression on the way in, 4:1, slowest attack fastest release...many 2-5db. Does the 1176 on the 6176 work well for this type of application, or is the separate preamp and comp a better choice?

Thanks!
I never shootout the two side by side, so I can’t unfortunately answer your specific question..

But if you are looking for a great (tube preamp) channelstrip and already own an 1176 (which is a nice hw comp to have for a lot of stuff, among others vocals and bass).. I’d check out the Tree Audio Branch MK2.

You can use your 1176 for the “heavy lifting” and use the (slower) optical comp of the Branch as a second compressor..

Cheu
Old 2 weeks ago
I've got all of the above. Since the circuitry layout of a gear is so vital to the sound, it's unreasonable to think that either side is 100% interchangeable with the original boxes. But in practice, I've used them all interchangeably with no ill effects. Same general vibe and functionality all around.

It's not like, "Oh my god, I can't get the same compression vibe from the 6176. I need my 1176!" I can use either one just fine. Other users might be considerably more anal about the differences, noting quantum level minutiae anomalies, which I am sure exist. Not to mention, 1176's can be quite different, one to another. Not so much 610's. But within the context of music and mix, I find them to be, for all intents and purposes, the same.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search