The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Buying High-end Professional studio monitors - Going MAD.
Old 1st February 2020
  #1
Here for the gear
 

Buying High-end Professional studio monitors - Going MAD.

Hello Everyone! My first post here, I think this is the right place, but please move it if it doesn't.

I want advice, please, about buying a 5.1 system. I do sound post-production for tv film and dubbing. Now I have two Mackies mr8 MKII, and two M-audio Bx5a, and a mackie mr10s subwoofer; I'm treating my new control room to be OK acoustically. The size of the room is about 3mx3mx2.7m (9.8ft x 9.8ft x 8.8ft)

My options right now are very diverse and I'm going mad about making a decision. My budget is not unlimited, but I want to get the right monitoring system. I had read a lot, but nothing about what I'm looking for. I can't try almost nothing in my country, very few places to do and almost impossible to A/B different brands or kinds.

My main goals for my new system are:
- Low dynamic compression
- Deepness in the sound field (I don't know the right word to describe it, something like dynamic range or 3D of the sound)
- I want to be able to use a compressor and hear the compression well.
- Flat freq. response.

My options are:
- JBL 305p MKII (Good price)
- Yamaha HS5/HS7
- Yamaha MSP 5/MSP 7
- Genelec 8010a
- Genelec 8320a SAM (I think they are incredible sounding)

I'd heard the JBL, just one monitor in a very bad situation in a showroom with open doors and a lot of noise, but I liked it, I felt it a bit flat in terms of deepness and a bit overhyped in the mids. I would love to hear it a bit more 3D.

The Genelec systems are great, but to get them I'll have to spend money I don't have, if they are the only ones that meets my requirements I think I'll try to get them.

Yamahas MSP seems to be good, but the MSP7 are more expensive for me than the 8320 system, so I don't think they are an option.

I'd heard one Yamaha HS5, but again not in the best situation, in a showroom closed but with a smartphone output. I heard that at high levels the sounds seems to be a bit overcompressed or clipped (maybe produced by a poor input signal), and at least for me very flat in terms of soundfield. It seems like the HS7 are very good for the money, but I couldn't try them yet.

Sorry for the long post, and wish you can help me with this. I'm looking to step up my equipment and offer higher quality and even more professional work to my clients.
Old 1st February 2020
  #2
Choosing monitors is a maddening process, we all have been there. My suggestion is to get the best ones you can afford. With your choices listed, I would save for the Genelecs.
Old 1st February 2020
  #3
Gear Maniac
 

What's your budget, room dimension, conversion chain and genre mixed?
Old 1st February 2020
  #4
The perfect speaker doesn't exist, and if it did, you'd have to listen to it in the perfect room....which also doesn't exist. BUT If you had those 2 things in your studio, no one listening to your mixes will have the exact setup/room you have.

What a studio monitor sounds like in the store doesn't matter much.

The only thing that matters is how your mixes sound in the wild.....car speakers, bluetooth speakers, earbuds, phone speakers, tv speakers, beats...etc... That is called "translation".

Every speaker you mentioned are good. Pick a set that inspires mix ideas. Learn those speakers. Learning speakers can take a while. It takes me about 6 months to "learn" a set of speakers. Understand those speakers aren't perfect and don't panic if your mix sounds weird on earbuds or in the car.... that's normal, just make notes, and fix the weird things and move on. You'll learn how to avoid the weird things.

At some point, you'll get bored with those speakers...get another set and repeat. When you old like me (46) and have mixed for 25 years, you'll have pile of a dozen or so sets of speakers. It's nice to check mixes on multiple sets of speakers that you have experience with and be somewhat confident that the mix your delivering will TRANSLATE well in the wild.

This is MY philosophy as of 2020 and is subject to change.

Good luck!
Old 1st February 2020
  #5
Lives for gear
 
cheu78's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by matiasca View Post
Hello Everyone! My first post here, I think this is the right place, but please move it if it doesn't.

I want advice, please, about buying a 5.1 system. I do sound post-production for tv film and dubbing. Now I have two Mackies mr8 MKII, and two M-audio Bx5a, and a mackie mr10s subwoofer; I'm treating my new control room to be OK acoustically. The size of the room is about 3mx3mx2.7m (9.8ft x 9.8ft x 8.8ft)

My options right now are very diverse and I'm going mad about making a decision. My budget is not unlimited, but I want to get the right monitoring system. I had read a lot, but nothing about what I'm looking for. I can't try almost nothing in my country, very few places to do and almost impossible to A/B different brands or kinds.

