The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sonor Designer, Tama Starclassic Maple or ...?
Old 29th October 2002
Lives for gear

Sonor Designer, Tama Starclassic Maple or ...?

As I previously posted before(to know which Bass Drum size would be better) I am going to buy a drumset for my studio.

I mainly record Metal and Rock bands.

Do you have any experience with this drumsets or do you advise any another one.

Here in Portugal is dificult (not to say impossible) to try drums, that's why I am asking.

Thanks again.
Old 29th October 2002
Gear Maniac

You can't go wrong with a Starclassic Maple kit. I have one in my studio now and I play one on the road. The kick drums are the best part of the kit. Make sure to get a 18"x22". They have the most power. The Starclassic Performer is also a great kit for the money. They are now 100% birch shell and they sound excellent. I personally like the maple kits bettter, but for the $'s the Performers are excellent.

Remember to get a great snare drum or two or ten because that is the most important drum. I hightly recommend the Tama Kenny Aronoff Signature Trackmaster 5x14 snare. It absolutely rocks.

Good luck.
Old 29th October 2002
Gear Maniac

For what it is worth. I go gaga over our DW Custom kit. The toms are always out of this world good. Very nice kit and you see a lot in action with national acts.

2 cents
Old 29th October 2002
Gear Maniac

I think the DW kits sound great also, but for the money, the Tama kits are a much better value. The DW toms have a very nice, round tone to them due to the inner reinforcing ring that is used on most kits. Either way you can't go wrong. When you get into drum kits at this level, they all sound great. It becomes a budget and personal preference issue from this point.
Old 30th October 2002
SawSlut

I have a DW kit in my studio, and I'm quite happy with it. It sounds great, what else can I say? You can't go wrong with the starclassic maples, either. You also might want to try a hi-end kit from Premier: I had a kid bring in this 9 piece behemoth (all maple), with about a billion cymbals, and I just fell in love with the tone.

Anyway, here's a pic of my DW's
Attached Thumbnails
Sonor Designer, Tama Starclassic Maple or ...?-dsc00019.jpg  
Old 30th October 2002
Gear Maniac

Now THAT's what I'm talkin' about. Ours is actually the white oyster shell. I'm curious if your shipped with a closed front head on the kick like ours did.

FWIW, I had tried miking with a closed head for live use and it wasn't working. A great engineer turned me on to a secret. Or maybe it was only a secret to me.

Anyway I took a large coffee can and heated the front open edge up pretty hot on a stove and burned a hole where I wanted it on the DW front head. It worked like a charm and did not split or crack under pressure.

Old 31st October 2002
Gear Guru

The Starclassics are great drums. If I were buying a drum-set right now I'd but a Starclassic Performer. I say this as a way to get to my suggestion of checking out Gretsch drums. I think they are the best sounding shells in the business. The Starclassics are very Gretsch-like IMHO. I would get the Starclassic Performer because I already own a Gretsch set. I've had it for almost twelve years and will NEVER get rid of it. They make me smile every time I play them!
Old 31st October 2002
Lives for gear

I really like vintage Gretsch kits but I prefer vintage Ludwig's. I find Gretsch kicks over 20" to be generally weak and lacking in tone. In comparison most Ludwig kicks explode with a nice full boom and are easier to record. Even toms sound like cannons with minimal efforts.

Guess what vintage kit I own...heh heh heh

(BTW, in the new drums department DW's ARE nice. But god are those modern drum cages UGLY!!! )
Old 31st October 2002
SawSlut

Yes, but when every drummer that comes in has to **** with the setup, drum cages are a godsend.

As for the front head, yes, it shipped with one. I read an interview with Terry Date on how he does drums, and for hi-speed click kick stuff, front heads are a no-no. Guess what kind of music I record
Old 31st October 2002
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by groundcontrol

(BTW, in the new drums department DW's ARE nice. But god are those modern drum cages UGLY!!! )

I will have to agree with you there. I might like a cage in the studio but in public, I like the DW stands and hardware. Yamaha has made some rugged but good looking stuff as well.
Old 1st November 2002
Lives for gear

Thank you all for your answers.

