The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sonor Designer, Tama Starclassic Maple or ...?
Old 18th March 2003
Lives for gear

Two other companies to consider:

Mapex and Yamaha. Both of them produce fantastic drums in every range. From Mapex, the orion classics and the new forest line or whatever it's called both impressed me a lot. My old drummer used to have an Orion Classics and that was an absolutely terrific kit- to hear a recording of one very similar to it, listen to Dream Theater's "Awake."

The Yamaha beech custom is an absolutely great value and I know people who have done absolutely sick metal recordings with that kit. The upper range of their stuff is also great and a lot of my favorite drummers (akira, dave weckl) use their stuff. Carter Beauford from DMB also uses their birch drums.
Old 18th March 2003
Gear Addict

I ended up getting a pretty good deal on a set of Yamaha Birch Classic Absolutes. They sound pretty sweet in the shop but the truth will come when I record them in my crappy little tracking room...

Thanks for all the input!
Old 8th July 2009
Here for the gear

hey, i play tama starclassic maples cause i think there the best but i'm wondering what remo skins to put on the toms? i was thinking maybe pinstripes but anyone got better ideas?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search