My main goals for my new system are:
- Low dynamic compression
- Deepness in the sound field (I don't know the right word to describe it, something like dynamic range or 3D of the sound)
- I want to be able to use a compressor and hear the compression well.
- Flat freq. response.

My options are:
- JBL 305p MKII (Good price)
- Yamaha HS5/HS7
- Yamaha MSP 5/MSP 7
- Genelec 8010a
- Genelec 8320a SAM (I think they are incredible sounding)

I'd heard the JBL, just one monitor in a very bad situation in a showroom with open doors and a lot of noise, but I liked it, I felt it a bit flat in terms of deepness and a bit overhyped in the mids. I would love to hear it a bit more 3D.

The Genelec systems are great, but to get them I'll have to spend money I don't have, if they are the only ones that meets my requirements I think I'll try to get them.

Yamahas MSP seems to be good, but the MSP7 are more expensive for me than the 8320 system, so I don't think they are an option.

I'd heard one Yamaha HS5, but again not in the best situation, in a showroom closed but with a smartphone output. I heard that at high levels the sounds seems to be a bit overcompressed or clipped (maybe produced by a poor input signal), and at least for me very flat in terms of soundfield. It seems like the HS7 are very good for the money, but I couldn't try them yet.

Sorry for the long post, and wish you can help me with this. I'm looking to step up my equipment and offer higher quality and even more professional work to my clients.
Dear Matiasca,
The ones you listed are not anywhere near hiend monitors unfortunately..

In any case I’d suggest you to treat your room the BEST you physically/possibly/reasonably can.
This will have a bigger impact than any of the monitors you listed above.
What you’ll hear when mixing is always a combination between the ROOM and the monitors (even more since there will be a sub in there too).

While in a perfect world you might want to use 5 monitors that are the same (plus a sub).. you might invest more in your 3 front speakers LCR and get some smaller, less expensive speaker for the rear channels.

These might be outside your budget, but fit exactly your description and there will be no guessing work..
buy once but good.

PMC Result6 (for the LCR).
get whatever you can that is reasonably clean for the rear and a sub that you can integrate well in a 5.1 setup.

Or if you really can’t go with the pmc’s, check out the KS Digital C5 Reference, they’re not the same, but they’re very good speakers. (Or also some neumann options like the kh120 With the 80 as rears).

I fear that in 2-3 years time you’ll find yourself in a corner with your choices and will need to upgrade to something better.. therefore you’ll end up spending much more money in the end (while struggling to get the results you need in the process).

I hope this helps,



Cheu
Old 2nd February 2020 | Show parent
  #6
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Bucci View Post
Choosing monitors is a maddening process, we all have been there. My suggestion is to get the best ones you can afford. With your choices listed, I would save for the Genelecs.
I was thinking about doing that, but genelecs 4010a/8010a will do the job in this case, but genelec people is telling me get the 8320, cause you can fine tune in a breeze with GLM wich is true, and maybe some hype to sell the studio services, I don’t mind the hype but maybe in some cases added to my personal taste and work will be useful. But there is a LOT of money more for me, in my country they cost twice as the US price and that you have to multiply by 63, then add 21% and then you have your price, so extremely expensive, and that difference is a lot.
Old 2nd February 2020 | Show parent
  #7
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgilroy View Post
What's your budget, room dimension, conversion chain and genre mixed?
Budget first was for the JbLs then I change it to genelecs 4010, and now I’m trying to get some cash from anyone to get the 8320+7350+GLM, but for sure I have just 1000 for the JbLs 305p mkII. My room is very small 3mts x 3mts x 2,9mts. I do re recording mixing, some sound design for tv/films, and some post for tv/film.
Old 2nd February 2020 | Show parent
  #8
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearwave View Post
The perfect speaker doesn't exist, and if it did, you'd have to listen to it in the perfect room....which also doesn't exist. BUT If you had those 2 things in your studio, no one listening to your mixes will have the exact setup/room you have.

What a studio monitor sounds like in the store doesn't matter much.