That is indeed a very nice kit OzNimbus.

Keep posting your opinions.
Old 2nd November 2002
I don't think you can go wrong with DW.
For vintage drums I prefer Ludwig over Gretsch.
For one thing the tuning lugs I had in my 70's Gretsch contained springs. These gave off an audible metalic ring everytime you hit the drum. In the end I had to remove all the lugs and fill the springs with cotton wool.
A lot easier to buy a Ludwig.
Old 2nd November 2002
One with big hooves

Now that's a goofy reason to buy one drum over another. It's really not a big deal to take the lugs off, pack them and put them back on. Granted I'm not about to do it in the middle of a session but it's only going to take a few hours to do a 5 piece kit on a day when you have nothing better to do.

Any of the kits mentioned are good. I think DW kits are a bit overpriced for what they are. But they aren't nearly as stupid as Orange County drums which are just insanely overpriced crap. I have a middle of the road Premier kit which gets the job done. I keep new heads on it and maintain the hardware and I haven't had any complaints from people that use it. I think it was about $1000 including the snare and hardware which I didn't buy. As long as you buy decent drums and remove the drummer from the list of variables about 70% of the sound is coming from the heads and tuning. A DW kit with old dented heads is usually gonna sound worse then a Tama Rockstar with fresh heads on top and bottom.

FWIW, lots of people use Gretsch kits in the studio but play Spaun, Tama, DW, Pearl, Fibes, GMS etc. live. Also, for hardware it's pretty tough to beat Pearl or Yamaha.
Old 4th November 2002
SawSlut

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay Kahrs
As long as you buy decent drums and remove the drummer from the list of variables about 70% of the sound is coming from the heads and tuning. A DW kit with old dented heads is usually gonna sound worse then a Tama Rockstar with fresh heads on top and bottom.

[/B]
I'll agree with you to a point, Jay. Old dented heads will sound like absolute ****... no question there. But a nicely aged & "broken in" snare head can be a beautiful thing. However, a Tama Rockstar will sound like crap no matter how good the heads are.... That's my 2 cents anyway.

But, most important of all, 90% of the sound comes from the drummer.

-0z-
Old 5th November 2002
Lives for gear

I contacted a store to ask about DW so they called the DW distributor here in Portugal and they just said that they don't have any kit and it takes a lot of time to get one.

And if I know what they consider a lot of time I can count with +/- 6months/1 year.

That's how it works here in Portugal. madd

I think that the DW is out of question.
Old 5th November 2002
Try Spain or Germany.
You are in Europe so you don't have to pay import duty.
Old 5th November 2002
There is only one

Quote:
Originally posted by OzNimbus

Old dented heads will sound like absolute ****... no question there.
you know whats pretty sad? my old dented remo ambassador heads sound way better than brand spankin new evans G2's on the toms... i need to get some new remos.
Old 5th November 2002
Lives for gear

I use a Fibes kit (no relation) with a 20" kick 10-12-16 with a random floor tom added/replacing the 16 on occasion. The kick is the bomb.
Old 6th November 2002
SawSlut

Quote:
Originally posted by alphajerk

you know whats pretty sad? my old dented remo ambassador heads sound way better than brand spankin new evans G2's on the toms... i need to get some new remos.

Man, you just don't like Evans heads, do you? I usually re-skin my kit every session, so I'll have to get some ambassadors for the toms and try 'em out. I'll let you know how it goes.

-0z-
Old 6th November 2002
There is only one

i love em on the snare and kick. the G2, ST DRY, EQ3... all just KILLER.

whats REALLY sad is the stock tama clear that came on the toms from like 15 years ago sound better than the G2's
Old 16th March 2003
Gear Addict

Hey there! I'm looking at the possibility of getting a studio kit and wondered what you prefer to record... birch or maple. I think most players prefer maple, but how about the recording tone of birch vs. maple?