The only thing that matters is how your mixes sound in the wild.....car speakers, bluetooth speakers, earbuds, phone speakers, tv speakers, beats...etc... That is called "translation".

Every speaker you mentioned are good. Pick a set that inspires mix ideas. Learn those speakers. Learning speakers can take a while. It takes me about 6 months to "learn" a set of speakers. Understand those speakers aren't perfect and don't panic if your mix sounds weird on earbuds or in the car.... that's normal, just make notes, and fix the weird things and move on. You'll learn how to avoid the weird things.

At some point, you'll get bored with those speakers...get another set and repeat. When you old like me (46) and have mixed for 25 years, you'll have pile of a dozen or so sets of speakers. It's nice to check mixes on multiple sets of speakers that you have experience with and be somewhat confident that the mix your delivering will TRANSLATE well in the wild.

This is MY philosophy as of 2020 and is subject to change.

Good luck!
Thanks for the imput, I had read that a lot and in my experience it is like that too, it just that now it’s time to buy a new set and step up for “serious” 5.1 mixing ideas, so I was dreaming a full set, but I think and feel the soundscape or deepness or 3d is something I’m missing right now. I would love to be able to compress the vo well and set something deep in the background and feel confident about that is what I thought. I was looking at genelec because of this. But Jbls allow me to have better acoustics in the room, in less time. Here everything is extremely expensive and if the economy was other I would go with 8320s without a blink. But I don’t know is the effort of my money would translate in the better monitor I get.

Anyone has A/B them and felt like there’s no such a difference in that scenario?

Thanks!
Old 2nd February 2020 | Show parent
  #9
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheu78 View Post
Dear Matiasca,
The ones you listed are not anywhere near hiend monitors unfortunately..

In any case I’d suggest you to treat your room the BEST you physically/possibly/reasonably can.
This will have a bigger impact than any of the monitors you listed above.
What you’ll hear when mixing is always a combination between the ROOM and the monitors (even more since there will be a sub in there too).

While in a perfect world you might want to use 5 monitors that are the same (plus a sub).. you might invest more in your 3 front speakers LCR and get some smaller, less expensive speaker for the rear channels.

These might be outside your budget, but fit exactly your description and there will be no guessing work..
buy once but good.

PMC Result6 (for the LCR).
get whatever you can that is reasonably clean for the rear and a sub that you can integrate well in a 5.1 setup.

Or if you really can’t go with the pmc’s, check out the KS Digital C5 Reference, they’re not the same, but they’re very good speakers. (Or also some neumann options like the kh120 With the 80 as rears).

I fear that in 2-3 years time you’ll find yourself in a corner with your choices and will need to upgrade to something better.. therefore you’ll end up spending much more money in the end (while struggling to get the results you need in the process).

I hope this helps,



Cheu
Very detailed and excellent explanation.

Sadly I can’t even get the PMCs in my country not even used.

I think overall the Genelecs 4010a would be the best right know for a few years. But JbL offers very very affordable price and a nice (not as good as Genelec) quality.

Very appreciated your excellent explanation. I will have the opportunity to get better high end monitoring with time an more money.

I’m doing a very hard work at acoustics with my room, I know it’s very important.

Between the JBLs 305mk2 and gnelecs 4010/8010 what would you get?
Old 2nd February 2020 | Show parent
  #10
Lives for gear
 
cheu78's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by matiasca View Post
Very detailed and excellent explanation.

Sadly I can’t even get the PMCs in my country not even used.

I think overall the Genelecs 4010a would be the best right know for a few years. But JbL offers very very affordable price and a nice (not as good as Genelec) quality.

Very appreciated your excellent explanation. I will have the opportunity to get better high end monitoring with time an more money.

I’m doing a very hard work at acoustics with my room, I know it’s very important.

Between the JBLs 305mk2 and gnelecs 4010/8010 what would you get?
Where are you from?

Anyway..
Invest in the treatment, measure the room (or hire a decent acoustician to do it).. that should be your priority.. then put the “best” loudspeakers that you could afford.

The glm system could be beneficial to “fix” some of the acoustic issues that will be left.. I’d not rely on the software alone though, the room has to be as good as possible, the software can’t do everything.

If you’re going for a non genelec speaker there’s sonarworks that you can use

Let’s start saying that I’m not a big genelec fan (although I do think that their 8331,8341 and 8351 are some of the best I’ve heard from genelec.. they’re the coaxial 3 way speakers).

With that out of the way I’d say that when I heard the 8010 was on a messe floor, and honestly was quite impressed by that small box.. but I didn’t mix on it.. so I can’t really comment.

I’ve heard (and shortly) used a pair of jbl 305 MK1, which I think that for the price they’re incredible.. never heard the mk2, but I’m pretty sure they might be even better..

I do think that especially in the lowend/low-mids they’re not so “natural” sounding..They’re nice to listen, if anything a little bit to “thick” in the lowmids.
I could kinda hear the “dsp effect” after a while (i call it dsp effect, but maybe it’s the speaker.. it’s nothing wrong, it’s just a less “natural” kinda tone.. so hard to describe these impressions..).
But overall the jbl was a terrific loudspeaker for the money. Well made (again for the money involved, which is next to nothing).

I’ve heard more expensive speakers perform much worse than these imho at least..

I wouldn’t base your decision on my review or impressions though..

IF the genelecs makes more sense FINANCIALLY speaking (to market your place above others or getting more clients), get them. (if the costs are somewhat reasonable).
Although I’m not sure the clients gives a damn about the brands of monitors.. (even less so today..but maybe it’s different in your country or city).

Try to get the best monitors you could afford, without going into debt.

IF you could try to hear them somewhere or at least to speak to somebody who’s working with them, I’m not working with them, I heard them and used for a couple of sessions the 305 mk1, which was a nice surprise. (knowing the price).

In the studio I had before I was using ATC’s (which I still have and use), and used the big pmc’s (and Neumann) in other rooms..

there’s no going back from these imho. But you also need the room to accomodate them (and at best soffit mount them).

Anyway I was thinking that you might find a 5.1 setup used like the B&W 805 Nautilus with some nice 5.1 amps to go with them..
these are more hifi speakers, but they’re quite good for mixing, believe it or not..
you could always use sonarworks for the last corrections.

I hope this helps somehow..

Good luck!



Cheu
Old 2nd February 2020 | Show parent
  #11
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheu78 View Post
Where are you from?

I’ve heard (and shortly) used a pair of jbl 305 MK1, which I think that for the price they’re incredible.. never heard the mk2, but I’m pretty sure they might be even better..

Cheu
Got a pair of 305mk2 as my desktop speakers in a nearfield setup and I honestly believe they are a steal.

You can find them for €100.- a piece and there is nothing under 300.- per piece that comes close to the quality you get from these JBLs. They translate well and together with a sub should be a fine 5.1 system.

I tried the JBL LSS 306s too and I actually prefer them over the 305s. They just weren't available when I got the speakers.
Old 2nd February 2020
  #12
You get what you pay for here IMO. Spend more or save more.
Old 2nd February 2020 | Show parent
  #13
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheu78 View Post
Where are you from?

Anyway..
Invest in the treatment, measure the room (or hire a decent acoustician to do it).. that should be your priority.. then put the “best” loudspeakers that you could afford.

The glm system could be beneficial to “fix” some of the acoustic issues that will be left.. I’d not rely on the software alone though, the room has to be as good as possible, the software can’t do everything.

If you’re going for a non genelec speaker there’s sonarworks that you can use

Let’s start saying that I’m not a big genelec fan (although I do think that their 8331,8341 and 8351 are some of the best I’ve heard from genelec.. they’re the coaxial 3 way speakers).

With that out of the way I’d say that when I heard the 8010 was on a messe floor, and honestly was quite impressed by that small box.. but I didn’t mix on it.. so I can’t really comment.

I’ve heard (and shortly) used a pair of jbl 305 MK1, which I think that for the price they’re incredible.. never heard the mk2, but I’m pretty sure they might be even better..

I do think that especially in the lowend/low-mids they’re not so “natural” sounding..They’re nice to listen, if anything a little bit to “thick” in the lowmids.
I could kinda hear the “dsp effect” after a while (i call it dsp effect, but maybe it’s the speaker.. it’s nothing wrong, it’s just a less “natural” kinda tone.. so hard to describe these impressions..).
But overall the jbl was a terrific loudspeaker for the money. Well made (again for the money involved, which is next to nothing).