My drummer friend says almost any brands high-end will make me happy and that all the manufacturers have a nice product as their flagship/top of the line. Is that true in your experience?

The vintage sets look like a lot of fun but they're also likely to show up with funky old hardware that may cause problems with rattles and quick adjustment... Right? or WRONG!!!

Almost nobody seems interested in fiberglass shells... boy do I ever remember when they were the rage.... trend? (or is fiberglass just more naturally suited to watercraft)

Educate me guys... I'm in your hands!!

P.S. budget is under $2000 US (used) for 4 piece kit plus snare, hardware, hat, crash and ride. Can this be done?
Old 16th March 2003
Lives for gear

I have a high end kit in my studio, a rediculous 8 piece Pearl MMX that was formerly used by Dennis Chambers. Since I got the thing for 2800, I had to jump on it and I got to say that it's awesome in terms of versatility and tone, but that if I could have any kit in the world it might not be my first. Here's what I am gassing for these days:

1) GMS <--- these ****ing rock and are made like 20 minutes from me. Great live or in the studio.
2) Sonor <--- freaking awesome drums for hard rock and metal
3) Tama's latest Star Classic limited w/ Koa
4) Gretsch

Gretsch really does totally rock. Very underrated, but absolutely awesome sounding. And, btw, Lars uses them ;-) I'd say Tama is the way to go though, for real heavy sounding stuff.
Old 17th March 2003
Gear Addict

BattleAngel, Koa is a nice acoustic guitar wood so I guess it makes sense that it would make a nice sounding shell. Most/all of the other kits you refer to are maple?

I've got a line on an 80's era Tama Granstar shell set pretty cheap. Any opinions? They were the mid range, best birch kit of their era. At the price they're selling for I could get a nicer snare than I originally thought I could afford.
Old 17th March 2003
Lives for gear

Right, the other kits are maple. I really like the GMS line a lot. I think you should be able to definitely stay within your price range given the number of shells you want. THey're great looking kits with absolutely top of the hill construction aand tone. The SE series is great.
Old 17th March 2003
Gear Addict

Thanks, I'll take a look at the SE's.
Old 17th March 2003
Lives for gear

Can't believe i'm the only guy whos gaga over ayotte. absolutely spank my dw and yamaha rec custom kits for rock!
Old 18th March 2003
Gear Addict

tell me more!
Old 18th March 2003
Lives for gear

Oh hell yes, Ayotte drums are super sweet. They sound like a vintage drum without any of the pitfalls associated with it, more like the perfect modern kit that's been played in for years. I'd definitely like to have some ayotte kit stuff around my place, but to my ear, they wouldn't be great for really heavy stuff which I think we were talking about originally. I know Mudvayne's dude used them at one point but I don't respect them, tonally.
Old 18th March 2003
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by OzNimbus

Anyway, here's a pic of my DW's
What are the sizes of your drums? The toms look absolutely huge! Either that or the kick is tiny...
Old 18th March 2003
Lives for gear

I have a Tama Starclassic and it is great, good technical design.
The sound is great and the kick is very gooooood.

I like the DW kicks but I think the toms suck.

The Sonor Designer is great on kick and snares , but a lot of people don't like the toms.
BTW Designer sets are heavy as mother in law!
The new Sonor Delite is great to and the toms now sound different to the older Sonors.

I wouldn't go for a Pearl, but if you go for it get Optimount not the I.S.S.!

Ayotte is very nice, too.

You have to think of the size and depht too!

Rule of thumb:
-short: quick build up, sensetiv, full tone
-large: punchy lowend, less tone, not that sensitive (but you don't do Jazz, do you?)

What kind of snare sound you need?
I like 13x5 it is very versatile. It could do the piccolo cut and tuned low its realy fat. A 14x6 is not that muche versatile.
14x5 would be my other snare.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search