I’ve heard more expensive speakers perform much worse than these imho at least..

I wouldn’t base your decision on my review or impressions though..

IF the genelecs makes more sense FINANCIALLY speaking (to market your place above others or getting more clients), get them. (if the costs are somewhat reasonable).
Although I’m not sure the clients gives a damn about the brands of monitors.. (even less so today..but maybe it’s different in your country or city).

Try to get the best monitors you could afford, without going into debt.

IF you could try to hear them somewhere or at least to speak to somebody who’s working with them, I’m not working with them, I heard them and used for a couple of sessions the 305 mk1, which was a nice surprise. (knowing the price).

In the studio I had before I was using ATC’s (which I still have and use), and used the big pmc’s (and Neumann) in other rooms..

there’s no going back from these imho. But you also need the room to accomodate them (and at best soffit mount them).

Anyway I was thinking that you might find a 5.1 setup used like the B&W 805 Nautilus with some nice 5.1 amps to go with them..
these are more hifi speakers, but they’re quite good for mixing, believe it or not..
you could always use sonarworks for the last corrections.

I hope this helps somehow..

Good luck!



Cheu
Hi Howdy, you're being very very helpful, thank you very much.

I'd read a lot of good things about JBLs and the mkII seems to be a tad better in terms of amp hiss, and based on the sound samples and the freq response diagrams a bit more neutral in the mids.

I'm from Argentina, everything here comes at twice the price, and you can't try almost anything anywhere, so It's very hard to compare models.

The prices here are:

JBL lsr305p mkII: U$ 285.55 (each) => u$1428 (5 units)
Genelec 4010a: U$460 (each) => U$ 2302 (5 units)
Genelec 8010a: u$586 (each) => U$ 2929 (5 units)
Genelec 8020c/d: U$793 (each) => U$ 3968 (5 units)
Genelec 8320a: U$1111 (each) => U$ 5555 (5 units)
Yamaha HS7: U$437 (each) => U$ 2182 (5 units)
Yamaha MSP5: U$572 (each) => U$ 2857 (5 units)

I can get the Genelecs 8320+7350+GLM by U$ 6700 aprox. A lot lot lot of money for me, but I can go into a debt if they really really worth the effort.

I liked the Yamahas MSP but they are so close to genelecs and I don't think they worth the money.

In terms of money, the JBLs seems to steal the game over Yamahas, but, I'm pretty lost about getting them or invest the double on Gelenecs 4010/8010 or way more in the 8320's system.

Thank you very much for all your imput!
Old 2nd February 2020 | Show parent
  #14
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by donato View Post
You get what you pay for here IMO. Spend more or save more.
Yes, maybe you do, but not every time in this price tag you'll get the best you can get when you spend more, just look at the JBLs, everyone is saying that they are way better than what they cost, so, not sure about your statement, at least just in this case.

I'm trying to find what should be better for my purposes, with my requirements, and with my budget. With your statement I would say go with PMCs, but I thats impossible to me, no way I can do it.

I'm asking about the experience of more experienced professionals, who want to share what they know, not for financial advice.

Thanks anyway.
Old 2nd February 2020 | Show parent
  #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by matiasca View Post
Yes, maybe you do, but not every time in this price tag you'll get the best you can get when you spend more, just look at the JBLs, everyone is saying that they are way better than what they cost, so, not sure about your statement, at least just in this case.

I'm trying to find what should be better for my purposes, with my requirements, and with my budget. With your statement I would say go with PMCs, but I thats impossible to me, no way I can do it.

I'm asking about the experience of more experienced professionals, who want to share what they know, not for financial advice.

Thanks anyway.
I had the JBL's for years (305mk1, which from the reviews are pretty much the same as the mk2). They never quite translated correctly to other systems. I was always fighting them because there just isn't enough detail there. If you have to have monitors now, then go ahead and buy them. But you're going to want to upgrade them as soon as you can.

I wasted a lot of time on them when I should've spent more money on better monitors. The JBL's sound pretty good for the money for listening to music, but for mixing I'd recommend spending the majority of your budget on better monitors. Spending more $$$ on monitors was the best thing I ever did, I just wish I did it sooner.

Also I'm not the guy that said to buy PMC's. You're getting your replies wrong.
Old 2nd February 2020 | Show parent
  #16
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by donato View Post
I had the JBL's for years (305mk1, which from the reviews are pretty much the same as the mk2). They never quite translated correctly to other systems. I was always fighting them because there just isn't enough detail there. If you have to have monitors now, then go ahead and buy them. But you're going to want to upgrade them as soon as you can.

I wasted a lot of time on them when I should've spent more money on better monitors. The JBL's sound pretty good for the money for listening to music, but for mixing I'd recommend spending the majority of your budget on better monitors. Spending more $$$ on monitors was the best thing I ever did, I just wish I did it sooner.

Also I'm not the guy that said to buy PMC's. You're getting your replies wrong.
That's interesting, thanks, right now I'm not looking for translation as my main goal from monitor, I'm looking at how they respond to soundscape, deepness and 3D representation, how did you felt with JBLs about that?
I would love to have something better than my Mackies mr8 mkII to hear better when I'm compressing voice overs, or using compression on some sound elements. Your experience is good, have you tried the Yamahas HS5? What are you using now?

I know you're not the one who recommend me the PMCs, I was just telling in terms of financial aspect, pay more get better that would be the best option. Sorry if that sounds bad, I didn't want to be rude.

So should you go with Genelecs 4010/8010 instead JBLs 305p?

I really appreciate everyone's help.
Old 2nd February 2020
  #17
Lives for gear
 
Crazy4Jazz's Avatar
 

I'm not an advocate of the need for high end monitors. They are nice to have. Everyone wants nice things. Too much emphasis is placed on "translation". No mix will sound the same on all monitors. But good mixes can be made on any of the monitors you mentioned. Proof of that is the fact that if you play a commercial mix on any of those monitors, it will sound like a well mixed commercial track. Blaming the monitors for not being able to achieve a good mix is no different than blaming the instrument because you can't play it well.

I wouldn't obsess over which monitors. I would get what I like and can afford and get busy learning how to work with them. Play commercial recordings you like through them and then try to meet or exceed those mixes.

More gear and more expensive gear is not the answer. Countless great recordings have been made on monitors that don't meet audiophile expectations.
Old 2nd February 2020 | Show parent
  #18
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Jazz View Post
I'm not an advocate of the need for high end monitors. They are nice to have. Everyone wants nice things. Too much emphasis is placed on "translation". No mix will sound the same on all monitors. But good mixes can be made on any of the monitors you mentioned. Proof of that is the fact that if you play a commercial mix on any of those monitors, it will sound like a well mixed commercial track. Blaming the monitors for not being able to achieve a good mix is no different than blaming the instrument because you can't play it well.

I wouldn't obsess over which monitors. I would get what I like and can afford and get busy learning how to work with them. Play commercial recordings you like through them and then try to meet or exceed those mixes.

More gear and more expensive gear is not the answer. Countless great recordings have been made on monitors that don't meet audiophile expectations.
I don't want the best of the best, I have to spend money in something better than I got, and I want to buy something that will last at least a few years, I'm not working for Hollywood right now, so I don't making money to get the best.

In this youtube video https://youtu.be/bcYhKrm-z3M Even with headphones you can hear the difference in the deepness between the 305 and 8010a, and the more fuller sound, I don't know if that will be the same sound perception live as it does on the video, but I can hear like the sound is fuller, and seems to me like the monitor is representing better what is made in the reference track. But, this was made compared to a reference track, so, the track is meant to be like that, I'm looking for something that makes me feel I can trust what I'm hearing and creating, not to be a good representation of something else. It seems like the 8010s would be more useful in trusting my ears, but not sure because I couldn't try them. It's very hard to try to explain even what I'm looking for, but I feel like the best word is deepness. The better I can get with my very limited budget.

Thanks!
Old 2nd February 2020 | Show parent
  #19
Lives for gear
 
cheu78's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgilroy View Post
Got a pair of 305mk2 as my desktop speakers in a nearfield setup and I honestly believe they are a steal.

You can find them for €100.- a piece and there is nothing under 300.- per piece that comes close to the quality you get from these JBLs. They translate well and together with a sub should be a fine 5.1 system.

I tried the JBL LSS 306s too and I actually prefer them over the 305s. They just weren't available when I got the speakers.
I totally agree with this.. they’re a steal at that price and nothing comes close at that price..
You have to spend about 4-5 times as much to get something that is discernibly “better”.



Cheu
Old 2nd February 2020
  #20
Lives for gear
 
DougS's Avatar
 

As my main monitor setup I have the far more expensive 8341s+7360 sub, but I own three pair of the 8010a's in three different rooms. They are very good for their cost and size. Hard to beat at this price point.

The 8320A with SAM will be a good step up just because you have SAM. I think this is the most affordable SAM option - a good choice. SAM it great for 5.1 systems.

Someone mentioned the PMC Result 6. I've only heard them at a demo at NAMM a couple years ago - but they were impressive.

I have no experience with the others in your list.

I would go for the 8320A with SAM.
Old 2nd February 2020 | Show parent
  #21
Lives for gear
 
cheu78's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by matiasca View Post
Hi Howdy, you're being very very helpful, thank you very much.

I'd read a lot of good things about JBLs and the mkII seems to be a tad better in terms of amp hiss, and based on the sound samples and the freq response diagrams a bit more neutral in the mids.

I'm from Argentina, everything here comes at twice the price, and you can't try almost anything anywhere, so It's very hard to compare models.

The prices here are:

JBL lsr305p mkII: U$ 285.55 (each) => u$1428 (5 units)
Genelec 4010a: U$460 (each) => U$ 2302 (5 units)
Genelec 8010a: u$586 (each) => U$ 2929 (5 units)
Genelec 8020c/d: U$793 (each) => U$ 3968 (5 units)
Genelec 8320a: U$1111 (each) => U$ 5555 (5 units)
Yamaha HS7: U$437 (each) => U$ 2182 (5 units)
Yamaha MSP5: U$572 (each) => U$ 2857 (5 units)

I can get the Genelecs 8320+7350+GLM by U$ 6700 aprox. A lot lot lot of money for me, but I can go into a debt if they really really worth the effort.

I liked the Yamahas MSP but they are so close to genelecs and I don't think they worth the money.

In terms of money, the JBLs seems to steal the game over Yamahas, but, I'm pretty lost about getting them or invest the double on Gelenecs 4010/8010 or way more in the 8320's system.

Thank you very much for all your imput!
Don’t go into debt, for no matter how good a loudspeaker could be.

I’d not spend 5k on gennies anyway.. (but I’m not a genelec fan).
Invest a part of that money towards your room, it will be better spent over the years.

I guess you already read this, fwiw the guy (which we don’t know nothing about) decided for the jbl’s:
Yamaha HS7 vs. JBL 305 - Really Need Your Advice on These Two



Cheu
Old 2nd February 2020
  #22
Neumann KH120a are a good alternative
Old 2nd February 2020 | Show parent
  #23
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheu78 View Post
I totally agree with this.. they’re a steal at that price and nothing comes close at that price..
You have to spend about 4-5 times as much to get something that is discernibly “better”.



Cheu
I'm just about to definitely decide about them. You'd been very helpful, many many thanks.
Old 2nd February 2020 | Show parent
  #24
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pencilextremist View Post
Neumann KH120a are a good alternative
Thanks but far away from my budget. I'd checked Neumann KH80, but still more expensive than the 8320.
Old 3rd February 2020
  #25
Gear Maniac
 

Don't go into debt, spend wisely and rather invest money in room treatment than into speakers you haven't heard and can't check in your room. Speakers come and go, room treatment stays.

Buy cheap and buy wisely. You can always upgrade. Learn with what you got and there may be surprising findings. Sometimes cheaper gear yields better results. Look at those Yamaha NS10s that ruled studios for over a decade. Those were rather cheap speakers and surpassed in quality by many offerings on the market. Yet they allowed for superior translation and became the de-facto standard.

Don't let reviews and videos fool you. Monitor preferences are highly idiosyncratic and depend on a lot of variables: room, genre, listening experience, source gear etc. You have to hear yourself, there is no substitute.
Old 3rd February 2020
  #26
buy cheap buy twice!
Old 3rd February 2020
  #27
Deleted 10089a2
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by matiasca View Post
Hello Everyone! My first post here, I think this is the right place, but please move it if it doesn't.

I want advice, please, about buying a 5.1 system. I do sound post-production for tv film and dubbing. Now I have two Mackies mr8 MKII, and two M-audio Bx5a, and a mackie mr10s subwoofer; I'm treating my new control room to be OK acoustically. The size of the room is about 3mx3mx2.7m (9.8ft x 9.8ft x 8.8ft)

My options right now are very diverse and I'm going mad about making a decision. My budget is not unlimited, but I want to get the right monitoring system. I had read a lot, but nothing about what I'm looking for. I can't try almost nothing in my country, very few places to do and almost impossible to A/B different brands or kinds.

My main goals for my new system are:
- Low dynamic compression
- Deepness in the sound field (I don't know the right word to describe it, something like dynamic range or 3D of the sound)
- I want to be able to use a compressor and hear the compression well.
- Flat freq. response.

My options are:
- JBL 305p MKII (Good price)
- Yamaha HS5/HS7
- Yamaha MSP 5/MSP 7
- Genelec 8010a
- Genelec 8320a SAM (I think they are incredible sounding)

I'd heard the JBL, just one monitor in a very bad situation in a showroom with open doors and a lot of noise, but I liked it, I felt it a bit flat in terms of deepness and a bit overhyped in the mids. I would love to hear it a bit more 3D.

The Genelec systems are great, but to get them I'll have to spend money I don't have, if they are the only ones that meets my requirements I think I'll try to get them.

Yamahas MSP seems to be good, but the MSP7 are more expensive for me than the 8320 system, so I don't think they are an option.

I'd heard one Yamaha HS5, but again not in the best situation, in a showroom closed but with a smartphone output. I heard that at high levels the sounds seems to be a bit overcompressed or clipped (maybe produced by a poor input signal), and at least for me very flat in terms of soundfield. It seems like the HS7 are very good for the money, but I couldn't try them yet.

Sorry for the long post, and wish you can help me with this. I'm looking to step up my equipment and offer higher quality and even more professional work to my clients.
Genelec are pretty much industry standard for this kind of work these days. get GLM.
Old 7th February 2020 | Show parent
  #28
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgilroy View Post
Don't go into debt, spend wisely and rather invest money in room treatment than into speakers you haven't heard and can't check in your room. Speakers come and go, room treatment stays.

Buy cheap and buy wisely. You can always upgrade. Learn with what you got and there may be surprising findings. Sometimes cheaper gear yields better results. Look at those Yamaha NS10s that ruled studios for over a decade. Those were rather cheap speakers and surpassed in quality by many offerings on the market. Yet they allowed for superior translation and became the de-facto standard.

Don't let reviews and videos fool you. Monitor preferences are highly idiosyncratic and depend on a lot of variables: room, genre, listening experience, source gear etc. You have to hear yourself, there is no substitute.
Hi, thanks for all, finally I went to a store and tried the Yamahas HS5 with the JBL 305p mkII, and notice that Yamahas, to my ears and in that place has a bit tad cleaner highs, sound less hyped to me, less bass response but cleaner and tighter highs and lows, at least to my ears, plus I got a very very good price, and bought them.

I'd tried them in my actual room and sounds better than my mackies, not the change I was wishing for but better now in an untreated room, I feel like they wont be my equipement for life but they will do the job right now.

When I get more cash, I'll go with more professional equipement, but more or less they are better than what I expected.
Old 8th February 2020
  #29
Lives for gear
 
dickiefunk's Avatar
I’ve used the JBL 305’s and I was genuinely surprised at how good they were especially for the price they cost (£180 for the pair brand new!!). I think they offer fantastic value for money and I could happily mix on them. My own monitors are Neumann KH120’s and I love them. I auditioned several pairs of monitors here before settling with them. Some I compared them against cost a lot more!
Whilst they are clearly a step up from the JBL’s they definitely don’t perform 6x better which is how much they cost compared to the JBL’s!
Old 8th February 2020
  #30
Love my Neumann KH120s.
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 507 views: 260439
Avatar for Bluzzi
Bluzzi 23rd May 2018
replies: 0 views: 495
Avatar for TBZ_092
TBZ_092 26th March 2015
replies: 1 views: 900
Avatar for gsdfhu3
gsdfhu3 19th April 2019
replies: 61 views: 4005
Avatar for konkon
konkon 14th March 2020
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump